Two Toned Grass?

Decorating By Lynnscakes_sc Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 3:09pm by Lynnscakes_sc

Lynnscakes_sc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnscakes_sc Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 5

I have a friend who wants a baseball cake for her son's birthday. She loves the two toned grass, how do I do that with buttercream (I don not have a sprayer).

4 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 5

. . . not sure what you mean by two toned grass . . . do you have a picture . . . if you are using the grass/fur tip to pipe your grass, you could probably achieve two tones by lining your bag with some darker green stripes than the icing you are using then the grass will be the color of the icing and the color of the dark stripes in places . . . maybe this doesn't make sense . . . let me see if I can find an example . . . . . . so this is the "idea" . . . see the pink stripe . . . just do a darker green with your lighter green . . . and maybe even more than one stripe . . . maybe more than one shade of green . . . (perhaps this will give you the effect you are looking for) . . . HTH icon_confused.gif

lillicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 5

I had to do a gigantic hill covered with "grass" to showcase a bride & groom's horse statuette/keepsakes. I used regular paste icing colors to do the grass, then took a can of the Wilton spray color in green to kind of mottle and streak the grass on the hillside in areas. I am attaching a photo and hope you can kind of get the idea from that.

If you are just trying to make each "bunch" of grass you put on have shading, the best way would be to either 1) stripe the icing bag (I use parchment) or 2) load the bag with two shades of green, one on each side of the bag. The second method gives more subtle variations (usually) and is really nice for putting gradients in flower petals and so on.

Hope that helps!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:31am
post #4 of 5

Are you referring to the way a baseball field's grass looks like it has stripes in it? Or criss crosses? If that is what you're looking for you can do one strip in lighter green and the next strip in darker green. You just need a bag of each and alternate between the two colors.

Lynnscakes_sc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnscakes_sc Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 5

Sorry, yes I am referring to a baseball field with the strips of grass (one being light and the other being a little darker). Thanks alanahodgson for pionting that out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%