Black Icing

Decorating By monica7 Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 2:37am by debster

monica7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monica7 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:13am
post #1 of 21

icon_cry.gif Help, I need to make black icing and all I keep getting is gray. I tried mixing with several dark colors and you don't wanna know what happened. Can someone help me please ? icon_sad.gif

20 replies
monica7 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #2 of 21

icon_cry.gif While you're looking could you help me with red icing as well ? Please? icon_sad.gif

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #3 of 21

I allways start with chociate icing as my base for black and then use superblack gel paste coloring. As far as red goes... start with ponk then add combo of redred, super red and xmas red for a true red color. I just posted a red and black graduation cake today- take a look. HTH

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #4 of 21

I always use chocolate frosting as my base for getting black. It takes to much coloring starting from white for me to get black and it tastes bad. I use Christmas red and the no taste red from Wilton to get a red. It really looks like a dark pink at first but after it sits for an hour or so it darkens up. Hope this helps.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #5 of 21

For black, it's a really good idea to start with a chocolate icing, then add black coloring. Or, with the gray that you already have, keep adding black... when you get to a dark gray, let it sit for an hour or so. The color will deepen as it sits. If you still need to add more black, go for it.

For red, just keep adding red coloring... that's the best I can help for that. Sorry...

It takes a lot of coloring for each of those colors...

HTH!! Good luck!

tmassey5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmassey5 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #6 of 21

I can almost promise that the dark gray will soon be black! I always stop with the gray anyway.....cuts down on bleeding and always turns black.
Red.....lots of color, but starting with pink does help some. I really like the americolor over wilton.

gabbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbycakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #7 of 21

I just made black icing today! I had some white buttercream, so I added a LOT of Hershey's Special dark cocoa (6-8 tablespoons) and about 1 tsp of Wilton black gel color. It turned jet black after about an hour. If you start with chocolate you don't have to add as much color to get there.

For pink, color the icing dark pink then add red and let it sit awhile--it should end up a very nice red!

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:31am
post #8 of 21

The best advise I ever got for real black and real red icing colors was to STOP using Wilton. I use Americolor now, you can buy it online fairly cheaply. A small amount...I mean squeeze out a dot about the size of a dime, of the super black they have will give you Black Black icing if you are coloring about 1-2 cups of icing. Their red is also VERY red using only a small amount. No taste change either. This info was given to me on here 2 years ago and I haven't used Wilton since. GL.

monica7 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:31am
post #9 of 21

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks, I appreciate the input. thumbs_up.gif

monica7 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:36am
post #10 of 21

Really? I've heard of the Americolor brand before so I guess I'll give it a try. I think I've been loyal to Wilton long enough ! I'll let you know how it goes. Again many thanks to you all. icon_biggrin.gif

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #11 of 21

try adding the color before adding the powdered sugar. it will take a lot for a vibrant color, but only about half as much.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:04am
post #12 of 21

All I can say about Red and Black is AMERICOLOR Super Red , Super Black, I'll never go back to anything else, the longer it sits the darker it gets and no bad taste. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #13 of 21

Looks like I need to try the Americolor. I use a lot of black. Thanks for the tip. thumbs_up.gif

debster Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:35pm
post #14 of 21

Honestly I received the tip about Americolor on here a little over a year ago and it's been one of the best, now for another tip the best place to get the black is Into the Oven, they sell a large bottle for almost what others charge for a small. The Super Red it fantastic also. I've never had such vibrant colors and WOW no taste.

I keep both colors all the time in the refridge. For black take all your scrap BC and keep in one bowl add the black Voila. Enjoy!!!!!

monica7 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:45pm
post #15 of 21

Does into the oven have a website ? I love a bargain. princess.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #16 of 21

I know I have said this before ... and this is my opinion.. make sure before you use cocoa to make black icing that the recipient isn't allergic to chocolate....

Also Chefmaster is what I use to make black and red icing... use lots less of this product to make the true colors. icon_smile.gif

debster Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #17 of 21

Yup, www.intotheoven.com

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #18 of 21

Has anyone found that the black icing gel changes the texture of your fondant? My Wilton red did not change the texture as much as the black did. I am glad to hear about the other brands, as I have been seeking info on them. Thanks everyone!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #19 of 21

always start with chocolate for black and red icing

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #20 of 21

The way I've been told is the same for red as what others have said. Add pink first then add the red.

For the black, I use a dark gren as the base and then add black. This is how I made the red and black for my spiderman cake in my pics.

HTH
Mary

debster Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:37am
post #21 of 21

What I like so much about the Americolor is that you can achieve those dark colors from white with not using a whole lot of color and you don't have to use chocolate icing unless you want to. I really like taking all my left over icing and mixing them together and adding the black to that. It's such a black color, I love it !!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%