For Those Who Watch "challenge" On Fn

Decorating By doughdough Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm by saramachen

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 92

Don't get me wrong, I love that show! It is my dream to be on that show one day. BUT...

Why does Kerry Vincent have to be a judge almost every single time??!?

Before anyone jumps down my throat about dissing Kerry, I only have the upmost respect for her and her amazing cake decorating talent. She is definately one of the best traditional cake people out there. But that's just it: she specializes in TRADITIONAL cake decorating. And 9 times out of 10, "Challenge" revolves around non-traditional cakes.

For example, the last episode I saw was the "Cirque du Soleil" Cakes. Kerry was walking around the different cakes, scrunching up her nose at them and kept saying "I just don't get it." She was complaining about the different contestants' technique, but most competitors were using WAY differnent decorating skills than Kerry does. One girl (I can't think of her name right now...she was the one with the pink hair) was in tears about what Kerry had said about her cake, and felt like she would have had to go against her own style to please her.

So I guess I just feel that Food Network needs to find some different judges depending on the theme of the challenge. And again, I think Kerry Vincent is a wonderful talent, but maybe not the greatest choice for a judge all the time.

91 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 92

Ok, I think very highly of Mrs. Vincent, but you hit it right on the head -

She is a star of traditional cake decorating, not modern cake decorating.
And she is not one to step outside her comfort zone, even if it means that she is wrong.

I adore her work, but I also feel she has no business being a judge on most of those challenges, as she has no experience with some of the mediums.

How can she judge a candy castle when she does not work with candy or chocolate on a regular basis?

And even in cake challenges, she refuses to acknowledge that cake decorating has evolved so much, so quickly, that styles and techniques are modified to accommodate today's taste in cakes - which is often more cartoonish than traditional. Although plain white and pastel wedding cakes are not outdated, they certainly have had to make room for bright crayon colors and all-black wedding cakes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Etta1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etta1025 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 92

I agree 100%!!

I also wish they'd include a bigger variety of contestants. I think all of the people who have competed are super-talented, but there are hundreds (if not thousands) of talented cake decorators across this country, so why do they continually invite back the same people? I think Norm Davis and Richard Ruskell are great, but if I see them on one more challenge....

lbain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbain Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 92

I totally agree....she can come off realy stuck up some time and i just feel like she should be critical but not to the point of tears because these people are pro's and thats why they are on the show...

I know this is a little off topic but I LOVE the guy who does all the characters! HE IS AMAZING!! and funny!! he did the scooby doo cake? anyone know his name?

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 92

I think that hard to please judge keeps things interesting.

Etta1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etta1025 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 92

lbain -- you're thinking of Mike McCarey from Mike's Amazing Cakes.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 92

I guess I never got this impression from watching Kerry Vincent. I think she is a stickler for details, though. And to be honest, I didn't get much out of the Cirque cakes. It was probably my least favorite FN Challenge I've seen. I'd really like to see a different format...though I don't know what, exactly. Throw in a new twist or something. Maybe do another one where they team up a "newbie" with a professional.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 92

Well, I was certainly pleased when I saw Colette Peters judge one of those competitions. It was about time that someone who actually did the 6 hour rush was a judge.

And I believe that there have been enough people who have done the 6 hours that all the judges they have been using and re-using can be replaced by someone who has actually spent their share of time on the other side of the table.

Who better to be judged than by those who have actually been there?

I would love to see the current batch of judges behind the table, while being judged by past winners. Really, if you want to talk the talk, you'd better be willing to walk the walk.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 92

Bummer...I don't remember one where Colette judged! I bet that was a good one. And I agree it might be fun to watch the judges getting judged!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 92

I agree with GeminiRJ in that KV is a stickler for details...not just any details though...clean, finished, details.

I believe she has had her share of "outside the box" cakes and designs.

While there are other judges who focus on different aspects of the challenge...overall look, working habits of the team.

As for the team with the girl that wound up in tears, she wasn't being asked to go against her style, but more to hold true to her style. Her team had a few setbacks and her details that should've been a focal point wound up being haphazardly placed on the cake. I think her design was awesome it just wasn't executed as well as some of the others.

I would like to clarify that I respect everyone's talent who has been on those shows(yes, even the cake diva's). They are under a lot of pressure and out of their element. I was not disrespecting anyone.

