Decorating By cakes21 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 2:29am by antonia74

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #1 of 2

The wedding cake that I am doing in a couple of weeks is in need of a letter. The bride wants a letter that goes along the side of the cake. What would be best way to make the letter?

1 reply
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:29am
post #2 of 2

You can print out the monogram letter (specific font/size) from your computer and then just cut out the shape in gumpaste or fondant, for example. You can also use lustre dust, dragees, royal icing, sparkling sugars to give it a bit of extra detail.

You can also just cut out an oval, round or square shape in gumpaste or fondant and then pipe your letter onto that instead. (See detail of cake I did below, copy of Colette Peter's design.)

If the cake is square, it's easy to just dry the letter on a flat surface for many days beforehand.

If it's a round cake, it's a little more work. If the cake tier the letter will go on is (for example) an 8" round cake, then use a larger 9" round cake pan, cut out the letter, turn the round cake pan on it's side and put it inside to dry on that curved surface. (You're using a slightly larger cake pan because when your 8" cake is iced, it will be bigger...closer to 9" in size perhaps? This isn't 100% crucial, try a few letters on both an 8" and 9" pan and you can pick what is best when you start to put the cake together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%