Seven Minute Icing V. Royal Icing

Decorating By smc_paralegal Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 1:54am by katwomen1up

smc_paralegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smc_paralegal Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 6

I am very new to cake decorating and am currently enrolled in Wilton Course 2. My problem is that I have not been able to get my royal icing right and wondered if I could use 7 minute icing instead of the royal to make my flowers, etc?

If anyone has a detailed step by step instructional method with pictures on how to make royal icing, I would greatly appreciate it.

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 6

7 minute icing and Royal icing are night and day different. You can make flowers from either one, but the results will be wildly different.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 6

Definitely not 7-minute. 7-minute frosting is a light, fluffy frosting that will separate in a couple of days. Royal frosting can last forever.

Royal is an absolute pain. I hate it too. My suggestion is...

1. Make sure your water is lukewarm.
2. You must beat for the entire 7-10 minutes. No exceptions.
3. Use 1 T. less water for stiff. Keep it stiff when colored and take to class stiff. You can reduce the consistency in class with your instructor's help.
4. Make sure everything you use is grease-free. Spatulas, bowls, beaters, tips. This is vital. Use super hot water and Dawn to clean everything. Toss your tips in a glass of water and nuke (make sure tips are covered by water) for 1 minute. Use only glass containers for storage. I bought these cute little Pyrex bowl sets at Target. Perfect little things.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/royal.cfm

This gives hand mixer versus stand mixer instructions.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 6

Aw now, you can make flowers out of 7 minute icing. They won't last, but they'd be fine on a cake iced in the same icing.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:55am
post #5 of 6

Try Antonia74's recipe, I absolutely love it & we have terrible humidity here & I had a time w/ Wilton's recipe.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:54am
post #6 of 6

Plastic breaks it down, make sure everything is metal. Use foil to cover. When you start let your water and meringue powder sit for a couple minutes before you mix it.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%