Smbc And Heat And Royal

Decorating By nisha_ru Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm by aswartzw

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #1 of 13

For my sisters wedding the end of Aug, she really wants SMBC on her cakes. Am I going to have a problem with it the end of Aug? I don't know how hot it might be, it usually cools off a bit that week, and we don't have a lot of humidity.

Also, I want to make royal decorations ahead of time for the cake - will I have any problems with it and SMBC?

12 replies
nisha_ru Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 13

Anyone? I could really use some help on this!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 13

Here's a bump, Good luck.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 13

I have no idea...bump...love to hear answers. Consiering using it too. I know I can't do royal on reg. bc.....................

nisha_ru Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:50am
post #5 of 13

Seriously, is there NO ONE on this board who can help me out?! icon_sad.gif

woodthi32 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:43am
post #6 of 13

I have heard it holds up in the heat better than you would think. I would not hesitate to use it if the venue and my kitchen were a/c. I haven't used it, like I said, but I wouldn't hesitate if there was a/c. ..............I am sorry I can't offer better. I just noticed no one was answering!
Have you searched all the forums. I am sure this must have been touched on somewhere..........

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 13

I read in a recent issue of ACD that if you replace some of the butter with shortening it helps hold up better in heat and humidity (obviously this will change the taste somehwhat - also, I've never tried it). Can you run a test on a small cake to see if you are OK with the results - especially after adding the RI accents?

woodthi32 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 13

yes, I think I heard the person who had success in hi heat used hi ratio shortening, butter, half and half...I think it might have been Leah S!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 13

Leahs uses all high-ratio in her SMBC. No butter at all. This raises the melting point to the high 90s instead of in the 80s.

Is she having an indoor or outdoor? If it's indoor, you will definitely be fine. Just keep the cake beside the A/C and away from windows. Also substitute a stick of butter with 1/2 cup shortening (high-ratio or Smart balance works).

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 13

I would love to try the half shortening too but I'm worried about the taste. I'll have to try a small batch first.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #11 of 13

I think you will have to experiment with the shortening/ butter combo, I think it will stand up quite well providing it is not outdoors. RI does not like humidity or dampness, it melts. If your climate is dry, it will keep very well for a long time, I avoid working with it here in Hawaii, but my SMBC has done fine, our temp doesn't go beyond 85-90 & if the trade winds are blowing they keep the humidty levels low.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 13

If it's outside, no. Inside, make sure it's away from windows, skylights (read that disaster in a post) & the air is running---no doors left open to bring in chairs, tables, flowers, etc.

I have read about 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening but not tried it. It's definitely on my to try list.

Not sure about the RI. I'm leaning on no though. W/ shortening buttercream they crust so there's not a problem. W/ IMBC or SMBC they don't crust & I would be afraid the fat would break down the RI.

You could always do a trial run to see how it goes.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 13

Maybe PM jkalman. She has a ton of experience with SMBC and might be able to answer your questions about RI.

What are you doing with your RI? Stringwork, flowers, etc. If flowers, I'd think you'd be fine. Stringwork, not sure if the butter will break it down or not. Once piped and dried, the heat won't affect your RI.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%