Ideas On How To Do Embossed Fondant Like In Pic...??

Decorating By Spills Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm by sweettoothmom

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 24

Hello creative minds!

I have a wedding cake to do in a couple weeks, and my client gave me this picture from Martha Stewart Weddings magazine and would like a similar cake with different colors.

My question is how do you suppose I go about doing the embossed fondant? I remember reading the caption near the cake when in the magazine that the artist used a mold from a plastic factory or something?? I don't think it has to be EXACTLY like the picture, but I'd like to do something as close as I can. icon_wink.gif

The only thing I can really come up with so far is just having individually rolled pieces of fondant around the cake to get the same effect.

If you have any ideas, please pass them along! I know there are some great CC'ers out there!! icon_biggrin.gif

D
LL

23 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 24

The only thing that I can think of is to get an impression mat that will give you that look. I know several cake sites that sell impression mats, but none with that particular design come to mind. I remember awhile ago someone talking in a post about an online company that will make impression mats to order. I have no idea who said it, and she said that cost a pretty penny, but if you can somehow find that particular site, or one like it, you might be able to get what you are looking for.

Try searching for a custom impression mat store.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 24

I'm not sure where I saw it, but there is actually a roller that embosses that pattern onto the fondant. If I can find it I will post a link.

isista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isista Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 24
BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 24

The Clapboard pattern will give that effect. I recently bought a set from Sugar Craft. Their prices were reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Spills Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 24

Thank you all for your incite. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to purhcase one of those impression mats and receive it in time to do the cake since I live in Canada...

I work in a machine shop, and my guys have been giving me all sorts of ideas...lol...of course a lot of them I wouldn't even touch but they're still good ones. (something about metal on fondant...and not stainless steel...lol) icon_lol.gif

I'm going to search every store I go into this and next weekend to look for something I can utilize somehow.

thumbs_up.gif

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 24

Have a look at www.creativecutters.com and www.goldaskitchen.com - you are looking for a line impression mat. Both are in Canada and would be to you within a week.

HTH!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 24

I am no decorator by any means as you will see from my reply, but what about a corrogated piece of cardboard to push on the fondant?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 24

Do you have access to clay tools? They have small impression mats that will work. If you have a Micheals or Hobby Lobby you should be able to find them there.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 24

www.earlenescakes.com has a lined impression mat that may work for you. Click on the Shopping Cart button to find all the things she has to sell.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 24

Do you have a cake supply near you? I just bought a set of 5 of those impression mats in my cake store earlier this week, and it was only $9 for all of them and it included the clapboard one(along with the brick, basketweave, cobblestone, and wood). They're made by CK Products.

Spills Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 24

Thank you. I do have Michaels nearby, and I also shop at Golda's Kitchen; but I think those impression mats are going to leave too thin of a line for what I'd like. I took a real close look at the one from earlenscakes.com and it looks better than the others, but I'm hesitant to place the order since I don't know EXACTLY what it looks like (sizing). I'm on a mission now... icon_twisted.gif

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 24

What about pressing a dowel into the sides of the cake???

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:49pm
post #14 of 24

Martha Stewart is a hard act to follow. That is a big undertaking icon_razz.gif

Ms. Stewart uses everything from rubber stamps to a spatula to make an imprint in the icing or fondant.

To get this look I am thinking maybe um well no that wont work um well hmmm. THis is a stumper isnt it!

Look for a rolling mat with this texture, some of the rubber like shelf liners are textured in this pattern or perhaps get a carpenter buddy create a special rolling pin for you. Take a wooden pin and have them carve the grooves into the pin for you. Then you can simply roll it out and apply. And the best thing you get a new toy to use over and over again! YIPPEE

sweettoothmom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 24

I am so sorry I just realized that this was a very old post. How did it turn out? What did you end up using I would love to see your end product. I will read those dates better in the future. icon_redface.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:25am
post #16 of 24

This is a long shot but the plastic tops to my vegetable bins in my frige are ridged like this.

I wonder if you could fashion something out of bamboo skewers? I think I would insert each end of each skewer them into two thin foam strips. And lay that on a piece of fondant and try to use a rolling pin. wow that's a long shot though.

I think the biggie on this design is the scalloped cutting across the top of every other line.

sweettoothmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:13pm
post #17 of 24

Look at the scrapbook sotres for the roller type of rubber stamps. They can make the embossing and then simply use an xacto knife to cut the fondant away for the scapploed edge line.

brinana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brinana Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:02pm
post #18 of 24

i have seen these icing tools that come in most icing kits, its trisangle shaped plastic tool that has like little triangle teethe to crate that look itds called a profile icer...maybe this will halp sorry if it doesnt.

sweettoothmom Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #19 of 24

Let us know how it turns out and what you learned on how to obtain the right look.
We wish you luck!

FantasyLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FantasyLand Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:08am
post #20 of 24

Any news ...?

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:49am
post #21 of 24

I don't know if this helps but here are two suggestions and apologies if you've heard this before. One is to get a ridged rolling pin and the second is to use a piece of corrugated cardboard which you can get from a DIY store or from some art shop on your rolled out fondant. As for the scallops, a fluted tart pan might help.

sweettoothmom Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:29pm
post #22 of 24

With the cardboard do you have to worry about fibers and dust etc? Could you cover it with plastic wrap and then use it over and over? Also does it absorb oils, colors etc like paper would?

Spills Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #23 of 24

Sorry for keeping you all in suspense...lol I'm really not impressed AT ALL with the way it turned out - I don't even think I'll post it in My Photos.

Anyways, I ordered the impression mat and STILL haven't recieved it, so I improvised - I went to the local dollar store, found these 6" long wooden coffee stir sticks that were thinner than popcicle sticks, and all the same width. Then some "cutting boards" that were no more than sheets of plastic. I glued the coffee sticks to the mats keeping one coffee stick length between each to keep it consistant. Gluing the two mats together gave me over 2' to work with.

I used the Wilton fondant cutter (swiggly cutter) to do the edging.

I have issues working with fondant at the best of times, but the fondant on this cake topped all my past attempts. I couldn't have the 10" square fondant all in one peice - it was just too large for one set of hands/arms to handle...so unfortnuately I had to put it on like panels.

Thanks for everyone's help with this - I just wish I could afford to practice more - obviously I need a lot more of it.
LL

sweettoothmom Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm
post #24 of 24

Do not apologize for keeping us in suspense we are all so happy with your replying when so manty just dont sometimes. I know we are all busy.

AND THAT IS A GOOD LOOKING CAKE! I think I like your design better than the original. Sorry Martha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%