Latest Decorator Skill Requirement...being Psychic!

Decorating By marknelliesmum Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 5:54pm by waywordz

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 19

Ok so I just want to moan icon_evil.gif
I only do kids stuff, Christenings,birthday cakes etc. - never any 'serious' stuff like some of the big guns on here...maybe one day icon_sad.gif . Anyway it was my son's birthday last week and we had the usual clan gathering for a party..great day. icon_biggrin.gif (His cake is my avatar) Tonight I went to collect him from my mums (granny had him for a sleep over) and mum just happened to throw into the conversation something about the Peppa Pig cake I'm doing for my cousin's daughter in 2 weeks. Err...excuse me? The what? When was this decided, by whom and didn't it dawn on them that they might just have to ask or let me know that they want / expect me to do a cake? Mum had no idea that they hadn't asked - she had been told it was all planned and arranged and was under the impression that I was part of the decision making process...err...NO icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif What makes me mad is that my cousin was in my house last week at the party - if that doesn't jog your memory to ask about a cake what will? Some people icon_rolleyes.gif I guess a free cake is no longer enough (my own fault... i know ...did it once so now it's expected to be free) I'm now expected to use my psychic powers since I'm not worthy of the courtesy of a phone call! I wish I had it in me to say, if and when she asks, 'yeah, i'll do one like this i found on the web - it only costs £70' see here's the price tag!
Sorry for moaning...but some people are just Peppa Pig ignorant!
Thanx for listening

18 replies
marknelliesmum Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 19

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Oops I was so busy ranting and raving that I posted this in the wrong forum - I thought I was in general - my apologies icon_confused.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 19

AnneMarie -

Did you decide to do the cake, or are you still waiting for the cousin to approach you?

I have a snappy answer if you need one.

"I did not know anything about this. If you expect me to be psychic, then you can expect to pay me £3.99 per minute, just like all the other mind readers charge."

Keep us posted as to what transpires.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

marknelliesmum Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 19

icon_lol.gif Thanks Theresa you have made me laugh! icon_lol.gif
She still hasn't asked ...just waiting ... she'll probably phone a day or two before it is needed ( you know what it's like - cakes only take 5 minutes to make, especially sculpted ones icon_evil.gif ) apparently her daughter is all excited and is telling everyone about it. I know I'm a mug but i don't have the heart to devastate a 4 year old just because her mum has neither the manners, nor the sense to ask .

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 19

I agree, we should deliberately disappoint a child because of the behavior of their parents.

Oh, well, the longer she waits, the less decorating you will be able to do on the cake, right?

Were she my cousin, she would end up with a sheet cake and a frozen buttercream transfer. Hey, that's all I would have the time to do. And I hate sheet cakes!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:00am
post #6 of 19

Ring! Ring!

Cousin: Hey, just wondering what time you are bringing the cake over?

Me: What cake?

Cousin: The cake you're making for little suzy-q's birthday tomorrow!

Me: What cake?

Cousin: That fancy dancy really great cake she wants!

Me: (laughing loudly!) Do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that? Why didn't you call me and order it if you wanted a cake like that? I can see if I can squeeze in a plain 'ole sheet cake for you.....

Alternate answer: I'm sorry .... what part of my body did you expect me to pull that cake out of at the last minute?

And I'm sorry, but I would have NO problem telling little suzy-Q "...honey, I would have been HAPPY to make that cake for you but your mommy is a dumba$$ and thought my crystal ball batteries were all charged so she didnt' think she had to actually TELL me that she wanted me to make this very special cake for you. THAT'S why you have no cake!"

I just dont' think it's my place in life to jump thru hoops just so OTHER people can look good. YOU screw it up ... YOU explain it to your kid how YOU screwed up.

But then.... that's just me! icon_rolleyes.gif

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:31am
post #7 of 19

Indydebi once again I am ROTFWL.

This was posted by hellie0h
Never make someone a priority when they only make you an option
!

I love that saying.

If she is not thinking of her daughter why should you. You are not disappointing her child she is. Don't let the "have pity on my child, she'll be disappointed" crap take over. She's 4 her mother won't get over it but she will. But she has learned a lesson maybe.

