Cricket Scrapbook Machine

Decorating By Bakingangel Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm by bobwonderbuns

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 11

Anybody use the "Cricket" scrapbook machine for decoration ideas such as stencils or patterns for fondant/gumpaste? Wondering if it would be worth the investment or not.

10 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #2 of 11

I've heard that if you roll gumpaste superthin and let it dry slightly that you can cut it on a cricut... haven't done this myself, but I am tempted to try!

Bakingangel Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:57am
post #3 of 11

I would be afraid to run fondant through one. I meant to create and cutout stencils on paper to use as patterns or cake toppers.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:14am
post #4 of 11

I think that if all you would use it for are stencils then it isn't going to be worth the investment. I tried to make stencils for airbrushed tattoos and was VERY limited with the designs. The Cricut is made for you to use what is cut out...not the "leftovers" (what we would use as the stencils). All the detail is in the piece that is cut out. Hard to explain. I found out the hard way!!! And since most of the cartridges are $50, to me it really wouldn't be worth it. DM bought ours and I have pretty much taken it over for making invitations so for me it does come in handy on occasion. Just for stencils though...not worth the investment. JMT

HTH
Teresa

Bakingangel Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #5 of 11

Thanks, Teresa, that's what I wanted to know.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #6 of 11

No problem. Glad to help.

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #7 of 11

Bakingangel thats why I bought the cricut but its like teresa said all the details are in the cut pieces and not whats left but it is really good for invitations and cards, scrapbook projects not much help for cake decorating.

capitts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
capitts Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #8 of 11

I received an email saying all cricut dies are 50% off right now at Michaels.

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 11

I have a cricut because I stamp and scrapbook, but I have not used it to make stencils yet. I have made flowers to use on a cake though, I love my cricut.
LL

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edee

I have a cricut because I stamp and scrapbook, but I have not used it to make stencils yet. I have made flowers to use on a cake though, I love my cricut.

Thanks for posting this pic! Your cake is really cute! My mom got me a cricut and I think like 4 diff cartridges and I played with it the first week and haven't touched it since. I liked it alot, I just don't really know what to use it for. I used t scrapbook ALOT but now all my time is taken up by cakin!! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #11 of 11

Edee, how did you use the cricut to cut the gumpaste? How thin did you roll it, etc.?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%