What Brand Of Sugar Should I Buy??? New To The Usa.

Decorating By xstitcher Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm by HerBoudoir

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 15

Hi Everyone,

I just moved to Raleigh from Canada and have signed up for a Wilton class starting tomorrow and need to make some icing for class. I remember reading on some links here about some brands of sugar not being the best to use but do not recall any particular names. I've done a search but still could not find anything so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

TIA icon_smile.gif

14 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 15

I'm not really sure what type of sugar you are looking for if it's for b/c then 10x powdered sugar is what you need and i just get the store brand.
Welcome to the US and I hope you enjoy

HTH

kaytec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytec Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 15

I was told in my first Wilton Class that C & H gives you the whitest BC. I have never tried the store brand and always have good results with the C & H. We are starting class III on Tuesday icon_biggrin.gif
Have fun!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 15

I buy Domino Sugar icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 15

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses!

Do they carry these brands at all the stores? I have a Food Lion just minutes from my place and a Walmart a little further out.

P.S. Is C&H short for something or is that the actual name icon_redface.gif !

Thanks again!

Yamiari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yamiari Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 15

Hi

http://www.chsugar.com/Consumer/powdered.html

http://www.dominosugar.com/products/confectioner.asp

I Hope this helps! Good Luck and have fun in the Wilton class.

Yami

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 15

For practice in the Wilton class, I usually just bought Walmart's or Sav-A-Lot's brand. It still looked pretty and tasted good.

joylee8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joylee8 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 15

I just use Wal-marts brand of sugar icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:27am
post #9 of 15

My Wilton instructor explained that Wilton recommends pure cane sugar. Most 10X sugars in the US are now a combination of beet sugar and cane sugar. C&H and Domino are "pure cane sugar" - no beet sugar added. They cost more than the store brands or the wholesale club brands. There is apparently a bit of controversy over beet sugar in the culinary arts field - some say that beet sugar is inferior. Scientists declare that there is no detectable difference in taste or behavior. I have always used just any 10X sugar and had no problems, but I possibly am simply not educated enough to recognize the differences. I actually e-mailed the company that distributes the Costco brand of 10x, and their representative told me that they use whatever type is available at the best price, so it is a blend of cane and beet with a bit of cornstarch to keep it from clumping . No problems for me icon_lol.gif . What did you have available in Canada?

Howiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Howiesmom Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:37am
post #10 of 15

Welcome to Raleigh! I'm really close to you actually. I live in Wendell which is about 20 minutes east of Raleigh. If I shop at Food Lion, I usually use whatever they have in stock. Most of the time I shop at Sams Club. Their prices for sugar are great! If you are planning on making alot of cakes, a Sams Club membership might be worth it to you! If you need any info about the area, please contact me!

Nancy

xstitcher Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:41am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

My Wilton instructor explained that Wilton recommends pure cane sugar. Most 10X sugars in the US are now a combination of beet sugar and cane sugar. C&H and Domino are "pure cane sugar" - no beet sugar added. They cost more than the store brands or the wholesale club brands. There is apparently a bit of controversy over beet sugar in the culinary arts field - some say that beet sugar is inferior. Scientists declare that there is no detectable difference in taste or behavior. I have always used just any 10X sugar and had no problems, but I possibly am simply not educated enough to recognize the differences. I actually e-mailed the company that distributes the Costco brand of 10x, and their representative told me that they use whatever type is available at the best price, so it is a blend of cane and beet with a bit of cornstarch to keep it from clumping . No problems for me icon_lol.gif . What did you have available in Canada?

Many thx for the info! I've sent my DH out for the stuff as it got late so we will see what he buys (I've told him what to get but who knows what he'll come home with lol)!

In Canada I used a brand called Rogers Icing Sugar.

Thanks again. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:44am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiesmom

Welcome to Raleigh! I'm really close to you actually. I live in Wendell which is about 20 minutes east of Raleigh. If I shop at Food Lion, I usually use whatever they have in stock. Most of the time I shop at Sams Club. Their prices for sugar are great! If you are planning on making alot of cakes, a Sams Club membership might be worth it to you! If you need any info about the area, please contact me!

Nancy

Hi Nancy!

I'm glad to find someone so close to me who's another CCer to boot!!
I'm actually living on the east side of Raleigh and I'll probably take you up on the offer about more info in the area.

Thanks again for the help!

Parm
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Howiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Howiesmom Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiesmom

Nancy

Hi Nancy!

I'm glad to find someone so close to me who's another CCer to boot!!
I'm actually living on the east side of Raleigh and I'll probably take you up on the offer about more info in the area.

Thanks again for the help!

Parm
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

my email address is [email protected]. you can email me and i'll give you my contact info!

xstitcher Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #14 of 15

Hi Nancy,

I'm sending an email right now!!!!!!!!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm
post #15 of 15

For the Wilton classes, I made the "class buttercream" with Walmart brand 10x sugar and shortening - much cheaper since I don't like shortening-based icing and wouldn't be eating it. Walmart is also the cheapest place to buy cake mix (99 cents vs. 2.39 at the grocery store) if you're so inclined to use those for your practice cakes.

For the most part, I make SMBC (American the other times) - I still use store brand 10x sugar but prefer to use Land O Lakes unsalted butter (but will use Giant store brand unsalted if it's on sale icon_smile.gif)

Have fun with the Wilton classes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%