Friend Pricing Issue-Long

Decorating By sarahpierce Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 5:47pm by tjsmommy

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #31 of 41

You shouldn't feel bad that they won't have nice cakes at their wedding. - probably to them the pig roast party is more important - Sad to say!!! When I got married, my husband was more interested in the open bar than the cake.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #32 of 41

A couple of mos ago I quoted a cake price to one of my husbands coworkers at 2.25 a serving. The cake wasn't going to cost more than 300.00, less if they bought some sheet cakes at Costco! I never heard anything back. DH and I went to their wedding last weekend and the cake wasn't fabulous. The tiers weren't sized properly, the icing was sliding off the edges and when i had a piece (because of course I had to see what they got!), it was canned icing!!! I think they had a family member make it for them, but really, canned icing?! It's not hard to make buttercream and it tastes sooo much better! Good for you sticking to your guns. You would have been PO'd if you'd been making the cake for less than you quoted.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm
post #33 of 41

I know. I'm trying to take a deep breath and repeat over and over again, "To each their own. To each their own..." I guess I'm just baffled that they are being so clueless. They've been planning this for a year, and the price I quoted them is a weeks salary. Just to be so ill-prepared is what bugs me. Me and my husband were engaged for 7 weeks. And our wedding was AWESOME! But, I'm sure that was because it was "our" wedding, I am biased on that.

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm
post #34 of 41

Everybody has different priorities - everyone. The rehearsal party is apparently very important to them. It's their money. Just let it go.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:20pm
post #35 of 41

I think at pretty much any price, these folks would've been tough to deal with.

Isn't it nice now to just be able to comment on it rather than have to DO all that and know that you were being used? I'm happy for you for sticking to your pricing and it will be interesting to hear from you what they ended up with!

sarahpierce Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:30pm
post #36 of 41

It's probably best that I'm not doing it anyways. My husband may be having his 2nd back surgery soon. I have too much on my plate right now as it is. Thanks for all your support everyone. I'll let you know how it all turns out. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #37 of 41

Sarah, I hope your hubby gets better soon. This was a funny thread to read. When is the wedding and PLEASE let us know how the cakes and cupcakes turn out! Take pictures!!! hahahahah

Indy is right about how long it takes these people. For my aunts birthday party it took someone 5 hours to make 36 cupcakes using a box mix and canned frosting!!! ROFL!!! And the icing melted in the car! LOL

sarahpierce Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #38 of 41

The wedding is Sept. 26th. I'll sneak some pictures for you guys. But what if they turn out beautiful? That won't be as fun icon_evil.gif .O.K. I'll stop, now I'm just being mean icon_smile.gif .

tjsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjsmommy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm
post #39 of 41

Good for you for sticking to your guns!!I read these types of threads on here in shock since I've joined, the ones where people want a beautiful cake for free or close to it.It's ridiculous icon_eek.gif I admit, I'm brand new at decorating, I've only done 3 cakes so far!But how can people look at a gorgeous cake like the ones that you guys on this site create (I look through the photos on here in awe, you guys all amaze me with your talent), & think only of the cost of ingredients?!Ugh...it's like this small bakery we have around here-they make the best cakes, a buttercream from heaven, & when I buy from there for my kids' birthday parties, people act like I'm nuts because of the price...well, I'm sorry, but it's well worth it to me!

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #40 of 41

I had someone just last week trying to scam a cheap cake from me after seeing the cake I made for my neighbor. While I was trying to enjoy the party she decided to sit down with me and tell me she wanted me to make her son's cake .........then she tells me what she wants- a treasure chest after which she proceeds to tell ME that it will be very easy," its just 2 rectangles stacked" You know I dont go around telling people with other jobs how easy their jobs are or that I would even assume to know what their jobs entail! Who the hell does she think shes talking to? An idiot I guess?!? Do you even do business with someone like this?????

tjsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjsmommy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:47pm
post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett5

I had someone just last week trying to scam a cheap cake from me after seeing the cake I made for my neighbor. While I was trying to enjoy the party she decided to sit down with me and tell me she wanted me to make her son's cake .........then she tells me what she wants- a treasure chest after which she proceeds to tell ME that it will be very easy," its just 2 rectangles stacked" You know I dont go around telling people with other jobs how easy their jobs are or that I would even assume to know what their jobs entail! Who the hell does she think shes talking to? An idiot I guess?!? Do you even do business with someone like this?????

Ugh...tell her if it's *that* easy, then she shouldn't have a problem making it herself!! icon_evil.gificon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%