Working Ahead, Storing Decorations For Later....

Business By littlecake Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm by -K8memphis

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:24am
post #1 of 6

i think since july is one of my slow months, i'm gonna do this, make some fondant do dads.....

i'm gonna try to teach myself royal icing to do butterflies and other lil cute stuff.

i been looking over at the cookies that they make today...holy cats is there ever some cute stuff on here....i never woulda thought of putting decorated cookies on cakes.... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

anyhoo...what i was wondering if i made up a bunch of cookies, and decorated them with royal, can they be frozen, and how long will they be good?

i was reading another really old post about how someone makes up a bunch of frozen buttercream transfers and saves them in the freezer for later...what a great idea!

it would really cut down on the stress on friday and saturday, to have stuff ready, and it would be more fun making stuff when your not constantly under the gun.

i really appreciate having so many talented people here to be inspired by....after checking out those pretty cookies, i'm excited about decorating again...(and it's been awhile).

i better go to bed....can't believe i'm working tomorrow,,,,

i'm such a filthy capitalist!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:09am
post #2 of 6

You are so funny--filthy capitalist icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Shades of Home Alone.

Anyway I am not a cookie guru by any means. But I would not trust royal icing in the freezer for any length of time. It would break down in a heart beat if it got dampened by moisture so me I would not risk it.

One tip I do have is to loosen your sugar cookie dough up considerably with milk or water to piping consistency. Then you can pipe on eyes or bows or whatever simple decor before baking and that will freeze like crazy. Like smilie face cookies or whatever. I did lily pad cookies like this and just piped on the leafy kinda markings y'know?

Umm and my cake-buddy in my local cake club is responsible for the stuff I am sharing--not that all of it is original with her by any means either but these cookies taste so good! Hope it comes through cyber space ok

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:19am
post #3 of 6

So obviously a little tiny here but if you click on it it does make it bigger. I just fell in love with these and they taste better than the lofthouse cookies y'know at Kroger & Walmart & stuff with the big layer of icing and kinda soft cookies.

Just a cookie thought for you!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 6

wow that's a cool idea!....thanx for the website!

ok, now i'm thinking of freezing them with no icing....wonder how long they would be last?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 6

I had a wedding a couple of months ago that required 200 cookies. I wanted to make them ahead of time and with the suggestions from here, had wondeful luck! I wanted to do them in batches, so a week before the wedding, I started to to bake and decorated them with the royal icing, as usual. After they were all set, I would put them on cake boards covered with wax paper and put them two layers in the freezer, covered with foil. When I took them out about a week later, I immediately put them out on cooling racks single layer again as they did start to condense as they warmed up. Once all the condensation was gone (a couple of hours) I put them in their little baggies and delivered them to the wedding the next day! Worked out great!
I also have some none decorated cookies in the freezer just in baggies and they are doing well too!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 6

Well packaged they would last for weeks I'm sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%