Leaning Wedding Cakes

Decorating By detola2 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm by Shelly4481

detola2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
detola2 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:24am
post #1 of 11

Hello Guys

My name is andrea. I made this wedding cake ( pic attached) over the weekend. It was a very straight forward cake to make but for some reason it leaned over at the back the front was ok. Could some please tell me why the cake leaned over i have attached pics of it from the side and from the front
LL
LL

10 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:57am
post #2 of 11

Are your cakes supported with cake drums/hardboards and dowelled in the 3 bottom tiers?

detola2 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, i used cake drums and dowels in all the tiers

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 11

Did you check to see if the table was level? Oh, by the way your cake is beautiful.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 11

What kind of dowels and how many did you use? The only reason it would tilt, is if the dowels weren't the same length/height or not enough dowels used. Just have to make sure you support every tier properly - that's a big cake, and with the fondant, very heavy. Personally I would use SFS or SPS system for this type of structure. It's not that bad, and from the front is very pretty!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 11

First welcome and your cake is lovely icon_smile.gif
As to why it's leaning I think there's not enough support or the dowels are not the same length just like the others have said.
Don't let this get you down keep up the great work icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 11

If you look in my pix, the Towering Inferno cake, I had the same kind of problem. Of course the picture posted here is the back of the cake (the front was in the shadows) but the top looks wonky because we had to recut some of the dowels at the site (even after we had measured them and precut them). On your cake I'm guessing that one of the dowels was cut just a tad shorter than others on the bottom tier and hence the sinking and leaning over time. But overall it's a beautiful cake! icon_smile.gif

detola2 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 11

hello thanks for all your replies really cheered me up. could you please advise me on what the sps and spf system is.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 11

You might want to look up the member LeahS. She is familiar with at least the sps system and provides instructions on it. I'm not sure what spf is.

Marcelita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcelita Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 11

You can send a PM to LeahS with your email on it and she will email you the tutorial. She is great! HTH
Marcela thumbs_up.gif

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #11 of 11

The stress free support is rings attached to legs that can be adjusted to different height. I have it and love it. I use a level to make sure the supports are level before putting in cake. Never have to worry about a cake falling with this. I do charge a fee to customers for the use of them and always get them back. I live in a small town and don't have to worry about not getting them back. It is a little expensive but it has paid off for me. I know lots of people use the sps, not as expensive. But don't have to ease of adjusting the legs to the perfect height. People love them. Check them both out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%