Drawing On Buttercream?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 12 Aug 2015 , 5:13pm by Honey6983

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:46am
post #1 of 12

I saw this cake and found it to be so adorable. I love the style of it too. I was wondering how it was done. Is it FBCT or was it drawn? Is it even possible to draw onto BC like that? Wheere there are two different colors at the top, how would you do that?

this is by kiddocakes

this is by sbcakes

I really like the style so I hope someone can help me out. thanks!

11 replies
Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:06am
post #2 of 12

you can use piping gel and transfer the design onto the cake. This looks like how this was done.

yellowducky1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowducky1 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:14am
post #3 of 12

yes you can draw on buttercreme. I have done many drawings on cakes. I dont know what FBCT means. anyway if you want to do those drawing on buttercreme you would for example with those pics do the following.

1. outline the different areas for the backgrounds with the different colors and then fill it in with the colors. take a wet spatula ( one of the small angeled one) and smooth each color off.
2. than just pipe your designs on ( butterflie, flower, number, etc.
3. just smooth your piped designs tooo with a wet spatula like before.
4. if you want than you can outline everything and put detail on the decorations.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:23am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowducky1

yes you can draw on buttercreme. I have done many drawings on cakes. I dont know what FBCT means. anyway if you want to do those drawing on buttercreme you would for example with those pics do the following.

1. outline the different areas for the backgrounds with the different colors and then fill it in with the colors. take a wet spatula ( one of the small angeled one) and smooth each color off.
2. than just pipe your designs on ( butterflie, flower, number, etc.
3. just smooth your piped designs tooo with a wet spatula like before.
4. if you want than you can outline everything and put detail on the decorations.

do you freehand it? am not very good at drawing icon_sad.gif that's why i thought FBCT would be fine. it looks drawn to me.

Tona, what's piping gel? and how do you do it, care to explain to me? please? icon_smile.gif

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 12

Like Yellowducky1, I too draw all my images on to the buttercream. I do it free-hand. I first use a toothpick to get the image on and make sure it's proportionate, then I use BC to outline it and fill it in, or else I use an airbrush to add the color.

If you're not so artistically inclined, you can do something similar to a FBCT. Print the image you want to copy to the cake onto tracing paper (onion skin paper...whatever), then lay it on the cake.

Using a toothpick, poke holes through the image and into the cake. Trace out the main outlines and bolder lines onto the cake (like using one of those pumpkin carving kits).

Then, using a small piping tip, outline the image and then fill it in using different colors of BC or airbrushing. I have a many examples in my pics if you want to take a look!

It's not so important as to HOW you get the image on the cake, just so long as you get it there!! icon_biggrin.gif

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 12

I do like tona said. I take a pic and reverse it then print it out. I take a piece of parchment paper and put it over the pic. then, using piping gel and usually tip 2, althought it depends on the design, and trace the pic. when done I place it on the cake and use a small paint brush and smooth all over. then go over it with whatever colors and sometimes I star-tip. hope this makes sense icon_biggrin.gif

buttercup212215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercup212215 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 12

i also use piping gel anf transfer onto the cake then i color it in with the piping gel. i have some pics in my photos (taz,tweety.and a few more)you can find directions on the wilton web site

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 12

I do alot of cakes with hand-applied pictures. I use a projector to get the image on the cake, then outline with thick Toba's Glaze (usually used on cookies) and fill in with regular consistency Toba's Glaze. Before I bought the projector I used the toothpick method (print out image, place against styrofoam, poke dot-to-dot style along lines to get imprint of the image on the back of the paper, then carefully smooth on top of the cake to transfer image) to apply the image to the cake. There are examples in my photos.

Julie icon_smile.gif

bradterrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradterrie Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 12

Hello, I'm new here and wouldn't really appreciate a little help from y'all regarding the buttercream drawing.  I have always used fondant, mmf , but I have a cake to finish by Friday and it will be buttercream.  I have no clue what kind of buttercream, do I use crusting buttercream?  Will drawing on the crusted buttercream with a toothpick  make a mess of the buttercream ? Or do I use butter based buttercream to draw the outlines with the toothpick?  If it's possible,  I  prefer to  use crusting buttercream.  

Also, is it possible to mix vodka and gel food coloring or powder color , to paint onto the buttercream? 

Thank you all for the wonderful things yall do here.

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 12

Bradterrie, I would use the crusting buttercream.  I have used a toothpick, skewer and even a paring knife and not had too much trouble of making a mess.  Everyone has their own way of doing things.  If it were me, I would practice before I attempted it on the cake if you have never done it before.  Just smooth some icing on a cake board or piece of parchment paper, let it crust and then try your drawing.  Be sure to make the icing fairly thick to make it similiar to the cake surface.

It is possible to mix vodka with either gel or powder.  I prefer the powder.  You can add water to the gel coloring also but it gives a more watercolor look.

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 12

Vodka and gel do not mix. Vodka will make the gel set into a ball. Don't ask me why because I have no idea. After many failed attempts, I cleaned my brush in water and realised that the gel dissolves in water so now I use water instead. A bit of colour in your palette, a bit of water, swish your brush, remove excess on side of palette and away you go. Vodka will work well with food dusts. There are also paints you can buy that are like acrylics but made for food use. There is not a huge range of colours, though. You use them straight from the bottle with your paintbrushes. Finally, I have seen a video tutorial where Shawna McGreevy is using airbrush colours to paint directly from the bottles. This sounds like a clever idea because airbrush colours have a broader range. Do experiment and see what works best for you! :)

Honey6983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey6983 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 12

FYI, White Flower Cake Shop has an online tutorial for drawing on buttercream: http://shop.whiteflowercake.com/products/tutorial-attempt-5

I've taken a couple of their other tutorials and they are worth the money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%