Help!!! Calling All Cakers!

Decorating By cakegal Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 1:02am by itsasweetthing

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 12

Okay, my son's wedding is in a couple of weeks.
I'm making the WASC cake, 14" 10" and 6" top. Middle tier will be torted with raspberring BC filling.
Now.... I'm worried about the weather and the hall that the reception will be held.(No air conditioning)
Soooooooooooooo. I don't know if I want to cover the cake with BC icing,
or Rolled Fondant or MMF ...
I don't want the icing to melt off the cake if it's weltering hot and humid.
And if I do MMF... How do you keep it from getting hard til its time to cut the cake.
I will be setting the cake up in the morning.. Any help/suggestions as to which way I should go will be appreciated.

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 12

I would advise to use very reliable fondant and skip the raspberry inside. I would instead provide squirt bottels of raspberry coulis so you can squirt each serving.

Just a thought for you.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 12

I prefer fondant and I am in florida with no problem with the cakes outside for events.

I do a lot of cakes for a children's charity and they at times sit outside for presentations as the kids get play houses or are visiting a football player at a complex etc and have not had a problem with fondant.

I make the cakes in AC and finish the day before and they do not get hard - I use satin ice for covering the cake and the wilton stuff for accents and figures.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 12

Personally, I find the MMF to be too soft when it is hot outside. I prefer to use fondant that I purchase in the summer time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 12

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

My icing holds up in extreme heat. Crusts very well and has gotten rave reviews from other CC'ers. I use the sleeved red raspberry filling with no problems ever. Make a good dam with the BC icing, then filling with the BC-raspberry. you should be fine.

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 12

I would definately say stay away from BC in the summer. I had a wedding cake last year in which the person insisted on BC. I did it and when I got to the hall the icing had melted/slid down one tier and exposed the cake. Luckly I brought extra icing and was able to fix it and then cover with the fresh roses that were intended to be be put on at the hall.
But not all cakes would be able to be repaired so easily.
All the best!

itsasweetthing Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 12

A second thought....If you do go with BC, I'd recommend "sugarshack"s recipe.
I would have used it if I had it last year.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 12

I do nothing but BC. Summer and winter. Never had a meltdown. Ever.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 12

I'm going to do a small cake this week and try indydebi's recipe. Then I'll try sugarshack's and see which one I like best..
Thanks for all the help.
My DIL to be really doesn't want fondant so that's what's giving me the willies about BC...LOL..
Thanks again. You all are such a big help and inspiration.

jessnsam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessnsam Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 12

i think i'd go with the fondant just in case

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 12

Could someone pm me the sugar shack icing recipe please. I have a cake to do next Friday and I'm nervous about the hot weather too.

Thanks Tons

itsasweetthing Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:02am
post #12 of 12

You can find "sugarshack"s buttercream icing recipe here in "recipe's if this link I will try to add doesn't show up.....LOL
It is excellent. I would really recommend that you purchase her 3 dvd's that she has made.

Perfecting the Art of Buttercream
Flawless Fondant
Successful Stacking

Here is the link...
www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5313-19-Sugarshacks-Buttercream-Icing.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%