I'm The Rebel Of My Class!

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 3:52am by TexasSugar

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 14

I decided to go ahead and take the Wilton fondant and gumpaste class although I've been playing with it for about a year off and on. They didn't offer it when I took my classes. I show up at Micheal's with my Plano tackle box Wal-Mart instead of the Wilton caddy. I have my 2" pvc (thanks to CC icon_biggrin.gif ) instead of the Wilton rolling pin, my vinyl (thanks to CC) instead of the roll and cut mat, my Satin Ice 5lb. tub with varying colors of fondant (thanks to CC) including a batch of MMF. Someone mentioned MMF and I mentioned I had some and let someone taste it - which they liked much more than Wilton, of course. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm such a rebel! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

We may have some new members because I raved about CC! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 14

you go girl -- spread that gospel of CC!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 14

That's great - CC at its finest! icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 14

Thats too funny, i made my wilton teacher mad when i said i didnt like the taste of there Butter cream icing, so i made up my own taste a whole lot better needless to say she didnt like me much after that, icon_rolleyes.gif

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 14

Thats funny. My wilton instructor is the one who told me about CC. He raved about it. Now that I'm an instructor I tell my students on the first class.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 14

I used to teach Wilton classes, and I would have loved it if someone came in to class like you. Wilton teachers aren't supposed to use or talk about other brands besides Wilton. I had to go buy Wilton stuff to take with me to teach! All my bags were Ateco, colors were Americolor, etc. The only think I had Wilton were my tips!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 14

I am glad you are taking a WIlton class, and that you have learned a lot of valuable info here on Cake Central, it's an awesome sight.

I hope this is not taken the wrong way, because I am not here to make enemies. It is basically a call for leniency on your WIlton instructor.

For many of us Wilton instructors, Wilton has been a great and loyal employer, who takes us care of us much better than some of the companies that many craft store teachers represent. We are more interested in you learning, and not trying to brainwash people into believing there is only one cake decorating company out there. The stores that offer our classes do so because Wilton sells their products there. Most other cake companies are not so willing to try to educate the general masses, non-culinary student type, un-initiated cake makers. But Wilton is. Most instructors are not interested wether or not you like the taste of the Wilton recipe icing, but will you be able to replicate it at home for the sake of practicing without it turning into a puddle? It is hard to demonstrate for someone with soupy or too stiff icing. Most of us will tell you to experiment and make what you like, but for class purposes the Wilton icing does hold up well. Most do not care if you don't like Wilton fondant, but most people just learning can easily get it and afford it, especially since the classes offer a discount on products and are readily available at the store. It can also be a distraction when the whole class centers on what "you" brought as compared to the uninitiated who brought the WIlton products for the reasons stated above.
Granted, in class we are not supposed to be talking about other brands, and as far as classes are concerned, the other brands aren't paying our mortgages. I would not go as far as to saying it is like eating at McDonalds's and carrying in your Wendy's bag. Your choice of cake equipment is your choice, I only hope for your instructor's sake it isn't a distraction and does not put them between a rock and a hard place. THey are there to help and teach. It can be very difficult for us when other brands are brought in.

I love Cake Central, and I talk about it in class. I think the people here are great and I hope all cake people come here to find what works for them.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 14

icon_biggrin.gif WoooHooo walking on the wild side of cake decorating. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

It can also be a distraction when the whole class centers on what "you" brought as compared to the uninitiated who brought the WIlton products for the reasons stated above.
Granted, in class we are not supposed to be talking about other brands, and as far as classes are concerned, the other brands aren't paying our mortgages.

Your choice of cake equipment is your choice, I only hope for your instructor's sake it isn't a distraction and does not put them between a rock and a hard place. THey are there to help and teach. It can be very difficult for us when other brands are brought in.

No, I don't take it the wrong way, I agree with what you said. I have never been a rebel before and didn't intend to be this time, I just have a little more experience than most in the class room, which is very unusual for me anyway. I actually sat in the back of the class and didn't try to bring attention to anything 'different' than I had. I realize that the teacher has to use Wilton, promote it, etc. and I felt weird with my Satin Ice but I didn't mention it myself. But, I already had it and didn't see any reason to buy new fondant when I still had some.

The MMF issue was unusual and I didn't bring it up. We were putting our things away and the teacher was preparing to demonstrate how to cover a cake in fondant. Until I got to class, I had forgotten that I had any MMF. As we were putting stuff away, I wasn't paying real close attention and someone mentioned the "marshmallow fondant". I just said "I have some" because they were talking about it and someone was interested in how it tasted.

I completely understand the teachers point of view. About the pvc pipe, I didn't feel so bad when another Wilton instructor was in the class and had a pvc pipe herself because they didn't have any more rolling pins. I believe this is a new teacher that is taking this class and starts teaching the first class on Thursday night - or something like that.

I definitely did not and do not mean to go in and badmouth the Wilton products or the teacher or cause problems. Like I said, I sat in the back. I have been a faithful Wilton user for a long time but I'm also really glad to be able to learn about some other products available now.

