Looking For Recipe--Poss Canadian?

Baking By auntsteff Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 12:46am by jojo0676

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 5

My mother has been looking for years for the recipe for some cookies that her mother made for my mother when she was a child. Since her mother (my grandmother) died when my mother was a teenager, she does not know where she could find it.

Anyway, the cookie is a shortbread-type thumbprint cookie with currant jelly in the thumbprint.

My grandmother was French-Canadian, which is why I think the recipe may be Canadian.

PS...I did look through the cookie recipes here on CC, and I have looked in the First American Cookie Cookbook (I think that's what it's called) that has recipes from the early 20th century through about the beginning of WWII.

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #2 of 5

How about these?

http://www.quick-easy-recipes.com/thumbprint-cookie-recipes.html

or

http://www.culinary.net/recipes/cookies/3800-jamfilledthumbprintcookies.html

Not sure they are Canadian per se, but I think there are versions of jam thumbprint cookies all over the world. Perhaps the jam/flavour distinguishes the nationality more than anything else? icon_confused.gif My mum is British and made them for us, though I'm Canadian. I always assumed she had the recipe from childhood and not from our new country? Hmmm icon_confused.gif

auntsteff Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:12am
post #3 of 5

Thanks, I sent those on to Mom, maybe one of those is the right one

PS...love you RI recipe!

auntsteff Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:22am
post #4 of 5

Talked to Mom today, and she thinks that one of the recipes I forwarded to her that you posted here may be it. If it's not exactly it, sounds close. She will try to make them this weekend.

THANKS!!

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #5 of 5

Here is my family recipe for "Thumbprint Cookies". I'm not sure of the origin, my grandmother is Italian. These sound like what you're looking for. They are one of my favorite cookies!

2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup crisco
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsps vanilla

Cream sugar and crisco. Add remaining ingedients. Roll into a log and slice. Imprint with thumb and fill with jelly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

HTH.

Mary Jo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%