?? Regarding New Items In 2009 Wilton Book

Decorating By shanasweets Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 1:09am by tracey1970

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #1 of 13

I have seen a couple things I like in the new wilton book. Esp the new fondant mat with floral pattern. Does anyone know when these items will come out.. I have only seen new book at cake decorating store. Hobby lobby and walmart have not gotten yet. I would like to get this mat w/ coupon, so do these stores get them later than cake supply places. thanks

12 replies
weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #2 of 13

I saw the mat before I saw the book. It was at my Michaels store. At least a month before I saw the book. If you have one close try there.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 13

Our mats are already available at both Michaels and AC Moore.

I'm pretty miffed at Wilton, 'cause more and more of their year books are taken over with cupcakes and fondant. Stuff I'm not all that interested in doing, or don't have the proficiency yet to do.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 13

The new tools and such have been out since April/May.

I know Michael's has them. Not sure about the other stores because the 2 other ones in my area don't carry any Wilton.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 13

OK missmeg, I've seen your gallery and non-interest is one thing but you definitely have the proficiency to try your hand at some fondant!! icon_smile.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 13

Our Hobby Lobby has the new wilton products and has had them for a few weeks now. I am a WMI there, and my supervisor said that most stores have them, but some stores aren't displaying them yet because they have to reset the aisles first. HTH

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 13

I've been told that Michael's is the 'testing ground' for Wilton, everything from classes to products. Michael's usually has product/classes at least 6 mos ahead of the other retailers. Our AC Moore just got the new Wilton products whereas they have been available for quite sometime at Michaels. I haven't seen anything new in Walmart yet.

jene4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jene4 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 13

I used the floral mat at the Annual Instructor Meeting for Wilton at the end of June. Yes, it does turn out. You have to use a small rolling pin and roll very slowly or else you will have "shadowing." I don't believe you have to use shortening or a dusting pouch whatsoever. We covered a 6" cake with it and it worked pretty well but I haven't used it on larger cakes yet. Someone even tried using it on a cake iced with buttercream and it worked (at least on the top). I don't know how you would manage the sides though. My Hobby Lobby had it in stock the Monday I got back from AIM and I noticed that our Michael's had it, too.

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 13

I have a hard time finding alot of Wiltons cake decorating supplies where I live. I usually just go to Wiltons online store and purchase there. Ebay always has alot of Wilton things too!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

OK missmeg, I've seen your gallery and non-interest is one thing but you definitely have the proficiency to try your hand at some fondant!! icon_smile.gif

I'm feelin the love icon_smile.gif . Thank you awolf for the compliment. I've gotten brave enough to try fondant accents, but I just don't feel I'm there yet to cover a cake. Tried it once and it was an unmitigated disaster.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 13

missmeg - try it again! I'm a true beginner, and I find covering a cake in fondant easier than getting butercream smooth. If more of the people for whom I make cakes loved fondant (and I use Satin Ice, so it's not really a taste issue, just texture), I'd use it even more than I do. Everyone I know is so impressed by a fondant-covered cake that it's a shame more people don't want to eat it.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:11am
post #12 of 13

[quote="tracey1970"]missmeg - try it again! I'm a true beginner, and I find covering a cake in fondant easier than getting butercream smooth. If more of the people for whom I make cakes loved fondant (and I use Satin Ice, so it's not really a taste issue, just texture), I'd use it even more than I do. Everyone I know is so impressed by a fondant-covered cake that it's a shame more people don't want to eat it.[/quote

I agree Tracy! with AWOLF too! It's very fun and practice practice practice! thumbs_up.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #13 of 13

Yes, and the two things I've learned through serious (and repeated) trial and error are to roll out the fondant a bit thicker than many people think (maybe almost a 1/4 inch thick) and to roll it out on a mat lightly coated with shortening to avoid sticking and to avoid drying out the fondant (which then cracks!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%