How Should I Pick Up Torted Layers On A Cake?

Decorating By sweetlady29 Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 12:16am by sweetlady29

sweetlady29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlady29 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 14

I am making a cake for my family get together this Friday. I have already baked, covered in saran wrap, foil and cakes are in freezer. My bottom layer
is in the shape of a star. I am very worried about how I am going to torte it and pick up the layer without the star points breaking. What should I use to support the top layer? I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks so much!

Julie icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 14

I wouldn't even bother with torting that one.

sweetlady29 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 14

ok but will not torting it make it taste not as good? What do I use in a normal round cake or 1/4 sheet to separate the layers while I fill? I tryed using a bendable plastic placemat. I slowly scooted it under the layer. Is there an easier way?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 14

a large cake circle or an edgeless cookie sheet are great for this.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 14

The way I was taught was to slide a cake board in between the layers and lift it off. Do your filling and replace the torted layer.

sweetlady29 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks a lot everyone! I will try that. thats sounds better than using a flimsy placematt. It sure is hard to be starting out. I have decorated a few wedding cakes for family and some for birthdays, but I plan on making a business of it now. I am in the begining stages of the learning process. I have been preparing for this Fourth of July cake for a week now! With all the
cake designing and preparation I hope I'll have enough time to pack and get the kids ready! thumbs_up.gif

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 14

Good luck with your endeavor. Having CC in your back pocket will surely bring you up to speed alot faster than most. This place is great and everyonoe is always so helpful. I like the fact that no question is a dumb question because we all remember that we had to start somewhere ourselves. Best of luck thumbs_up.gif

sweetlady29 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks BJ I'm happy and excited to be part of the cake club. icon_smile.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 14

If you have a cookie tray, you can use that as well to lift up your layers. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlady29

ok but will not torting it make it taste not as good?

standard sheet cakes (around here) are not torted, so people eat non-torted cakes all the time.

I never even HEARD of torted cake nor had I ever seen a 3-4 layer cake until I landed on CC.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlady29

ok but will not torting it make it taste not as good? What do I use in a normal round cake or 1/4 sheet to separate the layers while I fill? I tryed using a bendable plastic placemat. I slowly scooted it under the layer. Is there an easier way?

I have used the flexible cutting boards and cake boards to lift off layers for torting with no problems. I actually like using the cutting board better because if I accidentally get it in the filling, I can just wash it off again.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 14

German Chocolate cake is my Dad's absolute favorite. To make it pretty I torte the 2 cake layers, so that it looks like this. That is the ONLY time I ever torte ANYTHING! I hate doing it! I always seems to make a mess of myself. I would rather make everything 2 layer, and fill in between.
LL

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 14

Welcome to CC Sweetlady - I personally like the flavor better of a torted cake (because I LOVE frosting) icon_biggrin.gif and unlike so many, I torte everthing. I use the large wilton cookie sheet that doesn't have rims on it when doing a particularly large or odd shaped cake so that it doesn't break. Even if it does crack a little, it is usually unnoticeable after frosting, which I really LOVE. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I have even torted the Wilton character cakes, which can make some of them a bit more of a challenge, but I do it because I LOVE frosting!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, good luck, post pics and Happy Baking and Frosting. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sweetlady29 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:16am
post #14 of 14

You are all are so great thank you. Great Ideas

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%