Don't Know How I Feel About This Customer

Business By littlecake Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 8:03pm by Denise

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 39

this guy came in , sent by his boss....i guess they do weddings...with a pic of a wedding cake....

she wants me to do a sample cake 8 inch round (paid for)...to see if i can do it.

i asked him if she was fussy...he paused...i said you can tell me...."yes".

you know, i'm not used to doing a "try out"...i was kinda insulted.

my prices are reasonable...i'm almost always booked...not sure if i want to add a PIA to the mix...

i've been here almost 7 years...not like i'm new....would they ask duff to do a sample cake? icon_confused.gif

38 replies
acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 39

Sure I will do it and the price for an 8" sample cake is.....

You could consider doing the sample at a discounted rate out of professional goodwill, but really!

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 39

I would be booked! Why deal with someone if you don't have to.
BTW: your avatar says genuis, but it's spelled genius!LOL

littlecake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyanddayne

BTW: your avatar says genuis, but it's spelled genius!LOL

i know...it's
my own private joke...i'm dyslexic....lol...only when it comes to vowels....i mix em up every time...i started to change it...but i thought it was funny...misspelling genius when you're claiming to be one... icon_redface.gif

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 39

I am sorry to hijack, but being relatively new..what does PIA mean?

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 39

Pain in the a**

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimpleBaker

I am sorry to hijack, but being relatively new..what does PIA mean?

Pain in the a..

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 39

If i'm correct it means...Pain In (the) A$$

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 39

LOL...Did she get an answer to her question quickly or what???

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 39

Littlecake, it is always good to meet successful women who are dyslexic. My daughter will be 11 soon and she is dyslexic. I'm still having a hard time getting her school to admit to it though. They call it an unidentified learning disability but she could potentially be going in 6th grade this year and still reverses things constantly. Whole pages of math problems with reversed answers. She is almost 11 and STILL has problems knowing right from left, over and under, telling time (gets the numbers switched around).

ACK! Can you tell I'm frustrated. However, she is an extremely bright young lady and an incredible artist. I know she will go far but it is hard to keep her from getting frustrated so I like to remind her of the extremely successful dyslexic population.

It just dawned on my I totally hijacked this. Sorry. icon_smile.gif

My opinion on the cake is...do it. They are paying you for it so do it and knock their socks off. Make sure your contract is in order and go for it. If you do this for this guy, he may have quite a bit more business for you down the line.

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 39

Thanks..I think...lol Talk about quick! thumbs_up.gif

littlecake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 39

[quote="MosMom"]Littlecake, it is always good to meet successful women who are dyslexic. My daughter will be 11 soon and she is dyslexic. I'm still having a hard time getting her school to admit to it though. They call it an unidentified learning disability but she could potentially be going in 6th grade this year and still reverses things constantly. Whole pages of math problems with reversed answers. She is almost 11 and STILL has problems knowing right from left, over and under, telling time (gets the numbers switched around).

ACK! Can you tell I'm frustrated. However, she is an extremely bright young lady and an incredible artist. I know she will go far but it is hard to keep her from getting frustrated so I like to remind her of the extremely successful dyslexic population.

It just dawned on my I totally hijacked this. Sorry. icon_smile.gif

my trick for telling my right from left is...when you hold your left hand up...your thumb and first finger form an L....for left.

when i started to learn to write in first grade i did it in a mirror image....

she'll do great, at least these days they know what it is....is she artistic?...i think creative peoples brains are just wired different sometimes.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 39

Girl go with your gut!!!!

Jakap2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jakap2 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 39

Go ahead and do it! You should not be offended by something like that. There are people that want to try things out before they assign to something. Well, since almost everyone is getting married only once, they want it to be perfect. She is paying for samples so do your best to prove her you are worth her business. Hey, that's what it's all about, right?

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

this guy came in , sent by his boss....i guess they do weddings...with a pic of a wedding cake....

she wants me to do a sample cake 8 inch round (paid for)...to see if i can do it.

i asked him if she was fussy...he paused...i said you can tell me...."yes".

you know, i'm not used to doing a "try out"...i was kinda insulted.

my prices are reasonable...i'm almost always booked...not sure if i want to add a PIA to the mix...

i've been here almost 7 years...not like i'm new....would they ask duff to do a sample cake? icon_confused.gif

If their paying for it, whats the problem.
Every time you get a new customer it's pretty much a 'try out' to make them repeat customers.
It's business. She wants to know what she's getting for her money.

Maybe you're just afraid that knowing it's a 'tryout', that she may not use you, therefore you would the be insulted because she would be basically saying that she didn't think you were good enough to do her cake.
Fear of 'what if'?

But as long as you are confident in you skills you should have nothing to worry about.
Make them the sample, take the money. If they use you.. Great. New client and hopefully repeat clients.

If not..on to the next customer. One persons opinion is not a true testiment to your true talents.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 39

. . . your trick for telling the L is left with holding your fingers up never helped me . . . I would have trouble writing letters backwards . . . clearly never knew my left from my right . . . still don't . . .

