How To Cover 2 Halves Of A Cake With Different Fondant Color

Decorating By serenelui Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 10:04am by serenelui

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all.. i need help! I am suppose to do a devil and angel cake for a girl and the idea i got was to decorate 1/2 the cake to represent the devil side and for the other 1/2 to be decorated as the angel side.

However, the girl insists that the cake be covered in fondant and i was wondering whether its possible to cover 1/2 the cake in a red colour fondant (for the devil side) and the other 1/2 of the cake to be covered in blue colour fondant (for the angel side) and how it can be done and yet still appear smooth and seamless. Can anyone advise me how this can be done?? TIA!

7 replies
lillicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 8

You probably will get a lot of ideas, and it would depend on the shade of blue you are going for. But if pale blue was acceptable, I think I would cover the whole cake in that and then use an airbrush or a can (or two...) of the Wilton spray paint to color half of it red. I would mask the half not to be colored and spray away. I think that would be the best way to get decent contrast in color without having a "break" in the continutiy of the fondant. If the blue is light enough, the red should cover it without bleeding.

Otherwise, you could probably use two different colors and line them up well, or cut them together on the cake (like you do with wallpaper--overlap slightly and cut a single line, then remove the trim from each side and press the seam together. I think if I did that, I would cut the "seam" at an angle, so you won't have a crack through which you can see cake (only the layer underneath). Maybe you could rub a little cornstarch into the crack.

I hope that helps, or someone who has done it enough can give you a better steer!

serenelui Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 8

thanks lilicakes!! Unfortunately i don't have a spray gun so guess i'll probably have to do things the hard way by following your 2nd suggestion :p

I haven't done a lot of fondant cakes so am a bit worried that if i cover 1/2 the cake first then the other half.. i would end up squeezing the underlying icing into the gaps between the 2 halves while molding the fondant onto the cake.. icon_sad.gif

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 8

The Cinco De Mayo cake in my photos was done in all white fondant and then I just mixed color with Vodka and painted the 3 colors on. Just used a toothpick to poke a few tiny holes so I'd get straight lines.

I have even seen them use that really LOW TACK blue tape (that painters use) to tape off on fondant while painting cakes on Ace of Cakes.

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 8

i would probably roll out both colors side by side, then overlap them and roll them together along the seam...careful to keep the line straight. but you should be able to roll them together so they bond pretty well and if you overlap an inch or so there won't be any gap. roll it til it's flat so there's no bump, it'll just be a seamless transition. if they don't seem to be sticking together (they really should, but if they don't) you can paint a little water along the edge of the bottom color and that'll glue them together. then you'll end up with one solid piece, half red and half blue, and cover the cake with that. if the line doesn't come out totally straight you might be able to trim off a little of the top color with a ruler and x-acto knife, very carefully so you don't nick the bottom color. hope that makes sense. icon_smile.gif maybe somebody else can explain it better.

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 8

I am still new at this, but I just did a half and half cake. One side was read, the other was white.

I rolled out each color, I then cut a straigt line (with a ruler) down the center of each. I took each color and lined up the lines. I then rolled over the red/white line to get the seems together. After that I just rolled it onto the cake.

It came out perfect. Unfortunately I havent figured out how to post my pics on this website yet to show you.

Hope this helps and good luck icon_lol.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

I rolled out each color, I then cut a straight line (with a ruler) down the center of each. I took each color and lined up the lines. I then rolled over the red/white line to get the seems together. After that I just rolled it onto the cake.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

serenelui Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:04am
post #8 of 8

oh wow!! never thought of rolling out the seperate colours then putting them together and rolling them out again... thanks a million you guys!! That's a great suggestion! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%