Wasc - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By LadyPol Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm by Loucinda

LadyPol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyPol Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 23

I just baked two 12x2" WASC ........... the first I just used a bake even strip and the 2nd I used the baking strip AND a flower nail ...........

Both cakes have sunk terribly in the middle. I don't think i overmixed ... 2 minutes on a lower speed in my KA ....

Baked at 325 for about 55 minutes ...

Please help? I really needed these cakes done today so I can decorate tomorrow ...

Thank you,

Sandra

22 replies
LadyPol Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:55am
post #2 of 23

*sigh* I know, it's Wed night and people are busy ... I am just at a loss as to why my cakes fell ... I am going to make the two 8x2" round cakes (strawberry lemonade) and pray that they fare better. Guess I'll be baking, filling and frosting the 12x2s tomorrow ... hopefully I'll get some good advice from you wonderful cake artists!

Blessings!

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:27am
post #3 of 23

Wow I have no answer for you. ?? I have made WASC several times with perfect success and from what you are doing it is excactly right. As I do the same method as you.

Hmm
Nanc

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:04am
post #4 of 23

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I'm not sure why the WASC sunk on you. The only thing I can think of is opening up the oven door or your oven isn't holding the proper temp as well and is fluctuating too much.
You said that you mixed with your KA on a low speed, what speed did you use?

LadyPol Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:17am
post #5 of 23

Speed 2 on my KA ... should i have used 4?

CherryLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryLane Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:17am
post #6 of 23

I don't think you baked them long enough. Mine take at least an hour for 12's.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:18am
post #7 of 23

Did you overfill the pans? That same thing has happened to me before and I think it was because I overfilled them and possibly had the oven temp too low.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:19am
post #8 of 23

My 10" cakes bake for 1 hour. Have you checked your oven temperature with a thermometer?

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:21am
post #9 of 23

Are you absolutely certain you got all the ingredients right? WASC has a lot of ingredients and I know sometimes if I'm chit chatting on the phone or have other things on the brain I sometimes space out on what I've put in or forgot to put in.

regbevjon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regbevjon Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:21am
post #10 of 23

I always add one extra egg (never just egg whites either), and I bake at a little higher heat. I reduce the sugar slightly. I live at high altitude, but it works for me that way. Before I adjusted to this, mine sank in the center too.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:22am
post #11 of 23

Honestly almost every time I make WASC cake, it falls. It doesn't really rise on me in the first place, but it usually sinks a little in the middle. I dont' know why, so I can't help you there, but at least you know that you aren't the only one.

It's still my favorite cake though!

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #12 of 23

I made WASC and every time it came out PERFECT .... EXCEPT the time I forgot the sour cream LOL ..... both cakes I made fell (made 2 cakes with 1 batch baked separate). The only reason I can think is if there was a forgotten ingredient maybe? that is the only time mine fell was when I forgot the main ingredient lol

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #13 of 23

Hmm, that stinks icon_sad.gif It's always worked for me *knock on wooden spoon* I use my KA on the stir speed (1, I guess it is), 3 whole eggs, one box of pudding and the rest of the goodies. It's the only recipe I use any more! I just change the box mix and the extracts. I hope your next attempt is perfect! What a bummer when our cakes misbehave icon_sad.gif Good luck! *crosses fingers*

Edit: Wow, my post had way to many frowny faces! So... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

LadyPol Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #14 of 23

Ok ... so tomorrow, when i can get more ingredients ... I should bake for at least 60 minutes .. maybe 65 or 70?

It is so hard to know the bake times ... when a novice and baking at 325 -

Thanks for your patience and advice

So, tomorrow is rebaking ... cooling .... filling ... AND frosting ... *sigh*

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #15 of 23

Did you overfill the pans? That same thing has happened to me before and I think it was because I overfilled them and possibly had the oven temp too low.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #16 of 23

I just baked 2, 12 inch WASC rounds today, but in 3 inch pans. They were 3/4 full (used the full recipe per pan, with 2 cake mixes) and took 1 hour 40 minutes to bake. When complete the cake was to the top of the pan.
I think you're underbaking them. The only time I've ever had them fall they were underbaked.

Jodie

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:42am
post #17 of 23

My cakes seem to bake better at 350 than they do at 325. It's possible that my oven is just a little cool (I suppose I should get an oven thermometer and check it, but 350 works, so I haven't done it). You might try it at 350 with the nail and bake even strips for a shorter time.

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:48am
post #18 of 23

I bake WASC at 350 and use a flower nail. It took forever on 325 and I got the same results in a faster time by baking at 350. The only time I've had them fall is if I've opened the oven door too soon. I did that once when baking a 10x3 and 6 x 3 at the same time. The 10 looked baked enough to remove the 6 but it wasn't! So, now I never open the oven until it's been in there at least an hour!

dttcb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dttcb Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #19 of 23

I agree, 350 is the way to go! I bake everything at 350!!!

Good Luck! I'm sorry you have a long a head of you tomorrow!

Bring on the coffee!!! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif

Debbie

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm
post #20 of 23

icon_eek.gif sorry ladysbut iam missing something,what is wasc,iam very curius, pleasse let me know what it is and the recipie icon_surprised.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #21 of 23

WASC is White Almond Sour Cream Cake. It is a very yummy white cake that is a doctored cake mix. The recipe is here on CC.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm
post #22 of 23

I agree with Jodie - I would bet you didn't bake them long enough, and then opening the oven door on top of that - icon_sad.gif (I know this from experience!) I always bake at 325, and the 12" round is gonna bake a lot longer than that in my oven.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #23 of 23

I agree with Jodie - I would bet you didn't bake them long enough, and then opening the oven door on top of that - icon_sad.gif (I know this from experience!) I always bake at 325, and the 12" round is gonna bake a lot longer than that in my oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%