Cake Ball/truffle Pricing

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm by Elserj

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 47

Hi all,

I did a search for other threads to find my answers, but it seems that all the applicable threads were lost in the crash.

Sooooo...to those of you who sells cake balls or cake truffles, what do you charge, and do you have a minimum order requirement?

What about an order for a Cake Truffle Wedding Tower? Is that completely different pricing? Do you assemble the entire tower on site?

Thanks much for your answers!

46 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 47

I have read anywhere from $6 dozen up to $15 per dozen. I guess it also depends on how big you are making them too.

I am doing $10 per dozen with a minimum of 3 dozen per order (because I don't typically have any leftovers from my cakes and have to bake from scratch for cake truffle orders).

I can't help you on a cake truffle order, but I am doing an order for 200 boxes of truffles of two each for a wedding reception this fall (same price, but added cost for the boxes and ribbon).

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 47

Michelle, how big do you make the cake balls?

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 47

I charge $10 a dozen. 2 dozen minimum.

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 47

I meant to say can't help you with a cake truffle tower order. Oops!

Hmm, I use a tablespoon to scoop the mixture. I dip them twice in chocolate. I think they are like two bites, maybe three if you are being polite. icon_smile.gif

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 47

I have sold mine for $6.00/dozen. I think a 3 dozen minimum is reasonable. I use a Pampered Chef scoop(the smallest one) it is about 2 bites.

Sue
LL

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 47

Rainbow, very nice! Mine aren't that smooth and pretty looking. I bought a mold for chocolate cups and I'm going to try that out one of these days. I'd rather wait for a mold to harden (obviously would buy more if it works okay) than to dip and get all messy.

Rainbow Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 47

I use a plastic fork with the middle tines broken out. I also have a chocolate melting pot. It is the best $25 I spent! I got it at Hobby Lobby on sale about a year ago. It has both a melt setting and a warm setting. Dipping is a lot less messy using this. Thanks for the complimenticon_smile.gif

Sue

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 47

Rainbow Those are very pretty ! You didnt use a mold at all, you only dipped ?

Jenn2179 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 47

I tried the molds. Too much work. I got a metal dipping tool. The best thing ever!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 47

I am SOOOO glad this subject was brought up-cause I was wondering the same thing! icon_smile.gif

So...anybody out there have the answer about the truffle tower pricing?

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 47

I think that using a mold is less work. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 47

What would you charge to set up a cake or cupcake tower? I would think it would be similar, take just as long, etc.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 47

rainbow..... your cake truffles are amazing... great job.... beautiful... when i make them.... i will use your method....

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 47

Where do you get a metal dipping tool?

Jenn2179 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama602

Where do you get a metal dipping tool?

I got mine from CK Products.

Swede-cakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 47

Wow! I come back from playing a little Guitar Hero and see that we've got somethin' going here! thumbs_up.gif

Thank you so much for your pricing responses. The range is about what I had figured. If I can buy one chocolate truffle at Godiva's for $2, then I think $1 each for scrumptious cake truffles should be no problem! Lol! Because, it's two treats in one...Chocolate Candy AND Cake!

Also, thanks for bringing that up issue up too, ladies, about the dipping tool! Ok, no joke here, I have a big Tupperware container with some of my tools from my chocolate candy making business from the old days...when I was 10 (no, I wasn't legal then)! And I do indeed have a dipping fork. That's going to make things alot faster (and neater) around here. I can't believe I'd forgotten about it.

Still, anyone have some tips on a cake truffle tower? Do you simply stack them like Croquembouche? Or is it better to use a plated tower stand?

Swede-cakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm
post #18 of 47

Rainbow, those look sooooo delicious! You did such a great job on those truffles! Thanks for sharing the pic...

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #19 of 47

I sell mine for $10.50 a dozen. I'll be done selling items soon since I will no longer be using the kitchen I'm currently licensed through, otherwise I would raise the price of these.

