Results Of Heat/humidity Test On Dixie's Icing

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm by tiggy2

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 11

Hi - I've read several posts on concerns of BC holding up in heat and humidity. I have two graduation cakes for next weekend which I want to use Dixie's Icing on - so decided I should run a test first.

If interested here are the results of the test - needless to say I was thrilled! Please ignore the awful decorating job - I was in a hurry and didn't have time to do anything 'pretty'. Needed to use an edible image, gumpaste, and a deep color to make sure it didn't bleed.
LL
LL
LL

10 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 11

Thanks so much for posting your results! Tried and true - can't beat that! Now you can relax about that aspect of the two upcoming cakes icon_lol.gif

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #3 of 11

I am completely impressed! I just went to her website to find out more and went ahead and ordered the sample pack to try out! I was thrilled to see that you can mix cream cheese in her icings to make a sturdier cream cheese icing! Whoo hoo!

Thanks for the field test! I might be a convert to RTU Icing...I used to think that stuff was nasty, but Dixie's sounds really yummy! We shall see... thumbs_up.gif

snowshoe1 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #4 of 11

Fluttercakes - let me know what you think of it. Its the only BC icing the gang here likes (and I've tried almost every recipe out there). It does not crust, as I'm sure you saw on her website, but it is a dream to work with and super easy to get a smooth cake. Again, please do let me know if you like it and if you have any good tips for taste combos. Adding creamy peanut butter is fantastic.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #5 of 11

I really don't mind that it doesn't crust, but I just had a thought...can you use stencils on it or it that completely off limits? Or maybe you could just freeze it for a while just to make the icing hard enough so that the stencil won't stick? Thoughts?

snowshoe1 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:28am
post #6 of 11

Good idea to try freezing it - never tried a stencil but I guess I'll have to now icon_wink.gif - the woman who answers the phones there could probably let you know the best way.

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:51am
post #7 of 11

Where do I get the recipe for this BC? I have a wedding in August that is outside, I'm trying to find the best icing for this situation.

TIA,
chele

snowshoe1 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #8 of 11

There isn't a recipe for it that I know of. I found out about it on CC and bought it from http://www.dixiesicing.com/ - there is a promo video on the site. FYI - it does not crust.

HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 11

You can freeze it for a short time and should be able to stencil on it as soon as you take it out of the freezer. I froze it and traced a design on it and it worked fine. Dixie is local and I took classes from her........she is amazing. That's how I found out about chefmaster colors and I wont use anything else now. You can get a true red or black without waiting for it get darker and it doesn't take much color.

snowshoe1 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 11

Tiggy2 - do you use the chefmaster gel, powdered, or concentrated colors? Thanks.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 11

I use the liqua gel and the super red is awsome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%