Thickness Of Fbct?

Decorating By crouton800 Updated 15 Aug 2005 , 3:38am by Ironbaker

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 9:16am
post #1 of 8

Need advice! How thick should a FBCT be? I know this will sound very specific...but is it like 5mm or less or what? Because i just completed my first "proper" one and it "sticks" out of the surface a lot. Prior to this I had tried a FBCT with a soft icing, needless to say it was a mess icon_lol.gif .

I read people pipe around the picture to cover the space in between the transfer and frosting...but as you can see, i did a messy job of it. Should I be pushing the FBCT down into the frosting more?? Btw, this is a practice run, I've actually covered an upside down cake tin with frosting icon_wink.gif

I've read that SheliaF does the background also as the FBCT but if one dosen't do this, what's the trick to get it nicely laid on the frosting?

Thank you!
LL

7 replies
llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 8

I'm probably in the minority here, but when I do bct's, I do not ice the whole thing in white afterwards. For instance, I would just do the black lining and then fill in the color and then just freeze that part. Sometimes it can get a bit tricky--but I haven't broken one yet.

For details like the whiskers on Masy, I would just pipe those on after I transferred onto the cake.

Also--I'm wondering if your transfer didn't "settle" well because it wasn't on an actual cake--but just a pan. How thick was the icing on the pan? Just a thought.

HTH!!

Lisa

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 8

I do the whole top of the cake, just like the upside down icing, if the cake is to large for that, i will do an area that has a boarder on it, like a retangle, then fill in the area around the picture with something, many times its cookie crumbs.

llj68 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I do the whole top of the cake, just like the upside down icing,

What a great idea!! It would almost look like the image was "tatooed" into the icing! I'm going to have to try this!

Lisa

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 8

Excuse my slowness this morning....I don't quite get what is meant by "just like the pside down icing"?

llj68 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Excuse my slowness this morning....I don't quite get what is meant by "just like the pside down icing"?

It's a technique that I learned about here. HEre is the link--it's in the "articles" section.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

HTH!!

Lisa

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 3:42am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I do the whole top of the cake, just like the upside down icing, if the cake is to large for that, i will do an area that has a boarder on it, like a retangle, then fill in the area around the picture with something, many times its cookie crumbs.

Wow! Great idea...although it sounds tricky for a newbie like me! I'll give it a try. By the way, do you have a picture of one done using this method? Before I try it, is there any concern that the FBCT will be squashed out of shape from the weight of the cake??
Thanks!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 3:38am
post #8 of 8

Thanks you llj68! I'll have to try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%