How Easy Or Hard Is It Too Attach Loops For A Bow ...

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm by Texas_Rose

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 7

On top of a cake ... I just recently saw a post where the person pinched a flat toothpick between the looped ends and inserted it that way. I see many bows where I do not believe this method is used
and am wondering is it just buttercream or royal icing that is used to attach loops to the cake to form the bow ??? icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank you

6 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 7

You can use buttercream or royal icing. I've used buttercream on just about every bow I've done.
The last bow I attached, I used melted chocolate melts - worked the best for me! However, it dries pretty fast and I didn't have any "play" when putting the bow together on top of the cake!

Good Question! thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 7

I have used royal and candy melts and I prefer royal..The candy melts were really heavy and I was concerned the bow would squish the top tier.Royal was lighter for some reason!!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 7

i've only made 2 bows but used royal-it acts as a really nice glue-there's also a tutorial on making bows-search galleries and i think anie2 has one on youtube(more for the loop bows, not package bows) does that make sense? she also shows you how to make an edible glue that dries clear but i haven't tried that yet gl

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 7

Excellent I will check out the tutorials and the RI
and to you mjs4492 thumbs_up.gificon_razz.gif Thank you

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 7

icon_smile.gif Anytime!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 7

I use candy melts to put the bow together. I don't form it on top of the cake. I put a sheet of waxed paper in a cake pan the diameter I want my finished bow to be, put a blob of melted candy in the middle, stick the ends of the loops in, put more candy, more loops, and so on until the bow is done. The candy will dry hard enough to pick up the bow fairly quickly. When you're ready to use it, just peel off the waxed paper and set the bow on the cake.

I've noticed that I can get a nicer-looking bow if I trim the ends of the dried loops with kitchen shears before I build the bow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%