Unicorn Molds

Decorating By Nicolle711 Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm by luvbakin

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Everyone! I am new to this cake decorating club and need some help, advice, tips, ANYTHING!

I am working on birthday cake and the little girl loves unicorns. I would like to make a unicorn out of gumpaste or fondant but I am not sure what type of mold I need and where I can purchase one. I only come across the small unicorn chocolate/candy molds. I need something a little large in 3D that can work as a cake topper. I want to challenge myself in this project but if all else fails I will opt for a plastic unicorn topper I found online.

Any ideas???

Thanks for your help icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 10

I buy books for working with clay, but use gum paste to make them.

Nicolle711 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 10

Why kind of molds do you use for clay? Do you have ay specific book, author or website that you like to use as a referral? Thanks so much!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:17am
post #4 of 10

The books that kakedecorator is talking about generally show you how to shape it yourself. Like you would sculpt an object.

I don't think they sell molds for anything big like that. Most molds that I've seen are for small things, like the fondant lace on a cake.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:38am
post #5 of 10

I could only find one cake topper here of a unicorn but it is really cute! It doesn't look too hard to make, perhaps you could pm the maker and get some tips?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=294923

HTH's icon_smile.gif

Nicolle711 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks KrisD and Shola for your help! I am going to stop by my local crafts store and see if they have any clay books. But that 3D of the unicorn that you showed me Shola is perfect! I will have to pm the decorator for that! Thanks for your help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 10

I did a sculpted unicorn. It was actually a lot easier than I thought. I think the key was using edible glue. The recipe I use is from Aine2:

1 cup boiling water
1/2 heaping teaspoon Tylose powder
Sprinkle the Tylose over the water stir to combine but don't worry about the lumps.
Let set at room temperature overnight. The lumps should have disappeared, if not, give it a stir. Pour glue into clean glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate, keeps about 6 months.

It works even better if you glue the pieces when they are still wet, and not if you let each piece dry for days before attaching them.

Start with a piece of fondant and mold the body, then make the head, and each leg separately. I know that sounds like a no brainer, but if you break it up like that it's not so intimidating. Oh, and add ears, I forgot those icon_redface.gif For the hair I used a clay gun.

Good luck.
LL

Nicolle711 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:07am
post #8 of 10

Oh my gosh, your cake is beautiful! And your unicorn is even more precious! Thanks for the tip! The cake is not due for another 3 weeks but I am going to start working on the unicorn now! I will definitely use your cake as a model. Thanks again for your help!!! thumbs_up.gif

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:40am
post #9 of 10

Practice, practice practice! You will have a room full of unicorns, but the final one for the cake will be gorgeous! icon_biggrin.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolle711

Oh my gosh, your cake is beautiful! And your unicorn is even more precious! Thanks for the tip! The cake is not due for another 3 weeks but I am going to start working on the unicorn now! I will definitely use your cake as a model. Thanks again for your help!!! thumbs_up.gif

Thank you. You will be surprised how easy it is once you get started. Oh, and make extra unicorn horns as they are fragile and break easily.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%