Help, Can You Use Chocolate Icing Under White Fondant?

Decorating By PollyMaggs Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm by debster

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 8

Heres the deal, my dad wants a 3 tiered cake with chocolate icing, but he wants each tier a gem color, ruby, sapphire and emerald. Do I use white fondant over the chocolate icing and paint the fondant, or do i use red, green and blue fondant and paint it to the color tone I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dads can be such a pain, but who can say no to their dad?...lol

7 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 8

I would probably start with the colored fondant then dry brush with vivid luster dusts if you don't have an airbrush, or start with white and just airbrush the heck out of it if you do have one.

And yes, you can use choc icing under white fond.

PollyMaggs Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much, I read on another post that you are not sopossed to use white fondant on chocolate icing because it shows through, so I was confused as what to do. I have not done a cake with these colors before and want it too look great for my dad. I dont have an airbrush, so I will try the colored fondant and hope to get it to the color tones I need. Should I use dry brush or mix the luster dust with vodka and paint it?
Thanks again,
Polly

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 8

Painting will give the most shine, but can be streaky. Whoever has chocolate icing showing thru is rolling thier fondant waaay too thin! (mine is 1/8").

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 8

I just made a cake with chocolate icing and white fondant, it worked OK (In fact I asked here the same question). You have to be extra careful when covering the cake with fondant because you can see any little chocolate spot. Do it right the first time and do not roll fondant too thin. HTH

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 8

I'm with Kory...just use colored fondant and then add the sparkle last. It will look way more even (and professional!) icon_smile.gif

PollyMaggs Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all so much for your help. I am just learning, self taught with the help from this sight. I have only done 5 cakes so far, if you get a chance I would love some feedback on my cakes in my photos.
Thanks again
Polly

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 8

I just looked at your photos, WOW your off to a GREAT start. Love the sugar bag!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%