Rainbow Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #20 of 47

When I make my cake balls I use the Pampered Chef scoop, then roll each one by hand...let it set out long enough to get a bit dry on the outside and then dip in the chocolate. I tried freezing them,but they always crack for me? icon_confused.gif I really think the chocolate melter has made it easier and keeps the chocolate at just the right temp for dipping. Good topic and good info everyone icon_biggrin.gif

Sue

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #21 of 47

I did my first batch and they came out so cute and I got alot of compliments, and I used a mold cust dipping them was just toooo messy for me!

I tried to post them, can I post in a tread or do I have to have it in the gallery???

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:23am
post #22 of 47

my verison
LL

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #23 of 47

Rainbow, your cake truffles are very elegant. I am planning to do some as part of a 50th wedding anniversary celebration early next year. I hadn't thought of using a chocolate melting pot. I haven't made cake truffles before, so I will be making at least one practice batch before then. Is your chocolate pot the Wilton Chocolate Pro Electric Chocolate Melter? I have several Michael's coupons burning a whole in my pocket this week. I might just use one for that. Any other tips you can share for a cake truffle beginner will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:58am
post #24 of 47

Okay, perhaps I'm being dense, but how does one remove the cake ball from the dipping fork without messing up the smooth chocolate exterior? I've never been able to figure out a good way to remove them and get them looking as beautiful as Rainbow's. Anyone got any suggestions?

Rainbow Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:17am
post #25 of 47

My melting pot is the brand name Choco Maker I purchased it at Hobby Lobby a couple of years ago. It has both a melt and a warm setting. I use the plastic fork with the tines broken off in the middle. I set the truffle on top of the remaining 2 tines and dunk it in the chocolate, gently tap it on the side of the melting pot and set it on the waxed paper gently slliding the fork from underneath the truffle... I have used Wilton candy discs and Merkens. I prefer the Merkens. They melt better. The Wilton ones are kind of thick and when I use them I add a touch of crisco so it isn't too thick. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Sue

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Quote:

Okay, perhaps I'm being dense, but how does one remove the cake ball from the dipping fork without messing up the smooth chocolate exterior? I've never been able to figure out a good way to remove them and get them looking as beautiful as Rainbow's. Anyone got any suggestions?

You don't actually impale the item to be dipped on the tines of the fork, but rather you drop item in and use the fork to retrieve the dipped item. The way I do it is with a push and twist motion. I drop the item onto the melted chocolate, place the tines of the fork on top, push it under the chocolate and twist to bring it up balanced on the fork. Then tap the fork to remove excess chocolate. This is how I was taught in school, and works for me, but I am sure some have other methods. This is using a 2 or 3 tine dipping fork, There is also a spiral bon bon dipper, but I generally don't use that, except for nuts and other small items.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:30pm
post #27 of 47

All this talk about cake truffles is making me hungry. Would any of you like to post your favorite recipe. I want to try these and would love to know how to make them.

MichelleM77 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #28 of 47

I bake a cake, let it cool, cut it up and throw it in the food processor (or use a fork to crumb it), add a binder of some sort (seedless jam, an extract) until I get the right flavor and consistency, put on food gloves and measure out with a tablespoon, ball up and place on cookie sheet (covered with parchment), dip in melted chocolate. icon_smile.gif

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:50pm
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I bake a cake, let it cool, cut it up and throw it in the food processor (or use a fork to crumb it), add a binder of some sort (seedless jam, an extract) until I get the right flavor and consistency, put on food gloves and measure out with a tablespoon, ball up and place on cookie sheet (covered with parchment), dip in melted chocolate. icon_smile.gif

Michelle, I didn't even think about using my food processor. That's an excellent idea. I have a Kitchenaid model and it sits idle most of the time, unless I'm making pastry dough. Did I understand correctly that you also use the processor to mix in the binder? I'm assuming that would work just as well with jam or frosting.

MichelleM77 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #30 of 47

Yep, that's exactly what I do. I use it to first crumb the cake and then add a few tablespoons at a time until it starts to come together. When I add jam it gets kinda wet, still working on the right consistency, but it works well for everything else just fine. I haven't used my KA food processor for anything other than making cake truffles. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%