Need Help From Established Long Islanders (Suffolk County)

Business By cuteums Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 1:09am by cuteums

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #1 of 6

Okay, so I have been having tons of trouble navigating through the burecratic mumbo jumbo here to become legal. I found kitchen space for rent. The next thing I need to know is can I be my own business (sole proprietor - dba) while renting someone else's kitchen? I want to use their health inspection to not cause them any trouble, but have my own business name. Has anyone done this? Is this allowed? or do I have to have a lease agreement and have them inspect again with my business? I cannot get a straight answer out of the health dept. so I was hoping to find someone who has done this.

Thank you so much for your help. Everyone here on CC has been awesome so far in giving me advice.

5 replies
Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:41am
post #2 of 6

I do not have any experience with this, but I would call the small business association. They should be able to help with this. I have an appointment with them on thursday, I plan on asking that question.

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 6

You can certainly rent someone's kitchen but you will need to purchase your own product liability insurance as you cannot use the insurance from the kitchen. The insurance will be under your name and you also put the name of the kitchen you are renting since that is the physical location you will be working. You can either contact your own company that you have your car insurance or homeowners insurance to see if they carry product liability insurance or do a local search in your area.

I got this information back when I was looking to rent kitchen space. The company I rented the kitchen from helped me with all this because the health and building dept didn't know a thing!

Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you. I am planning on contacting the small business association here for help. I wanted to get insurance but without the business name it seemed silly. I still don't know if I need a separate health inspection to even get a business name. Thanks for the advice.

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 6

Hi Again! You won't need to get a health inspection in order to get a business name. To register your business you would have to do that at your county clerk's office and pay a small fee to register. Once you are registered then you can go ahead and contact an insurance company to take care of your product liability insurance. That is when you put down your business and use the physical address of the kitchen you are renting out. And that is as much as I know icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #6 of 6

Dear Nicolle,

Thank you so much. I guess I will go down to the county clerk's office this week and sort it all out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%