Question About Putting Dry Pudding In Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm by VS8894

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 7

I have read posts that say you can add dry pudding to cake mix to make firmer. I was wondering if you can add dry pudding flavors to the Wilton Buttercream icing recipe? I use the water and I was wondering if you can add to the icing do you have to refrigerate the cake after icing? Thank you for any posts.

6 replies
briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 7

I don't use the Wilton BC recipe, but I have added white chocolate pudding to my bc before... I tried it 2 different ways

1 - I added the dry pudding in with my powdered sugar, and made it like normal (only I use flaovred coffee creamer in my bc)
2 - I mixed my liquid with the pudding powder then added

#1 tasted kind of gritty, but was good
#2 tasted better, but the little amount of liquid I used made a very thick paste with the pudding, so I ended up using a lot of extra liquid than I was used to - but still ended up tasting very good

I don't know that I can suggest one over the other, because they were both good... HTH!!

VS8894 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the information. I also wanted to try the creamer. Do you know if you have to refrigerate either one when you add the pudding or the creamer?

Thanks again

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 7

If I were to try using dry pudding for buttercream I would add the pudding while I was creaming the butter and shortening together (I use Wilton's recipe with shortening and butter). Hmmm, you've given me a good idea!
If you try this way, please post your results as I have never done so.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 7

I wouldn't refrigerate after using pudding or creamer...there's not a lot of it in the icing and the powdered sugar has stabilizing effects.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 7

Just like Jennifer said, I don't refridgerate when using creamer in my bc... it's always been fine icon_smile.gif

VS8894 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 7

I am going to try this. I think I'm going to try the lemon pudding in the icing with a lemon cake. I also read where someone added pistachio to a white cake mix and I thought I might try adding the same pudding to the icing. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%