Molded Cake

Decorating By juslivin77 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 1:44am by juslivin77

juslivin77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juslivin77 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 4

I am using a train pan for my sons second birthday. Basically each train car is a seperate cupcake size cake. I am trying to figure out the best way to doctor a cake box mix for the mold to come out really well. I practiced a couple times by adding an extra egg and milk but the details did not come out that well. Anyone have any suggestions? THe pan is from william sonoma (doesnt know if that helps)

3 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 4

There is a recipe in the recipe section that has something about doctored cake mix for 3 D cakes..it basically is a little more oil and pudding. I think it is called Durable Cake for 3 D cakes...or you can use a packaged pound cake.

You will have to post how they turn out, I have seen that pan (and the cars one) and have always been curious about it!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 4

Here it is!

Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes

Serves/Yields: 2-9in rounds or 1-9X13 or 1 moulded cake
Prep. Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30-35 min
Category: Cake Mix Cakes, Pound Cakes, Yellow Cakes, Birthday Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

This cake is moist yet very durable and will hold up to many shapes and designs. It is light in taste and stays moist if making a day or two ahead.

1 Duncan Hines Yellow (or White) cake mix
4 egg whites
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 small pkg of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350

Incorporate all ingredients together one by one on low speed.

Make sure to mix thoroughly between each ingredient.

Once all ingredients are mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for approximately 2 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes

juslivin77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juslivin77 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #4 of 4

thank you. i did find that I was just wondering if anyone actually TRIED it. But it cant hurt to try. Thanks for the response. I will make sure and post it when it is done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%