Business By melodyscakes Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 9:34pm by margaretb

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:26pm
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

French van. was yellow.

the update:
the father called me back, for I told him to give me a day to research because I really thought he was full of it.
anyway, this father, lets call him a "dadzilla"
omg said that having the fillings...which I did NOT charge for anyway, practically ruined the entire wedding day and he felt the only way to rectify this situation was a 100% refund! give me a freakin' break!
I said I was very sorry the fillings were wrong, and I could see how my employee confused them with the way I wrote it, and I could not give a 100% refund, so he insisted on a bit more then half. grrrrrr
I agree to half a refund to shut the ball baby up.....I again told him to tell his daughter I was sorry, what is her address so I could mail her a check....
get this, he said , well her mother and I paid for the cake, so send us the refund.
excuse me, if your daughter is so distraught, why the he!! are you getting yourself a refund?

grrrrrr

I wonder really if there is an article going around that tells brides (or there parents ) to get the wedding of their dreams, forget the cost because when its over complain about everything and get part of your money back.

grrrrrrr

melody

Melody, Melody, Melody, ...( can you just hear the sigh?)

You need to call back Senor Butt Face and tell him you'll be happy to refund 100% of the cost of the fillings, since that is what was incorrect, and if I'm right, that means you owe him a big fat bupkiss.

I am all about customer service, but as soon as someone gets ornery with me, especially with a comment like the lack of Bavarian crean nearly ruined the whole wedding, then I just decide it is best for us to part company.

The reason to give a refund is to make amends. This guy is never going to recommend you. You can't do anything to repair this relationship. He doesn't need a refund. He needs a kick in the keister.

Keep you money. You earned it....

( whew...I feel better, don't you ?)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm
post #32 of 39

And as I recall, you charged zilp for the filling!!
This is getting better 'n better!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:10am
post #33 of 39

Give me a break... flavors on a cake does NOT ruin your wedding! The cake looked beautiful, they got nice pictures and they were able to serve their guests. IF indeed there was a mixup a small compensation would be appropriate... but it needs to be proportional to the mistake. I would give NO CASH! I would offer to make an anniversary cake, maybe a 10inch or a birthday cake or something.

If the dad has PROOF, which I doubt, then offer the cake. Otherwise tell him "I'm sorry you feel there was an error, I tried really hard to get it right" I'm afraid he is going to be bragging later to all his friends how he "got the cake for half price, ha ha ha ha" This guy could be scamming you. What is stopping anyone from calling and saying the flavor was wrong and they want a full refund? If it is moldy yes, otherwise NO!

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:09am
post #34 of 39
Quote:

I asked him why it took so long to call, he said they left the very next day for the honey moon......yep, THEY left mom and dad went on honeymoon with the bride and groom. okay. thats strange, but whatever.

Well that explains A LOT right there.....

Sorry for your experience. I may be a overly laid back, but if I had a beautiful cake that my guests loved, I really wouldn't have cared.

If my limo driver showed up in a Pinto...now that's a wedding day ruiner...not a cake filling...who cares???

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenshan

If my limo driver showed up in a Pinto...now that's a wedding day ruiner...not a cake filling...who cares???

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #36 of 39

The nerve of some people.

It's so sad that the wedding was totally ruined for each of the guests, who obviously must've had copies of contract showing what the cake flavor and filling would be! ...extreme sarcasm warning...

Are you kidding? I changed my mind from the 25% refund and credit towards another cake. Now I think you should call the bride, whose cake it was in the first place and ask her about it just to see what she says.

If you did not deal with the dad when contracting the cake, why should you be dealing with him now? That would be no different than a guest calling to complain.

Totally ridiculous - they guy is just trying to see if he can get something out of you. I wonder if he called the DJ and demanded a full refund because ONE song was played that HE didn't like???? icon_rolleyes.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #37 of 39

Who signed your contract? That's who I would be dealing with regardless of who paid.

And I definitely wouldn't be giving them half of their money back, for most of the reasons listed above.

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:45am
post #38 of 39
Quote:

French van. was yellow.

the update:
the father called me back, for I told him to give me a day to research because I really thought he was full of it.
anyway, this father, lets call him a "dadzilla"
omg said that having the fillings...which I did NOT charge for anyway, practically ruined the entire wedding day and he felt the only way to rectify this situation was a 100% refund! give me a freakin' break!
I said I was very sorry the fillings were wrong, and I could see how my employee confused them with the way I wrote it, and I could not give a 100% refund, so he insisted on a bit more then half. grrrrrr
I agree to half a refund to shut the ball baby up.....I again told him to tell his daughter I was sorry, what is her address so I could mail her a check....
get this, he said , well her mother and I paid for the cake, so send us the refund.
excuse me, if your daughter is so distraught, why the he!! are you getting yourself a refund?

grrrrrr

I wonder really if there is an article going around that tells brides (or there parents ) to get the wedding of their dreams, forget the cost because when its over complain about everything and get part of your money back.

grrrrrrr

melody

I believw %50 was the right thing to do.
Regardless if the fillings were free, a mistake was made.
Maybe the flavor combinations weren't to their taste. You admitted youself that you can see how the mistake may have happened, so just own up to it.
And for waiting to call and complain, it is possible that he waited for his daughter to come back from her honeymoon and she told her parents that since it was their money that they should ask for the refund.
Regardless if it was for his daughter. Everyone expects to get what they paid for.
You should add a clause in you contract as to a time frame in which cutomers should contact you with complaints and also inform them of such information during consultations.
Because some couples leave for their honeymoons directly following the reception.

I feel your pain. But I also believe its a situation of 'live and learn'.
It happened. And nows the time to take percautions so that it doesn't happen again.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:34pm
post #39 of 39

>I wonder really if there is an article going around that tells brides (or there parents ) to get the wedding of their dreams, forget the cost because when its over complain about everything and get part of your money back.

That's exactly what I thought of when reading this thread.

Definitely make sure you only issue a refund, should you do so, to the person with whom you have the contract. Otherwise, you are giving the complainer a GIFT.

Here's one more thing to remember to put in a contract if I ever strike out in the cake business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%