3 Tier Wedding Cake - Transport Questions

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 11:04pm by ladyonzlake

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:47am
post #1 of 10

Would the best way be to transfer it fully assembled, or piece it together there? Also, now this is a stupid question, but when you are taking it from your car to the table it will sit on, are there any pointers so as not to lose the precious cargo? Thanks!!!

9 replies
CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #2 of 10

Well I say it depends if its tiered (with pillars) or stacked just on the boards. I would not transport and assembled cake with pillars. On the other hand, if its stacked, i will. I don't know what you use to support your cakes but I use the bubble tea straws and i use plenty of them. Once I have the cake all assembled, I sharpen a dowel rod and insert it through the entire cake and just threw the top surface of the bottom board. Tip for taking it from the car to the table, don't put flowers or topper on it until you get it on the table. Good luck

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:03am
post #3 of 10

the first time I made a three tiered cake I was way too scared to transport it assembled. that was one of the first cakes I'd ever made. I'd never made anything bigger than two tiers since....until this weekend. I just made a 4 tier cake and because of the design it had to be transported stacked. I had absolutely no problems, other than the traffic jam, what to do with my kids and the flat tire. But that's another story. I used wood dowels to stack the cake and a rather thick center wooden dowel.

Upon delivery I scoped out the room and the cake table before bringing the cake in. I asked someone to hold the door for me and I walked carefully.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #4 of 10

This question really depends on your comfort level...if this is your first three tiered cake and you are using dowels or straws, then I recommend you bring it unassembled, in boxes, so you can carefully set it up. I would try to bring it as cold as you can if it is buttercream, as a cold cake is easier to assemble and handle.

If you want to bring it assembled, I recommend using a locking dowel system, such as bakery crafts SPS or the Anti Stress system. Dowels can shift and fall over inside a cake and you will be able to see this has happened if you have the cake unassembled and can repair it before you stack.

Of course, I am talking about a stacked cake. NEVER transport a cake sitting on pillars! It will slide right off.

Call ahead to the venue and see if they have a cart if the cake is heavy..if not, have someone help you or bring a folding cart if you decide to bring the cake assembled. a three tiered cake can get heavy and if you are nevous, then something might happen!

And bring an emergency kit!

I always transport my cakes on a flat surface in our mini station wagon, with egg crates. If you have like a mini van with holes from seats you took out, put a peice of plywood over them, then the egg crate. It really helps absorb pot holes and railroad tracks, etc.

I know a lot of people drive really slow, but we drive normal miles per hour...I dont care how many signs you have on your car, someone is going to get pissed you are driving slow and cut you off or tailgate you or make it even more hazardous.

Goodl uck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:41am
post #5 of 10

Use SPS and you should be fine! I also use anti-skid mat under the cake.

Lori2240 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you for all that info! I have never transported a 3 tier before... only a 2 tier. So Im not sure yet about assembling there or not. Quick question..... If I stick a large dowel down the whole cake do I stick it in the top (3rd) tier and try to cover it with decorations? Also, thanks for the tip about SPS... I will check into it... Ive never heard of it. Thank you!!!

Lori2240 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 10

Forgot to mention.... it is stacked... no pillars. I'd like to think I can transport it as is, but it is 45 miles aways, so Im kinda weary ya know....

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori2240

If I stick a large dowel down the whole cake do I stick it in the top (3rd) tier and try to cover it with decorations?

You can do that if you are planning on putting something on the top. If there's no topper you can put the center dowel through the two bottom tiers and leave a few inches sticking out the top. On your top tier, you poke a hole in the center of the board (before you put the cake on the board of course) and then lower the top tier onto the dowel. Another option is to stack the bottom two tiers and then transport the top tier in a box to just set on the cake at the site. Then you have less work to do on site and you don't have to worry about the dowel through the top tier. Just dowel the bottom two for transport.

Lori2240 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 10

That is exactly the answer I was looking for.... the idea of that definitely makes me MUCH more comfortable that stacking all 3. Thank you so much for that tip!!!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 10

I use the SPS system...Love it! but I also use dowels for my topsy turvy cakes and I do put a center dowel down the middle. I transport up to 4 tiers and I transport my cakes cold and in a large box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%