gottabakenow Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:05am
post #1 of 59

kinda cute.

www.cupcakecaps.com

58 replies
aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:31am
post #2 of 59

It is cute. I thought at first it was some king of stencil or mold. I think it's kind of expensive if you are going to use these on a cupcake that is to be sold. Just a thought.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:37am
post #3 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa053103

It is cute. I thought at first it was some king of stencil or mold. I think it's kind of expensive if you are going to use these on a cupcake that is to be sold. Just a thought.

I agree... wish I would have thought of it icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:40am
post #4 of 59

Is it just me, or does anyone else not know what to think of that? Cute, but it leaves me with this feeling like....WHAT??? I understand the instructions and what they are promoting, but I guess what I am feeling is why? Even before I took classes, I enjoyed frosting cupcakes and adding all the sprinkles, and lil decorations you get from the store and I would not imagine placing a "cap" on top of something that is already good. I understand some aim for presentation, but for me it can look great, but it has to taste great too.

Sincerely,
Veronica

PS They have a great sense of humor

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:41am
post #5 of 59

Are they fondant??

foxymomma521 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

Are they fondant??

Yes... I think Wilton gives instructions for them in their F&G class book, but I could be wrong...

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 59

"And NO! They are NOT made of fondant.
They're MUCH better than that!"

not fondant?? so what are they then?

they do have a great sense of humor.

foxymomma521 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 59

Maybe some form of RBC then? Here are the ingredients...
Ingredients: Cane sugar, Corn syrup, Dextrose, Cornstarch,
Water, Gelatin, Natural and artificial flavors, Artificial colors, Tetrasodium

gottabakenow Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:16pm
post #9 of 59

oh could be!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #10 of 59

They seem very expensive, but someone like me who, despite loving to decorate, tends for things NOT to come out the way I hoped, well, it'd be nice to have something on hand to cover up my mistakes. icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 59

Just think about it... the new wedding trend. Who needs a cake when you can make your own cupcakes and voila.... gorgeous and error-proof.

Honestly, I think it's a fantastic idea and it's going in my faves!

ninalou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninalou Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm
post #12 of 59

Personally i think they're hideous!
If you want something that looks 'manufactured' then you might as well get store bought cakes.

I much prefer a slightly less than perfect hand made cupcake!! icon_smile.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:57pm
post #13 of 59

I'm with you, ninalou - they are appalling!! I'd never have them - for a client, or for myself! bah!

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 59

i think that they are ok looking but, i would never use them, you dont now how they make them... if they are clean... too many ifs

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #15 of 59

I think there o.k. but NOT something I'd put on a cupcake.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninalou

Personally i think they're hideous!
If you want something that looks 'manufactured' then you might as well get store bought cakes.

I much prefer a slightly less than perfect hand made cupcake!! icon_smile.gif

Ditto to that!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:39pm
post #17 of 59

there cute, if you can't decorate at all.
but I want to eat my cupcake!

melody

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #18 of 59

Its a cute idea but I just think it will give more people the impression that they can get gorgeous cakes without effort and think that we should be giving the stuff away because its so effortless!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #19 of 59

It's kinda funny how they put a photo of Martha Stewart Weddings on there. Not that they claimed to be in it or anything, but when you first see it you think "wow! Were they in that magazine?" And then you just see that "Martha" suggests doing cupcakes for weddings.
LOL
I don't think they are that bad. Some of them are pretty. But I could do it myself.

JenInAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenInAZ Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:39pm
post #20 of 59

What worries me is that they're produced in a place that also handles nuts... Could pose a problem at a bigger event where someone wouldn't think to ask if the frosting had contact with nuts... yikes!!

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #21 of 59

Still wondering what they are made of. It says on the website that they will last forever! Hmmmm....and not fondant...hmmmm...

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:03pm
post #22 of 59

Hmm...

In the "how to" section it says, "Bake the cupcakes so that the edge of the cupcake is just a little below the top edge of the cupcake paper. That seems to leave just about the right amount of space for frosting."

I'm not sure about anyone else, but that seems as though it would result in a small serving. Personally, I'd be very disappointed! Half cake, half "firm but very bitable" topping. I'll pass! I like my cupcakes to have tops. icon_wink.gif

gottabakenow Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #23 of 59

someone on the first page- forget who- suggested that maybe they're made out some kind of rolled buttercream. i think they are. take a look at the ingredients.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm
post #24 of 59

their faq's page is interesting... all the <wink>'s don't say pro to me, know what I mean?

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm
post #25 of 59

I don't think they are RBC, they are fat-free.

The ingredients as mentioned earlier are: Ingredients: Cane sugar, Corn syrup, Dextrose, Cornstarch,
Water, Gelatin, Natural and artificial flavors, Artificial colors, Tetrasodium

Even though it says they are not fondant, the ingredients are similar to fondant. I still say, "hmmm..."

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellejoey

Still wondering what they are made of. It says on the website that they will last forever! Hmmmm....and not fondant...hmmmm...

That seems frightening. I was thinking that they were molded chocolate - but chocolate won't last forever. This "mystery topping" doesn't appeal to me.

bartar01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bartar01 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:33pm
post #27 of 59

Under FAQs:

"You have an event. You want fabulous cupcakes. You have a budget and/or you want to do at least part of the project yourself (do your friends call you "Martha"?). You bake the cupcakes, schmear a little frosting on, plop Cupcake Caps on top, and Ta Da! You have beautiful, party-ready cupcakes. : ) "

I am pretty sure "Martha" would decorate her own cupcakes.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #28 of 59

They are interesting and have the clean look of the cupcakes that
Elisa Strauss creates... but I wonder if you would not simply have the same reaction that you get with most fondant cakes --simply pull the top of the cupcake off and toss it aside in order to get to the good stuff.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #29 of 59

Sounds like marshmallow. It'd get "firm but bitey" over time. I wonder what they're using to get those deep impressions. Candy molds?

I guess if you want to make your own cupcakes, but don't have any decorating knowledge/ talent and you wanted them to look "perfect" they'd work. But I agree. I love the beauty of imperfections.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:30pm
post #30 of 59

I'm tempted to order some just to see what they're made out of . . . they'd have to have some type of ingredient list wouldn't they?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%