Sugarshack Buttercream In A Bosch Universal Kitchen Machine?

Decorating By chefjulie Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 1:34am by sugarshack

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 11

I have the Bosch Universal Mixer and CANNOT get my BC as smooth as Ive seen in all the pics and youtube videos by SugarShack icon_cry.gif Is it my mixer (seriously just got rid of my KA so that I could buy this mixer... I bake a lot of bread and it's awesome!!) or am I doing something wrong? I used an off-brand of hi-ratio shortening (Cake Crafte Shoppe brand) , but I dont want to order a 50 lb block of sweetex or alpine and am having the HARDEST time finding it in Houston. Does anyone else use the Bosch? Im thinking of buying a Viking- never really liked my KA, but dont want to spend the money unless it's absolutely necessary. Also, my icing was pretty gritty- is that because of the shortening? It was expensive ($10 for 3 lbs) but Im not thinking I'll use it again. The other brands I have access to are Dawn and CK. Is any one of these better than the other? PLEASE HELP!! I need advice since my first BIG cake is this weekend and I need it to be AWESOME icon_biggrin.gif Oh, if you have any tried and true recipes for buttercream in the Bosch, I would love that as well

10 replies
1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 11

JUST CURIOUS, BUT WHAT DIDN'T YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR KA?I HAVE A BOSCH (8YRS OLD NOW) & I AM SERIOSLY THINKING OF BUYING A KA.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 11

WHAT SIZE BOWL IS THE BOSH?

ETa; oops sorry not yelling

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 11

I have a quisinart 800 and I have not had good luck with sugarshacks icing. It is not smooth and it is too sweet. I don't know why it isn't like her video because I did it just as she did. There must be a step or something missing? Some say it's the lack of trans fat in the shortening??

chefjulie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 11

I bake a lot of bread, and the KA just wasnt big enough or powerful enough (I had a 5qt, should have gone with the 6). The KA SUCKED for bread (the dough hook is a joke), but was great for cakes and cookies. The Bosch is good for both. I LOVE that the Bosch has a cover which helps keeps my countertops (relatively) clean. If I had the space, I would go ahead and buy the Viking and keep my Bosch, but I really dont want to do that. My problem with the Bosch is that it only has 3 speeds: fast, faster, and warp speed... not great for light mixing icon_sad.gif and that it isnt good for small batches of anything. It's awesome though, for big recipes!! I wont buy another KA because I keep hearing how the quality has gone downhill and the Viking's arent all *that* much more for the size I need

chefjulie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

It's a 6 qt bowl. I used a 6 qt recipe that you posted, and it FILLED it to the brim. My hubby is buying me all three of your DVD's for our anniversary icon_biggrin.gif I cant wait to get them!!!!!

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 11

JUST CURIOUS, BUT WHAT DIDN'T YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR KA?I HAVE A BOSCH (8YRS OLD NOW) & I AM SERIOSLY THINKING OF BUYING A KA.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 11

Seems to me that twenty bucks or so for name brand shortening (and sugar) to try with the Bosch would be cheaper than discovering that the shortening was the problem once you replaced the mixer.

chefjulie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 11

Oh, no! I wouldnt buy a $600 mixer just to make icing!! My mixer is the most used and abused appliance in my house, I have multiple reasons for wanting another one. I just started cake decorating, but have been catering for years and there have been many instances where I either need a second mixer or a DIFFERENT mixer for what Im doing. They would serve two completely different purposes.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 11

Ah. Gotcha.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:34am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulieatkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

It's a 6 qt bowl. I used a 6 qt recipe that you posted, and it FILLED it to the brim. My hubby is buying me all three of your DVD's for our anniversary icon_biggrin.gif I cant wait to get them!!!!!

Ok. maybe the shape of your bowl is diff than the KA? I find the shape of the 6 KA is squattier than the 5, and that affects the physics of my technique.

evn though it is a 6 quart, and it was FULL to the top, was it full side to side, ALL the way around. No air pockets at all, no sucking noises, no littl epockets of air visible as the icing moved around? Did you work that icing down into the belly of the bowl with your spoon quickly in the process, as I do on the Youtube thing? That is critical. You have to get the icing down off the sides, into the belly of the bowl; so that the mixer if full to over the paddle AND side to side all the way around, all at the same time.

Did that make sense?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%