What To Dry Daisies On?

Decorating By Kaybaby Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 2:25am by Kaybaby

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 11

I only have the long plastic, flower formers. They are making my Daisies a weird shape. I tried an egg carton and the flower fell in to much. Anyting else that would work?

Thanks,

Vonda

10 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 11

Try an egg carton again but put some cotton in the bottom to make it a little shallower. If you try this and it works, let me know because I am going to try it myself.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 11

The center roll from a paper towel roll, cut in half.

Since it is cardboard, you can fan it out a liittle more so the daisies have some shape, but don't curl as much as the former causes.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 11

I saved one of the pieces of the large egg cartons that hold I think 5 dozen eggs. I turned them over and dried my daisies upside down on those. Worked perfectly!

Kaybaby Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I added the cotton ball to the egg carton and it worked. We seldom eat eggs so we only have the one carton. I'm going to try the paper towel roll. I need to dry quite a few Daisies.

Vonda

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 11

Please don't use egg cartons, the health departments would scream long and loud, there is just too much chance of salmonella
poisoning from egg cartons.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKake

Please don't use egg cartons, the health departments would scream long and loud, there is just too much chance of salmonella

Is there a problem even if they are thoroughly washed and rinsed?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

The center roll from a paper towel roll, cut in half.

Since it is cardboard, you can fan it out a liittle more so the daisies have some shape, but don't curl as much as the former causes.

This is what I've been doing for years. A lady who owned a cake supply shop told not waste money on the plastic flower troughs when the paper towel core worked great.

Kaybaby Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I added the cotton ball to the egg carton and it worked. We seldom eat eggs so we only have the one carton. I'm going to try the paper towel roll. I need to dry quite a few Daisies.

Vonda

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKake

Is there a problem even if they are thoroughly washed and rinsed?

You may use them if you wrap them well... take press n seal and just wrap the heck out of them .. getting down in the crevices are tricky but.. it will work.. Also... egg crate foam .. works also icon_smile.gif

Kaybaby Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #11 of 11

I used the only empty paper towel roll we had, so I used the roll as my template and cut up an old poster board. It worked great.

Thanks,

Vonda

PS sorry about the double postings

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%