Convection Ovens/hoods Etc

Business By schildwaster Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm by schildwaster

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 3

There is a store front that just became available in my town. I have previously passed one up because of timing issues. I can bake, I can decorate, I can do the books and be legal. I am working out of my home through the Dept. of Agriculture in NY. I have the business to expand.
But I don't know anything about convection ovens and how much 70,000 BTU really is... I want to know what kind of setup you have to have for your convection ovens, do you have to have some air exchange system, hood, etc. How does the oven part work? I know about the sinks and dept of health but fire saftey, I've got no clue. I will be looking into this further, but I'm looking for some information from you ladies explained in laymans (sp) terms. Hopefully somebody understands what I'm asking.


2 replies
lulus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulus Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:48am
post #2 of 3

From what I understand, you are trying to ask if your oven is going to require a hood, and if so, what kind. In Tulsa, I just went through this with the Health Dept. Regardless of whether my oven is gas or electric, I have to have a commercial vent hood with grease filters and Ansul fire system, with return air.
My suggestion is to call your Health Dept. and ask them to give you specifics, so you can better arm yourself. Sorry if this was not much help to you, I have found that even within the same Dept., you can get different answers depending upon the person you speak to.

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 3

Yes thank you that is exactly what I was asking.

I know that game all too well with one person interpreting something totally different that someone else in the same department.

Quote by @%username% on %date%