Help- Writing On The Side Of A Cake

Decorating By Rochelle1 Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 3:57am by Rochelle1

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 11

I need to write on the side of a cake. The cake is covered in regular fondant and rolled buttercream fondant mix. I tried stencilling on with chocolate but it did not work the stencil curling up in places. I am upting for free hand.

Problem is the rolled butter cream and regular fondant mix not absorbing the colour. I mixed rum with colouring like I generally do when painting flowers and used it but it is not bright . The fondant not absorbing colours. The fondant is quite shiny and I think it is from the butter. What am I to do. I think the grease is preventing anything from absorbing.

The sample is for tomorrow. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I am so in a panic

Rochelle
LL

10 replies
lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:12am
post #2 of 11

Would it be too fat or sticking out if you did the writing in tinted royal icing?

Hope you find the solution

Rochelle1 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:56am
post #3 of 11

I test run piping with Royal icing. While it holds the effect is not the same. Not sure if it will appeal to the customer. ANymore suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks
Rochelle

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 11

Edible image wrapped around the side of the cake?

Rochelle1 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 11

I thought of edible image already. But the cake base colour is in turquoise and words in brown. Thought of printing and cutting out words but was worried the writing is too small to cut around the edge without damaging.

Rochelle

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:54am
post #6 of 11

I hope you find something that works.

I know it's probably not the look you want, but it is possible to do the writing in brown on an edible image and make the background turquoise, so that when you print it it might be close to the color of the icing.

It might work if you are really, really stuck.

I don't think cutting around the letters would work, as you said.

I'm not familiar with the fondant/rolled buttercream mix and I'm not sure exactly what is happening when you say the writing is not bright. Can you post a picture of how it looks so far, maybe we can come up with something?

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:34am
post #7 of 11

I agreed with projectqueen,
I would try to match the color with the edible image first and than match the fondant to the paper.

Good luck

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:06am
post #8 of 11

Yes, if you print out your text using a background as close in color as possible to the fondant, then you can use the text as a guide to write over in RI, or even use Candy Writers. Of course use as light an edible surface as you can, say rice paper maybe.

Best of luck to you...if you succeed, it'll be gorgeous!! Be sure to post a photo when all done!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Rochelle1 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 11

Thank for all the suggestions help and support. However I was not able to get the design. I tried the RI but it just was not the same. As well as the bride did not really like the cake sample among other things.
Rochelle

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:32am
post #10 of 11

The original cake used a custom made stencil. It's a Wendy Krommer design I believe, shown/popularized by Martha Stewart.

I would have tried tappits.

Rochelle1 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #11 of 11

Leahs Tappits? What are those or what is that? I would love to know because I loved the design and wondered how it was done.

Thanks
Rochelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%