I'm sorry, I got OT.

I do think it would be awesome to see Kerry Vincent in one of the challenges...maybe with the girl who does the upside down hanging type cakes.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 92

on that same challenge for "cirque du soleil" , that guy who made the "arm" made with rkt and covered w/fondant (dont remember his name),got really upset and wanted to "jump across the table and tackle her",when she said it looked more like an air conditioning duct.i actually agree with her though. it just didnt look right .

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 92

Yay to new judges!!!! thumbs_up.gif

doughdough Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etta1025

I agree 100%!!

I also wish they'd include a bigger variety of contestants. I think all of the people who have competed are super-talented, but there are hundreds (if not thousands) of talented cake decorators across this country, so why do they continually invite back the same people? I think Norm Davis and Richard Ruskell are great, but if I see them on one more challenge....

Yep, I agree! There have got to be tons of cake decorators chomping at the bit to get on!

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #14 of 92

If we could cast our own Challenge, what would be the theme, and which CCers would we have participate?

(Not trying to make this into a popularity contest---Think about what the challenge would be and try to match CCers with a particular style to the challenge. There are some great cakers who may not be associated with the style that goes with the challenge.)

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 92

I agree Kerry Vincent is extremely talented, but I think she could stand to be educated on the concept of constructive criticism. Although many times I agree with what she is critiquing, I think she is needlessly harsh and I have never heard her speak in any context where she didn't come across as talking down to everyone else, and she does seem to be unable to appreciate certain aesthetics that are different from her own.

I love these shows, but they do need to get more variety of decorators and judges. I could never imagine working under that kind of pressure, though! I don't mind an audience, but I cannot work that fast. I'm more of a "slow and steady wins the race" kinda gal, LOL! I think Mike McCarey (sp?) would be a great judge, he does lots of different techniques, and seems to be a nice guy. Bronwen would be a great judge, too. She is so bubbly! As far as contestants, there are soooo many great decorators around.

As far as challenges, I would like to see something that required all buttercream work! Piping is getting to be a lost art, and is seriously under-appreciated in competition.

What do you guys think of the challenges where a "customer" decides the winner? I'd prefer judges that KNOW cake decorating, maybe with a layperson on the panel, but not making the final decision.

doughdough Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:12pm
post #16 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

What do you guys think of the challenges where a "customer" decides the winner? I'd prefer judges that KNOW cake decorating, maybe with a layperson on the panel, but not making the final decision.

Don't like them as well. That challenge when the squeaky-clean engaged couple got to pick their wedding cake...I seriously wanted to gag mulitple times! They just need to stick to judges...and I agree that Mike M & Bronwen would make great ones! Same with Elisa Strauss & Colette (who was a great judge in the gingerbread challenge!).

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #17 of 92

I would like to see them go back to more time.
The decorators are asked to do more difficult and elaborate things each challenge, but the time has been reduced. It used to be 8 hours, the last one I saw was 6!
How can they even attempt to get finished? I don't want the winner to be the one closest to having a complete cake - I want to see finished cakes. However, there needs to be time to do so!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #18 of 92

if i was queen of the world mike m and bronwin w would judge...and that norman dude would be banned...

i guess they need kerry for the "simon cowell effect"

oh yeah colette can judge too.....and i like the gal who is the older sister...i can't remember her name....she won a couple of times.

oh yeah!...anyone who knows the guy from ECG...he'll be o there competing soon...he told me he'd be the good lookin red haired guy.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:00pm
post #19 of 92

I completely agree that they need to add time BACK. I watched one recently that was an older one where they had 8 hours and the work was much better. I just think that with only 6 hours, they just don't have enough time.

But I lOVE that show!!! It is what got me interested again in cake decorating and then I found CC and all of you guys inspired me even more to try things that I had never tried before and improve my skill level. Thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #20 of 92

I disagree about Kerry. She knows technique better than anyone I've ever seen. And yes, she is critical. But remember, they are editing 6 hours of comments into a one hour show. With cut and paste, they can make you look like Paula Abdul or Cruella De vil!! I think you can still be edgy or innovative and still show good technique. BTW, those Cirque cakes were awful!

