Why Buy Something You Can Make Yourself?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 1:52am by jammjenks

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Quote:

nooooooo-then she'd see that we were all making fun of her!

LOL! Didn't think of that icon_redface.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie73

Direct her to cake central. Tell her that if she is really interested in learning to decorate cakes then this is a wonderful resource.People like me have learnt cake decorating here with the help of all you guys and this wonderful forum with no other help.

nooooooo-then she'd see that we were all making fun of her! I don't direct ANYONE but other decorators to CC! icon_lol.gif

Ok, so what is the problem ? if she sees this thread ? would she shoot all of us ? icon_cool.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #33 of 53

Okay, she is assuming the recipe for the cake is going to be an acceptable flavor?
That would be funny if it were a styro dummy.

I do understand wanting to know how to do a design but what cake you made it with and the suppliers to get the stuff from.

Hey...maybe she wants to know so she can figure out your markup over supplies are on it.

my other self suggests giving a doody cake recipe

but then I think of all the helpful souls here on CC are and....

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie73

Direct her to cake central. Tell her that if she is really interested in learning to decorate cakes then this is a wonderful resource.People like me have learnt cake decorating here with the help of all you guys and this wonderful forum with no other help.

nooooooo-then she'd see that we were all making fun of her! I don't direct ANYONE but other decorators to CC! icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I was getting a kick out of all the comments as I was reading the thread, but this one took the "cake" for me- it was toooo funny!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #35 of 53

[quote="all4cake"]Okay, she is assuming the recipe for the cake is going to be an acceptable flavor?
That would be funny if it were a styro dummy.

I do understand wanting to know how to do a design but what cake you made it with and the suppliers to get the stuff from.

quote]

I was thinking this same thing. I can understand wanting to know HOW a technique is done (we all do that). Surely she can figure out her own flavor preference.....

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:10pm
post #36 of 53

People, people - we haven't read the question correctly...the lady didn't ask WOULD she send the instructions, etc...she asked COULD she?

I think the lady is just checking on yourstruly's capabilities, certainly not trying to get something for nothing. Pshaw!!! icon_cool.gif

icon_lol.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura102777

Tell her if she can go to KFC and get them to give her specific instructions about how to make their secret recipe chicken to have for dinner before the cake, then you'll consider her request. icon_biggrin.gif

hahahaha!!!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #38 of 53

i confess it was me...gee i thought all of you guys were gonna start being nicer, and tell all your trade secrets....):

OH BOO HOO...i wanted to learn the easy way for a change!

YoU GuYs ArE ToO MeAn To Me!!!!

lol

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #39 of 53

Well..it just never ceases to amaze me how forward or rather rude people can be. I would find it quite rude for someone to email or call me and ask that ....I have had someone call me to ask if they can rent on of my character pans to make their kids' birthday cake...Ummmm .."NO"

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #40 of 53

Dear Dr. So and So
You came highly recommended and your record of successful surgeries is impressive.
I am in need of an emergency appendicitis and I plan on doing the surgery myself to avoid the insurance co-pay. I was wondering if you could send me detailed instructions on how to perform the surgery, as well as a list of surgical instruments and medications needed and the amount of time involved in removing ones infected and inflamed appendix. Thank you. icon_lol.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:00pm
post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

Dear Dr. So and So
You came highly recommended and your record of successful surgeries is impressive.
I am in need of an emergency appendicitis and I plan on doing the surgery myself to avoid the insurance co-pay. I was wondering if you could send me detailed instructions on how to perform the surgery, as well as a list of surgical instruments and medications needed and the amount of time involved in removing ones infected and inflamed appendix. Thank you. icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:02pm
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

I received an email from the contact form on my website.
It read:
"I was looking at your cakes and they are amazing!!!.
I really like the "Cake" one with the candles.
I was wondering if you could email me detailed instructions, a list of ingredients and supplies, where I can buy the supplies and recipes so I can make it myself for my daughters birthday?"

Is it just me or would that completely defeat the purpose of me having a custom cake business?
icon_confused.gif

I didn't read the entire thread but I definately have to say:

Not a problem! I will take the $65k you are purchasing my business for in money order or secure bank draft only. Are you sure you don't want to just order the cake?

FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif People have nerve!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #43 of 53

Gosh that takes some nerve.

I wouldn't reply back and if I did I would tell her I charge xx for teaching instructions.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:18pm
post #44 of 53

Well...I will give her this...she has a huge set of...never mind. icon_surprised.gif

I don't know that I would reply to this. On one hand, people like this have the hide of a rino in one sense, and on the other hand they are hyper sensitive. They don't mind dicing others up and get their shorts in a KNOT if they even think someone is dishing it back.

If I did reply it would be something like this:

Thank you so much for your interest in my cakes. I am thrilled that you think they are wonderful enough to inspire you to decorate. I would be more than happy to make this cake for you but will not be able to give out my recipes. I wish you the very best in your endevour into the fascinating world of sugar arts.

Kindest regards.

She would not be able to tell your potential customers how "rude" you were and to prove it with a nasty email.

Often people get so excited about something they don't put their brain in gear before they put their mouth and fingers in gear!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #45 of 53

umm... what did you tell her? hehe

i would have replied

SERIOUSLY??????????

and leave it at that haha.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:47pm
post #46 of 53

Just wondering how many of us have sent e-mails to Collette, Duff, etc. asking questions about how something was done, or what supplies they use (i.e., I remember seeing a specific thread where someone e-mailed Duff asking about the brand of fondant they use)?

Guess a lot of us have "a lot of nerve"... icon_wink.gif

all4cake Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #47 of 53

oh yeah...I know I've written Buddy Valastro...okay, not for a recipe but asking what type of cake he uses...I was terribly impressed by the look of the cake in the challenges...they looked like they had the ideal(to me) crumb I've been searching for in a cake.

Anyway, he was very kind and informative he didn't seem at all put off that I had asked...if he had been, he didn't let it show.

all4cake Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:42pm
post #48 of 53

I was surprised at the extent of the OP's emailer's neediness

and did you use coupons with your purchase, how much was shipping, did you get a bulk discount...

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #49 of 53

I made cupcakes for a customer's daughter's wedding. The day after the wedding she called just to thank me and tell me how delicious they were and how everyone loved them.

I told her that it was so nice of her to call and let me know how happy she was...and then she asks, "My mother wants you to give her the recipe for those!".

I assumed she was joking so I laughed and said that I could give it to her, but then I'd have to kill her. I heard her move the phone away from her mouth and tell her mom..."she said she's not giving it out".

Some people..... icon_rolleyes.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #50 of 53

I have personally written a few people with cool websites asking them for tips on particular cakes. Yes I even wrote Mike's Amazing Cakes with a question, and while he said he could not give up all his secrets, he did give me a few tips!

I also occasionally get emails saying "I live in another state but would love to make this certain cake from your website, could you offer any tips?" I usually try to do so, only because that's how you learn and I have done the same thing....very gratefully of course, and respectfully.

I will agree though that the OP's message seemed to be some kind of mom who didn't want to pay for the cake. In that case...I would have directed them to the local Michael's or ACMoore or Joann's for Wilton classes. icon_smile.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #51 of 53

I'm just as surprised when I look in the gallery at cake photos and see the comments practically demanding detailed instructions be e-mailed to them.

As if by uploading a photo, the decorator is then obligated to now type up detailed instructions and e-mail to every person who asks/demands.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #52 of 53

True...I've asked for instructions before but I am more like "If you have time could you tell me how to do [this specific technique]" in a PM.

I don't like when people say "Please send instructions to this email." I've gotten to where I pretty much only respond to PMs....it gets old typing out the same instructions to 15 different people who have left email addresses on the photo...although it is a nice compliment. icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise

If I did reply it would be something like this:

Thank you so much for your interest in my cakes. I am thrilled that you think they are wonderful enough to inspire you to decorate. I would be more than happy to make this cake for you but will not be able to give out my recipes. I wish you the very best in your endevour into the fascinating world of sugar arts.

Kindest regards.

She would not be able to tell your potential customers how "rude" you were and to prove it with a nasty email.

Often people get so excited about something they don't put their brain in gear before they put their mouth and fingers in gear!

Did you ever respond to her? If not, I sure like this response.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%