The only thing they really noticed was this big ole' honkin' tackle box because it was so big and held EVERYTHING (almost) in an organized manner. One per woman brought in a big storage bin full of stuff. Of course, I still had a bag for my fondant, rolling pin, cake board, all the big stuff that wouldn't fit.

No offense taken. I've even thought about possibly becoming a Wilton instructor myself in the future and I know how I would want my students to be and not to be (a distraction). I definitely wasn't trying to and it isn't my nature at all. icon_biggrin.gif My hubby might disagree but that's a different discussion all together! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:40am
post #10 of 14

I appreciate you seeing it from the other side. If you think of teaching anymore, it is actually an awesome program and very rewarding. I hope that anyone thinking of teaching gets into it. I enjoy it.

Have fun in class!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #11 of 14

I was the rebel of my class too!
I took the Wilton class on fondant and used some "non wilton" materials only because it was what I had and wasn't going to buy the same products again. I didn't take any other wilton classes first. There were only 5 of us in the class. One of my classmates was a friend of mine and another was a former student (who would have thunk that!) So, yeah we chatted about other products and I shared some of the tips I learned here on CC. My teacher was rather new to cake decorating and didn't know about CC, so it was my obligation to tell everybody-Right???
Anyway-I think Doug, who also has been a teacher for a long time will affirm that a lot of teachers really love the little rebels who show enthusiasm and a passion for what is going on rather that the student who focuses on always doing the right things and won't take creative risks.
So-IMHO-Rebels Rock!

Tray2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tray2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #12 of 14

Wow!!! we all have such passion... thats or best gift and worst enemy... I had an issue as well with the Wilton class. But i tried to find a balance between sharing what I know from here and opening my mind to the things I did not kow that Wilton tought me. I was unable to complete the classes for personal issues. Wilton contacted me about becoming an instructor but there were no openings in the area. I plan to do this once one is open. For anyone using CC as a place to get information have at it. But (this goes for me too) if you are willing to take the a Wilton clas after learning here you have to be willing to open your mind to what you are being tought instead of using the class as a way to show what you already know. This was VERY hard for me becasue I felt at first that I already knew so much.. But the truth is I still learned new things in the class. It's nice to have a place to get hands on help.. I still see my teacher... She is very nice and we talk often. She is going to Chicago in Oct for the Collette Peters course with wilton. I wish I was going lol.. but its something only open to instructors. I think Wilton does take care of its people and it is great to have that as an option. But passion is very important to which brings me back to the passion. You have to have it to do this work... ROCK ON ALL YOU CC'ers and ROCK ON TO ALL YOU WILTON INTRUCTORS!!!! ROCK ON TO CAKE'in

Tray2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tray2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:10am
post #13 of 14

Wow!!! we all have such passion... thats or best gift and worst enemy... I had an issue as well with the Wilton class. But i tried to find a balance between sharing what I know from here and opening my mind to the things I did not kow that Wilton tought me. I was unable to complete the classes for personal issues. Wilton contacted me about becoming an instructor but there were no openings in the area. I plan to do this once one is open. For anyone using CC as a place to get information have at it. But (this goes for me too) if you are willing to take the a Wilton clas after learning here you have to be willing to open your mind to what you are being tought instead of using the class as a way to show what you already know. This was VERY hard for me becasue I felt at first that I already knew so much.. But the truth is I still learned new things in the class. It's nice to have a place to get hands on help.. I still see my teacher... She is very nice and we talk often. She is going to Chicago in Oct for the Collette Peters course with wilton. I wish I was going lol.. but its something only open to instructors. I think Wilton does take care of its people and it is great to have that as an option. But passion is very important to which brings me back to the passion. You have to have it to do this work... ROCK ON ALL YOU CC'ers and ROCK ON TO ALL YOU WILTON INTRUCTORS!!!! ROCK ON TO CAKE'in

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:52am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

Anyway-I think Doug, who also has been a teacher for a long time will affirm that a lot of teachers really love the little rebels who show enthusiasm and a passion for what is going on rather that the student who focuses on always doing the right things and won't take creative risks.
So-IMHO-Rebels Rock!

I'm not Doug but I'm a WMI. I love students that think outside of the box. I think it is great to find creative people that are willing to try new and differnt thouhgs. I can also say I have learned things from my students.

The F/GP class is one of my favorites for the last lesson cause I encourage my students to do what they want using the techinques from the class. They have made some great cakes!!

That said, it can be very distracting to have a 'rebel' student that wants to talk over you, tries takes over the class and teach something their way, feels the need to share their recipe for icing/fondant right int he middle of the class... I am not saying anyone here has done that but I have had it happen in class. And it is a hard situation because if I try to stop it it makes me look like a bad guy.

I have a Big Lots tool box that all my F/GP stuff fits in. I carry the Wilton one to every other course, but I wanted something that everything would fit in and went out and found it. I have also sold a few of them for Big Lots too. icon_smile.gif And I do encourage my students if they like working with fondant to try homemade recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%