What upsets me most, is where do they get these kids for these elaborate birthday cakes??!! The girl who had her 16th birthday on a yacht!! Why don't they pick someone or an organization that is deserving of a wonderful cake? Rather than make a cake for some (insert name here), motivate these decorators to make something inspiring. Public t.v., a literacy group/ ALA/ banned books week, breast cancer/ Susan G. Komen, Share Our Strength -- just to name a few. I guess I'm just so sick of the MTV-Super-Sweet-Sixteen-types taking over.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #21 of 92

There have been some snags with some of the judges working with KV. Some refuse to judge again. KV does seem to be the Simon for the challenges.

Boy, how I would love to be on a challenge. I do agree that they need more than six hours. With the level of difficulty and expectations, it would be extremely tough to do well in six hours.

I also believe that there should be a lunch/restroom break for the decorators. Right now, the contestants are not supposed to leave the area. By the end of the day you know they are dying of hunger and need to RUN to the restroom.

Finding new decorators and judges would really improve the ratings for this show. More realistic themes might help. Cirque de Soleil was really out there.

Michele

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:20pm
post #22 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

What upsets me most, is where do they get these kids for these elaborate birthday cakes??!! The girl who had her 16th birthday on a yacht!! Why don't they pick someone or an organization that is deserving of a wonderful cake? Rather than make a cake for some (insert name here), motivate these decorators to make something inspiring. Public t.v., a literacy group/ ALA/ banned books week, breast cancer/ Susan G. Komen, Share Our Strength -- just to name a few. I guess I'm just so sick of the MTV-Super-Sweet-Sixteen-types taking over.

Amen!! I wholeheartedly agree.

kbrown99 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm
post #23 of 92

I realize that I don't make these types of cakes. (I just did my first tiered/stacked cake for my in-laws anniversary a couple months ago), but I think it's ridiculous that moving it is part of the competition. From what I hear on this forum, unless you use one of the SPS or SFS systems, you don't transport and move a stacked cake. Usually you put it together on-site and pipe any last minute touches that need to be done. Am I reading the threads wrong to think this?

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm
post #24 of 92

i love watching them too and i wish they would not use the same people over and over. i love all those challenges and even the pilsbury bake offs, etc. I must say that I am addicted to the food network and their website. icon_smile.gif

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:37pm
post #25 of 92

What I want to know......has any CC been on the show? Or even the ultimate recipe showdown?

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm
post #26 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etta1025

I agree 100%!!

OMG I totally agree!! I don't think that 3D cake sculpting is really their "thing". I'd love to see some new people!!!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #27 of 92

I agree they need to have new people. I cant wait until the Christmas Challenge because Bronwen Weber will be competing again!!!

As far as Kerry goes I LOL when that guy said he wanted to tackle her for the comment she made icon_lol.gif

doughdough Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:48pm
post #28 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown99

I realize that I don't make these types of cakes. (I just did my first tiered/stacked cake for my in-laws anniversary a couple months ago), but I think it's ridiculous that moving it is part of the competition. From what I hear on this forum, unless you use one of the SPS or SFS systems, you don't transport and move a stacked cake. Usually you put it together on-site and pipe any last minute touches that need to be done. Am I reading the threads wrong to think this?

I think it depends on the style, but yes, most people I know of do assembly on-sight, especially when there are pillars & whatnot.

I don't mind the cake moving so much. I really can't think of many instances where a cake has bit the dust in the move (except maybe that poor Monsters Inc. cake!).

I also think they should increase the time limit back to 7 or 8 hours...I'm sure it has something to do with adding drama, therefore boosting the excitement factor for us viewers.

kbrown99 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:55pm
post #29 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbear

I don't mind the cake moving so much. I really can't think of many instances where a cake has bit the dust in the move (except maybe that poor Monsters Inc. cake!).

That was the one I was thinking of. But, to be fair, Mike wasn't supposed to be on top, but he had to do it to meet the height requirement when the door he'd made (pastillage or something) fell apart.

But some of those cakes are so heavy and elaborate, my back hurts just watching them move the cakes those few feet. I think it was Bronwen one time that had to have extra help.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:55pm
post #30 of 92

Elserj - YES! Rebecca Sutterby from http://www.sugarcreations.com/ is a member here! She hasn't been on in quite sometime - but she is a member and has WON a Challenge! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%