Ok, Need Your Advice!! I Am So Conflicted!

Business By loriemoms Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 5:41pm by loriemoms

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:59am
post #31 of 34

I just want to add to what homecook said about hiring employees. While I think that it can be a lot of help, just make sure that you hire them and they start on your least busy week. My husband used to have his own business and sometimes he put off hiring someone new just because of the time it took him to familiarize them with what's going on, make sure they knew their job details, etc...Plus you'll have all the health dept. stuff to teach this person. I think it's a good idea to hire someone, just don't do it the week you have a bunch of cakes to do!!

Good Luck!

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 12:29pm
post #32 of 34

Loriemoms don't close! your cakes are great and our area does need you! I think is a great idea to hire a student to do the boring/time consuming baking and making icings (of course with quality control), and you can take care of the gum paste/decorating stuff. Plus, if your husband is willing to deal with brides that will free up a lot of time! Also, how about raising your prices a little bit? since you are so busy maybe you need to revise your pricing. Once you start getting good and reaching another level you need to be more expensive...you don't see Ron Ben Israel baking 100 cakes a week!
Hang in there and once i become licenced you can throw the little/boring cakes at me! icon_biggrin.gif

bpshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpshirley Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #33 of 34

Hire someone to wash dishes and clean your work area!
Also, for the set celebration cakes, order frozen sheet cakes from a food service. Save your baking energy for wedding cakes and specialty cakes.
It'll take a lot of pressure off you and you'll enjoy your work more =)

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:41pm
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpshirley

Hire someone to wash dishes and clean your work area!
Also, for the set celebration cakes, order frozen sheet cakes from a food service. Save your baking energy for wedding cakes and specialty cakes.
It'll take a lot of pressure off you and you'll enjoy your work more =)

Actually, Frozen cakes aren't that cheap and most of my cakes are sculpted cakes. Not even counting how NASTY those things taste!!
Also, the storage involved would be a nightmare! But I am going to have whoever I hire to bake do the cleaning too...will be very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%