DYSLEXICS of the world UNTIE

I still have to have my son tell me to turn "your way" or turn "my way" if we are driving and I am taking directions to get some where I've never been icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:54pm
post #17 of 39

I guess its better than asking for free samples...

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #18 of 39

Someone comes to you to buy something you're selling and you're finding a reason to be offended?

You must be doing unbelievably great business, booked to overflowing.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #19 of 39

If she is willing to pay for it, then it's not too bad. But honestly, I would be annoyed enough to institute the PITA tax and charge her a little more on the cake.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 39

It's not so different from a tasting, is it? In fact, I'd ask what flavour/filling etc she'd like to try and kill 2 birds with 1 stone! She's just asking that you decorate the cake like she will ultimately want. Charge the amount you would for that style of cake, and you haven't lost anything.

littlecake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:01pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflydreams

. . . your trick for telling the L is left with holding your fingers up never helped me . . . I would have trouble writing letters backwards . . . clearly never knew my left from my right . . . still don't . . .

DYSLEXICS of the world UNTIE

after reading this several times i just realized this did not say unite!LOLOLOL....ok...perhaps you'll like this other way of telling your left from right....since i "write-right"...with my right hand...i'd pretend i was writing something...then that was my right...BUT...then peeps were thinkin i was havin some kinda joe cocker moment...i tried to think of a less obvious thing to do.

my most hated thing, is when they call asking for directions to the shop...and then wanna know if it's on the west or east or north or whatever...i just tell em i dunno...i left my compass at home.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #22 of 39

I get my "i" and "e" mixed up, my middle name is even spelled wrong on my drivers license because I mixed the two letters up (Liegh instead of Leigh)! icon_redface.gif
I am forever spelling "tier" wrong, and youâd think I would at least get that word right!
And don't even ask me which way to turn, for some reason I always say left when itâs right and right when it's left?

Oh and is'nt north up?icon_wink.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:22pm
post #23 of 39

This could be a really great opportunity for you. You will get paid to let others in the wedding industry enjoy the taste and design work of one of your cakes.
Wow them, and win their business. icon_biggrin.gif
Show the owner that you are a fantastic business woman with incredible skills. Earn her respect. Show her what you are made of. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

my trick for telling my right from left is...when you hold your left hand up...your thumb and first finger form an L....for left.

when i started to learn to write in first grade i did it in a mirror image....

she'll do great, at least these days they know what it is....is she artistic?...i think creative peoples brains are just wired different sometimes.

*holds hands up so both thumbs point to the left* a-AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm
post #25 of 39

Ooohh how many sample cakes is she having? Maybe the wedding planners are just gonna put them all together and make one big cake HA! icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, it is just like a tasting - just with one flavor - no biggie especially if it is payment in advance icon_wink.gif

Take it as a complement, choose to take to job or not, and just be happy to have been asked to be included in the exclusive club icon_rolleyes.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #26 of 39

Do you have a picture of the cake she wants you to test run?

-Debbie B.

littlecake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:35pm
post #27 of 39

well looks like i gotta do it now, the lady just left the shop...and paid for the sample cake....

i can do the design...it's just buttercream ferns on a smooth iced cake.

i dunno, do ya think my customers have ME spoiled?

never thought of that....

ps. i do turn down people who seem like they are going to be a problem....it's just not worth it to me...i find someone who is less problematic will usually take their place.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #28 of 39

i dont see where the problem is...... shes not being a PIA........shes paying you to show her her a cake and if she likes it she'll have you mae another and pay you more money. customers are picky but they do pay our bills, we wanna keep 'em happy. lol

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:09pm
post #29 of 39

I kinda feel you with thoughts of it being a "sample" cake. Really he didn't even have to say "sample"...they could have just ordered your smallest cake and ask you to decorate it in the style they wanted.

The sample issue is real sensitive for me right now...my uncle referred some friends to me, and when I contacted them they come asking for "samples". I didn't do them...told them I might, but ended up "not having time". They pissed me off! What is word of mouth for? Do they go to a new restaurant and ask for samples before ordering...probably NOT!

Anyway, sorry to rant about my thing...but it's good that you are doing the cake...just look at it as another paid order.

Edited to add: Since then I have decided my "sample" policy..."I don't do samples! If you want to "sample" I can tell you the cost and size of my smallest (whatever), you can pay for that, "sample" it, then decide if you want bigger of that!" I told these people samples are for weddings!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm
post #30 of 39

LOL, Littlecake, I do the âwrite-rightâ thing too. In fact I thought I invented it. The funny thing is I have a great sense of direction. Iâm always the navagator on road trips. I just have to do my little âair writingâ to be able to point the way. Iâm not just a poor speller but canât do math to save my life.

MosMom, dyslexics are not just often artistic but also good at verbal communications. If she concentrates on her strong skills, the others just wonât be that important, especially out here in the real world. I was 50 before being diagnosed and thought I was just odd. Iâm a very successful salesperson and as long as my very understanding manager is adding up my orders, I get by just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%