Buttercream For Hot Weather

Decorating By Julieboo Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm by cocobean

Julieboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julieboo Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for a buttercream thst can stand up in hot weather...maybe a good all shortening buttercream. Thank you!

3 replies
FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 4

I didn't get a chance to try it..but I inquired about this last year. Here is what a CCer recommended. You can find in the Recipe section:

High Humidity Buttercream

Serves/Yields: enough to ice and decorate a 1/4 sheet
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Frostings
Difficulty: Easy

1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2c. Crisco
3 Tbls. Dream Whip
3 drops Butter Flavoring
1/2 tsp. Clear Vanilla
3 drops Orange or Lemon Flavoring, Optional
1/4 c. Flour
1/2 c. Milk
2 lb. 10x Sugar

Mix together salt, crisco, dream whip and flavorings on high speed 4-7 minutes or until mix resembles whipped cream. Add flour, 1/2 of the milk and 1/2 of the 10x sugar. Mix until combined. Add rest of milk and 10x sugar and mix until combined.

This recipe forms a crust and is not too sweet. It is perfect for hot and humid days.
Source:
Contributed by: vrmcc1 on Monday, May 14. 2007 at 21:50:04

More Recipes of vrmcc1

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 4

Try indydebi's recipe. It holds up great and taste wonderful. Here's the link to the recipe http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-0-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 4

Julieboo, here is one I used for an outdoor weddings in the 90's.

Bakery Style Buttercream

2 lbs. powdered CANE sugar
1 1/4 c. hi-ratio shortening
3 t. Creme Bouquet or 2 t.vanilla & 3/4 t. almond & 1/4 t. CB
1 t. salt
1/8 t. cinnamon (optional) I didn't use this. But want to try sometime.
1/2 c. 2% or whole milk

Pour half of the powdered sugar into a mixing bowl, then add the shortening and all of the flavoring ingredients. Next, add the milk slowly, mixing at low speed untio smooth. Then add the remaining powdered sugar 1 c. at a time, continuing to mix on low speed with each addition until smoothe. When all ingredients have been fully blended, scrape the sides of the bowl, then turn the mixer on high speed and beat the icing for 8-10 minutes. Scrape the sides as needed during this process. This long beating process will cause the frosting to increase slightly in bulk, and it will create the consistency that is typical of bakery frosting. makes enough to frost and heavely decorate one 9" round 2-layer cake. The icing is stiff enough to pipe. Just be sure to tint with gel-based colors, not liquid food colors, so as not to thin out the icing. The frosting will begin to crust QUICKLY, so cover tightly if you are not going to use right away.

Hints:
-Do NOT substitute Hi-ratio shortening with Crisco. (I called a local bakery and asked if they would sell me some. They sold me 50 lbs. I can't remember how much I paid. It will last at least 1 year in a cool place).
-Crisco will cause the frosting to turn greesy, and will not fluff up, as Crisco tends to break down during the long beating process.
-For a true buttercream, in place of pure shortening use 1 stick of butter plus 3/4 c. of hi-ratio shortening (maybe not for outdoors)

This icing does crust Quickly. Advantages are you can actually pinch the edges of the icing for a nice sharp looking edege. Disadvantage work quickly to smooth.

*If icing has been sitting for a while, before using, stir vigorusly with a spoon to take out air bubbles.

Good luck let me know if you use this recipe and like it. I love it !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%