This will also send a message to all the others wanting freebies, if you want something you have to ask for it in advance or Oh well tough luck too bad.

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #8 of 19

oops double post

indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCook

You are not disappointing her child she is. Don't let the "have pity on my child, she'll be disappointed" crap take over.

AMEN!!! THIS SAYS IT ALL RIGHT THERE!!!!

marknelliesmum Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:42am
post #10 of 19

Oh indydebi you so crack me up icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I nominate you for President (nothing to do with me coz I'm Scottish) but the world could do with someone high profile who kicks a$$ like you do thumbs_up.gif

I know all of you are right with what you are saying but my own wee boy would be devastated too. He is very fond of this wee girl and is excited about her cake - they have obviously been blethering about it and when i googled PP earlier to see how difficult it would be he saw the screen and launched in to this excited rant about it.

Talking of quotes form here there was a fab one the other day 'sorry, my crystal ball was in the dish washer' icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanx for letting me moan though - I just sooooooooo love this place and the people on it, great recipes, great support, great laughs and great therapy!

You guys are fab! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #11 of 19

indydebi you are great, I would love to be able to actually say some of these things to people sometimes. would really shut them up fast

indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

indydebi you are great, I would love to be able to actually say some of these things to people sometimes. would really shut them up fast

Most of my family members are dumba$$es, so I get lots of opportunity for practice! icon_biggrin.gif

marknelliesmum Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:59am
post #13 of 19

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ROFL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Most of my family members are dumba$$es, so I get lots of opportunity for practice!

I don't often bother coz mine are too dumb to work out what i'm talking about...maybe I should try sending telepathic messages and develop my psychic skills since they are clearly rusty!

Have you seen the 'email a cake ' thread? Oh I've just had sooooooo much fun Icing some cyber cakes - I'll leave it to your imagination what I wrote, it certainly wasn't Happy Birthday Freya! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ( Obviously I didn't send them either - I'm not as brave as indydebi icon_wink.gif )

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:18am
post #14 of 19

Why not give her a call now and ask her what the deal is? Just tell her that your mom mentioned this cake that you were suppose to do and you had no clue what she was talking about.

If you wait for her last minute call and produce the cake she wants aren't you just training her to do that same thing in the future?

I'd finish the call up by making sure to mention that *insert your son's name*'s cake took me X many days to actually complete, not to mention planning time. I need more than a day's notice to do a cake.

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:27am
post #15 of 19

marksmum; my horns went up in response to yours I guess, I had such a funny/evil idea pop into my head. Make the cake with all the bells and whistles. When she calls a day or two ahead of the party wanting the cake tell her; "It's all ready. (insert childs name; _____) is gonna love it, but, since I had to use not only my remarkable cake talents, of which there are many, thank goodness! I also had to drag my psychic abilities into use since you neglected to call me with any of the details before now. So, I'm going to have to charge you $XXX to cover my time and my talent as not only cake decorator but, also as a psychic!

waywordz Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:03am
post #16 of 19

marksmum said...
Have you seen the 'email a cake ' thread? Oh I've just had sooooooo much fun Icing some cyber cakes -

No, but, I've been looking through a bunch of the threads and I can't find it. Where was that at. I want to try it! Help! Tia.

marknelliesmum Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:51am
post #17 of 19

email a cake was posted in the general forum by bblwise (i hope that's accurate! icon_redface.gif ) and she totally gets the credit for this I've copied it to save you trawling through threads -MY INTENTION IS NOT TO CLAIM IT AS MY OWN (i'm not yelling, just making clear this is not mine - you know what this place is like! icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Has anyone seen this cake writing generator?

Kind of neat if you want to email a cake!

http://www.redkid.net/generator/cake/

It is so much fun![/b]

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:25am
post #18 of 19

Reading your post made my hackles rise! What a cheek! And to use your mum as the intermediary in her game plan. I suppose that's family for you. Can't live with them, can't live without them.

waywordz Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:54pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks marksmum. I found it and it was under bblwise. Went to it and it was COOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%