Woohoo! Sps Transport Success!

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm by JodieF

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #1 of 15

YAY! Ok so I'm so happy to say that I'm a SPS supporter! I just used it for the first time this weekend and transported a 4 tier wedding cake completely assembled with much success. Let me also add, that I traveled literally up a mountain with this thing in the back of my Moutaineer. Anyone who has been in upstate NY will certainly understand when I say I went up the Catskill Mountains.

Anyway, anyone who has ever stressed with a cake transport, please, please buy this system! It is so worth the $20 that you'll spend per cake for this. I'll never go back again!

Here's a pic of my cake!
LL

14 replies
CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:55am
post #2 of 15

I have never used it! So you say $20 per cake. So do you charge a rental fee and be sure to recieve them back or do you just add the price to the cake?

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:19am
post #3 of 15

Well, I did this cake for friends of mine and let them use my cake plateau, so I left it up to saying - if I get them back when they return the plateau, that's great, if not, no worries. But, in the future, I'm going to charge $20 in the cost of the cake and leave it up to them, if they want to return them, they get $20 back, if not, they paid for the pieces.

Does anyone else have any other ways they do it?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:46am
post #4 of 15

I add a $20 "equipment fee" to the cost of the cake. It's a line item on my invoice. I just say, "Without the equipment set your cake will fall down. " No objections.

And Welcome to the SPS chorus. Stand tall and sing out loud!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:32am
post #5 of 15

Yup...I just add it into my price as a line item and I don't have a problem at all. I just started using the system a few months ago and I am in love with it. I drove with a 3 tiered cake completely assembled over 100 miles and it was perfect upon delivery!! It was my sister's wedding and I was the Matron of Honor and really didn't have time to do much to the cake when I got it there so I was happy that I was able to pop into the back of the SUV and not worry about it!!thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 15

will the SPS supports work with the wilton plates? BTW - that is a beautiful cake!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 15

will the SPS supports work with the wilton plates? BTW - that is a beautiful cake!!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 15

I just used them for the first time yesterday too....on my monstrous big 50th anniversary cake. Take a look, please? It barely stayed on the homepage and I love that cake!
I didn't try to take it assembled, but mostly because it was WAY too heavy. But, I've joined the SPS chorus, for sure! An elderly lady bumped the table pretty hard, but the cake stood proud!

Jodie

leah_s Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 15

SPS is a system. Buy the SPS legs and SPS plates together.

leah_s Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 15

Back away from the Wilton stuff, Loucinda, back away.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 15

Congratulations. Your cake looks great and is giving me more confidence for a cake I have due the end of the month. I am also a new convert and just used the SPS plates/pillars this weekend after a disaster last weekend. That was just for a two tiered cake delivered 3 blocks away from me. The end of the month, I'll have a larger cake due with a longer trip few good turns/bends in the road -- country roads that aren't always the best. If you can deliver that tall of a cake up the mountains in upstate NY, I think I'll be ok! icon_smile.gif

PS - Thanks Leahs for the great instructions. You should really look into getting some kind of commission from them! icon_smile.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore

PS - Thanks Leahs for the great instructions. You should really look into getting some kind of commission from them! icon_smile.gif

I second that!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:31am
post #13 of 15

Ok... I admit...I have not used the system yet... Just haven't needed it yet... Wish I would have had it earlier in the year... BUT...I have a wedding cake coming up at the first of the year that could really bring me in some good clients. It is an "off-set" Square... As in...square, 90 degree, square... I can't imagine why it wouldn't work for this cake? Tell me that they don't have to be a straight stack...

Thanks! icon_smile.gif
Pat

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:55am
post #14 of 15

I must be dumb because I fail to see how this system is any different than the method I use. I use hidden pillars and the feet on the plate fit right into the pillars.

Of course the SPS system doesn't take out any servings from what I can see as where the hidden pillars takes out a few. How do the supports affix themselves to the plates. It seems to me that a cake can still topple over as one tier is not connected to another.

Someone please explain to me. I would love to invest in a system that doesn't take away so much cake from the serving count.

Thanks everyone for drawing me a picture.....litterally!!! icon_razz.gificon_redface.gif

Amy

BTW, congratulations on a successful trip up the mountains with your cake. It is simply beautiful!!!!!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 15

The pillars snap tight into the plates. There is also a little post on the top of the plate. You punch a hole in the cardboard round before you put the cake on it. Then you set the cake with the post in the hole. It's extra protection to keep the cakes from sliding. You put the pillars into the plate then press the whole thing into the cake. Then you put the next cake on.

I bought the system for this cake because it was so big. An elderly lady even knocked into the cake table. The cake didn't budge.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1254183

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%