Because Of The Photo Stealing...questions About 'watermarks'

Decorating By Daisys_Cakes Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm by Daisys_Cakes

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I know my cakes probably are not good enough to get stolen, but just for peace of mind I am interested in "watermarking" my photos and I have some questions.

Can I use my username in a special font as my "watermark"? For instance I was going to use "Daisy's Cakes" since I don't actually have a business. (I will post a couple of examples below.)

Can I put a "watermark" on a cake that was inspired by another cake or do I need to ask permission? Most of the inspired cakes I have done I have changed a part of it so they are not identical but there is one cake in particular that I copied the design almost exactly.

By the way the reason I put watermark in quotes is I am not sure if that is the proper term, so let me know if it is not.

Thanks!

Edited to add that I used Paint to add the "watermarks"
LL
LL

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 6

I don't think it matters what you put across the pictuers as long as it is not generic. You want something that if someone put on their website people would see it isn't from them. If the website is Susy's Cakes, and they have a picture on it that has Daisy's Cakes across it, then it is obvious they didn't make that cake.

As far as your second question, you made the cake, you took the picture it is yours. It doesn't matter if you copied it from Ace of Cakes, you are not trying to protect the design from being copied or claiming it as your own. You are protecting YOUR picture of a cake you made.

Ldydesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ldydesignr Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 6

If those are examples of your work, don't see why you think no one would want to steal and claim them!! The cupcakes are adorable.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 6

I love your cakes & I think you need to open a business called "Daisy's Cakes" - how cute! Your cakes pictured above go very well with the name. Your cakes are so pretty and sweet! You took very good pictures too! And..... a LOT of my cakes come from inspiration from internet cakes & cakes here on CC..... AND a lot come from the customer who normally designs them, or shows me a picture of what they like. However, I made it, so it's my version/my cake... it would be a LOT different if I took their exact picture/work I didn't do! I think you have a great plan.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 6

Good Job Daisy!!

I started watermarking a couple of my cakes yesterday after reading the threads on here from last week....
If you go back and watermark a photo that is already in your gallery here, i.e.: replacing a photo, the description information you originally added with the picture will be lost. Just thought I'd pass that along so it won't happen to others.

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for compliments everyone, you guys are so sweet! I kinda of thought those would be answers but I just wanted to make sure I was not going to break some unspoken law of cake etiquette!

OCakes I would love to start a business someday but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon since I am a minor.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%