Rolled Buttercream With Royal Icing Detail Question

Baking By tljkids Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm by SweetcakesCT

tljkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tljkids Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 18

If I use rolled buttercream as my background, how long do I have to wait to decorate with royal icing for the details? With RBC having shortening, will that affect my RI detail? RI still gets hard?

17 replies
tljkids Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #2 of 18

anybody??

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #3 of 18

Indydebi's around here somewhere. Maybe you could PM her?

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:41am
post #4 of 18

I've only used RBC on cookies with RI, but I usually let the RBC to sit overnight to "de-grease" a little bit and then I put the RI on the next day and I haven't had any problems with the RI breaking down. Usually, I put the RI on the day before they're being delivered, so I don't know about the long term effects. The RI hardens and I've packaged and stacked cookies with no problems.

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 18

what is the difference with rolled buttercream and regular? Never used it beforeicon_smile.gif Is it similar to fondant?

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 18

Rolled buttercream is like fondant-only it has more of a taste like buttercream frosting. It is not as firm as fondant and can take some getting used to using.
I always let the rolled buttercream sit overnight to "de-grease" as well.

disneynutbsv Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 18

Could anyone post pictures of a rolled buttercream cookie?
I'd appreciate iticon_smile.gif

dreamn900 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutbsv

Could anyone post pictures of a rolled buttercream cookie?
I'd appreciate iticon_smile.gif

Both of these are cookies with RBC and RI details.

ETA: Sorry, IDK why the first picture is so small.

disneynutbsv Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 18

Wow, those look great! What recipe do you recommend?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 18

All of my cookies are RBC w/ RI detail. I have let them sit overnight & I've let them sit 30 min -1 hr & both have turned out fine. If you're concerned just take a papertowel & gently rub the surface if you don't have time to let it sit.

Both of the cookies were decorated w/in an hour of applying the RBC

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1224221

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1224220

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 18

Here's the recipe.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-0-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

Cookies here were decorated after cooling (I put the RBC on right after they come out of the oven).
LL

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 18

When I made them at Christmas, I baked the cookies, tossed on the RB (straight from the fridge), and decorated them once everything was out and cooled off and I had the RI mixed up. So maybe 30 minutes of them sitting out?

disneynutbsv Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 18

Wow, those are nice!! I really like those. Can you stack cookies with rolled buttercream and then royal icing? Do the cookies stay soft, not the cookies, but when you bite into them is the icing soft (but hard on the outside)..?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 18

I have stacked them wrapped side by side (not on top of each other), but you probably could. The cookie is very good with the RBC, very chewy (yet has a firm outside).

dreamn900 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:34pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutbsv

Wow, those are nice!! I really like those. Can you stack cookies with rolled buttercream and then royal icing? Do the cookies stay soft, not the cookies, but when you bite into them is the icing soft (but hard on the outside)..?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

I stack on top in a box with no problems.

tljkids Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #16 of 18

I didn't have time to wait so this is what I did. First, I rolled out the RBC and put the cut-outs (trying to remove as much excess as I could)between wax paper and put them in the freezer. Next, I made the NFSC rolling them out between parchment, then put the whole shibang in the freezer, too. Then I made Antonia74 royal icing for details. Took a few minutes to clean up, then started baking the cookies. Right after I took them out of the oven, I placed the RBC on top. This worked like a charm. I had a batch of NFSC made, cut, baked, & base coated in a snap. They were a little greasy when I was ready for the royal icing, so I did wipe them off with a paper towel. I had to use a light touch because the "weave" of the paper towel would sometimes imprint on the cookie. Within a few minutes, the cookies had hardened enough for me to do the royal detail. I did let them sit out overnight so I could bag the next day. Problem free!! I'll post a picture later.

disneynutbsv Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm
post #17 of 18

Alright, I'll have to make a batch to try!

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm
post #18 of 18

Awesome, I was looking for the exact information in this thread. Can't wait to try the RBC on my cookies. Thanks to all for the tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%