Sugarveil

Decorating By Nicolle711 Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm by Nicolle711

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 14

Can someone tell me how exactly does sugarveil work and what can you use it for? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 14

Oh good quesitons. I was wondering if it was worth the price and could you use it without purchasing their dispenser?

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 14

go to thier website and look at some of things they have done with it - I TOTALLY LOVE IT!!

the 1lb bag does a lot of stuff - seems to last a while. I really wish someone else would post about how to use/store/keep the "left overs" because it makes so much in a batch.

I think it makes the BEST bows and writing is PERFECT. You can print out almost ANYTHING and trace overit with the sugar veil and turns out perfect. It doesn't dry completely hard so its plyable and moveable without breaking - the stuff ROCKS!

You do NOT have to get the air pen - you can use regular piping bags and tips.

I will recommend the DVD to really see what you can do and avoid mistakes etc...

Nicolle711 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for your insight. I have been reading a little about it but wasn't exactly clear how it worked or what it did. I just knew it was good for lace patterns. I will have to look more into it. But thank you thumbs_up.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 14

From the Sugar Veil Website:

Q3

What is the shelf life of the mixed SugarVeil® Confectionery Icing?

A

Once mixed, SugarVeil may be stored covered in the refrigerator for at least 3 weeks.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 14

I have it and am less than thrilled. I bought the whole kit.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 14

. . . what don't you like about it leahs . . . and what application would you see it valuable for . . . (if any) . . .

Nicolle711 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 14

Really?! How so? What don't you like about it? Sorry for intruding icon_redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I have it and am less than thrilled. I bought the whole kit.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 14

I've seen it too......Please more information from those who have used it......

leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 14

Well, the kit is expensive for what you get - appears to be an aquarium pump and some other off the shelf items in a plastic box. I thought that the items themselves, maybe . . .maybe could reasonably be priced at $79.99. The Sugarveil itself is OK I guess. I just wasn't jazz about it enough to even play with it.

If you're just buying the SugarVeil and NOT the kit, you'll be happy.

There was one one Ebay earlier . . .

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 14

It really is great to work with. However, it WILL eventually dry hard and brittle.

I used it for my guitar strings. I piped lines and let them set up for a few minutes. I was able to actually wrap the strings around the tuners. Very short window of work time, tho. Soon, the strings would get dry and brittle.

Also, the shelf life of the powder is limited. After about 6 months, it won't work properly.

Nicolle711 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 14

Can you use small quantities of the sugarveil? I am not sure if it comes in powdered form or already in a paste where you can just pipe. So if you purchase the 1lb bag of it, can you just use a small quantity or do you have to use it all up b/c once opened it only has a short shelf life? Thanks icon_redface.gif

leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 14

It's a powder. Just mix up what you need.

Nicolle711 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 14

ah ha! I will give it a try then. Thanks for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

It's a powder. Just mix up what you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%