W A R N I N G . . . . .

Lounge By Doug Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 4:46am by KathysCC

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 30

be prepared for an onslaught of WALL-E cake requests.

Having seen it on opening day.....

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

he will just still your heart away!

Thankfully he's a little box with arms, treads and those big eyes

Dreading if any asks for a 3D EVE! her head floats above her body and her whole body floats!

as the risk of sounding like a commercial...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you'll love it.

29 replies
KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 30

Heehee....Wall-e has stolen my heart with just the commercials. icon_biggrin.gif

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #3 of 30

We just saw it Friday! My 10 yr old said it was the best movie he's seen all year!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 30

I just posted this in another thread, but anyone else notice how it's exactly the same little robot guy that was in the movie "short circuit"? Or am I the only one old enough to remember that one?

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:44am
post #5 of 30

Funny Debi, I said the same thing to DH when we saw the previews.

Doug my DD thanks you for your review....as it improved her chances of Mom taking her. LOL

Doug Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:56am
post #6 of 30

photo's for comparison:

Short Circuit's Johnny5:
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/images/johnny5.jpg

WALL-E:

http://www.igorstshirts.com/blog/conceptrobots/pixar_walle.jpg

WALL-E wins for cute!

-----

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara

Doug my DD thanks you for your review....as it improved her chances of Mom taking her. LOL

it's so good, I'd PAY to see it a second time!!!!

now be a nice mommy and take the whole family.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #7 of 30

My 2 year old calls himm Waawee... icon_biggrin.gif It's the cutest thing ever! icon_lol.gif (It's so cute that I went out and bought him a pair of Crocs with Wall-E on it just to hear him say it!)

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:35am
post #8 of 30

My 3 and 4 year old have been walking around ALL day speaking "Wall-E" robot talk. It's not so cute after 10 hours icon_lol.gif If they ever find out there is a jibit for their Crocs I am finished icon_razz.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:16am
post #9 of 30

I'm taking my kids soon to see it. The commercials just look so cute, but I was still wondering if I should see it so thanks for the review.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:41am
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I just posted this in another thread, but anyone else notice how it's exactly the same little robot guy that was in the movie "short circuit"? Or am I the only one old enough to remember that one?

I haven't seen the movie, but I thought the same thing when I saw the first commercial preview. He looked just like Johnny5. "No disassemble, Steph-a-nie!"

I did some googling and there's a lot of chatter out there about the similarities. But, my girls are 9 and 11 and have never seen Short Circuit. Maybe we'll go see Wall-E and then I can try to catch Short Circuit on the TiVo. They enjoy watching movies that we watched growing up. (They are big John Travolta fans, love Grease, and recently discovered Welcome Back Kotter and laughed their little butts off!)

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:38pm
post #11 of 30

I remember Number 5 from Short Circuit too! That was my first thought when I saw the ads on tv! I've heard such fabulous things about the movie.. can't wait to see it!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #12 of 30

Wilton's has the Wall-e pans, cupcake papers, candles, and figures. Buy them while their hot!!

kos

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:22am
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

My 2 year old calls himm Waawee... icon_biggrin.gif It's the cutest thing ever! icon_lol.gif (It's so cute that I went out and bought him a pair of Crocs with Wall-E on it just to hear him say it!)

Awww! My 2-year-old calls him Waawee too. icon_lol.gif Aren't they the sweetest? We just took him to see it today and we took his picture with the giant Waawee in the theater lobby. It was a really good movie. I was impressed.

I think it would be so much fun to make a Waawee cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm
post #14 of 30

What a cute picture, Kathyscc!

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:00pm
post #15 of 30

We saw this movie also it is SOOOO cute! My dh LOVED it and wants to go again LOL... Loved the message in it too and frankly I just love how WallE says his own name!

Dh and I talked about how WallE looked like short circuit too but WallE is the cutest (if you ask me LOL)

My kids (3 & 4) are already begging for toys and stuff (dh bought a WallE to put on his desk)...

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #16 of 30

We went ot see it on the 4th, and we thought it was a waste of $30. Our two boys liked it, but dh and I thought it was the worst Pixar movie yet as far as story lines. WallE was cute, but we weren't impressed. That seems to be the general opinion of everyone here that we've talked to...their kids liked it, but they didn't care for it.

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:32pm
post #17 of 30

Hmmm, I had no interest in seeing the movie. My kids haven't expressed any either but with all these great reviews I might have to!

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #18 of 30

I saw it last sat...then again on monday! My boyfriend loved it as well! I thought it was fantastic!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:20pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

We went ot see it on the 4th, and we thought it was a waste of $30. Our two boys liked it, but dh and I thought it was the worst Pixar movie yet as far as story lines. WallE was cute, but we weren't impressed. That seems to be the general opinion of everyone here that we've talked to...their kids liked it, but they didn't care for it.

I'm just curious, why didn't you like it? I want to take my 2 year old, but if it's a waste, maybe I'll wait....

Doug Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:47pm
post #20 of 30

after watching ET again last night, I was struck by how Wall-E bears a resemblance to him too -- especially in how he raises his head on his neck and uses his hands.

---
on why some dislike it:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/another-brick-in-the-wall-e/

http://kylesmithonline.com/?p=1330 & http://kylesmithonline.com/?p=1351#more-1351

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ODBmN2FmNjIwNmUxMDBkZDc5MjUxYWIwYjBjODExNzQ=

jen1977 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:23pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

I'm just curious, why didn't you like it? I want to take my 2 year old, but if it's a waste, maybe I'll wait....

We felt like they were trying to push an agenda about "Big Box" stores (can't remember what they called it in the movie, but basically Wal Mart), and how much Americans use and are lazy. It was basically there was too much trash on earth because of the "Big Box" stores, we used too much, and the earth was unliveable. Wall-E was the last of a group of robots that they out on earth 700 years before to clean it up, and it was stil la mess. All the other robots died or were overworked I guess. The humans (never said Americans, but I think they were menaing Americans) were big fat brainless blobs basically who couldn't walk, were lazy, drank their meals in drive thru cups, and had computer screens in front of their faces to do anything they wanted almost instantly. They were clueless to wha thad been done to the earth, and were basically lazy slobs who rode around in hoover lounge chairs and were given whatever they wanted. We felt the ywere pushing this "green" "wasteful" agenda that Americans are fat, lazy bums who do nothing but buy too much, use too much, and produce too much trash.

My boys are 5 and 7, so they didn't catch the agenda they were pushing, but we did for sure. Everyone we've talked to that we know who saw the movie basically thought the same thing. Complete wash of time and money if you ask me.

Amia Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:45pm
post #22 of 30

Hmm, that doesn't sound very good. Maybe I'll wait and rent it. Thanks jen!

KathysCC Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:31pm
post #23 of 30

I have a differing opinion than the above review. No one despises political correctness more than I do and though I saw that yes, they were saying we destroyed our own earth, it was not the theme of the movie, it was the background.

Ever since Planet of the Apes and Logan's Run and Terminator, they've been making movies about the demise of civilization as we know it. I have heard a few reviews about Wall-e that talk about a political agenda but I didn't see it. I'm thinking that we might have become too sensitive to the agendas because they have been pushed on us so much.

I'm the toughest movie critic around and I thought this was a good movie. If you want to see an agenda, you can see it but like I said, you can see the same agenda in tons of other movies set in the post-people world. The movie was really cute and had a plot that wasn't predictable and no potty mouth talk. I just didn't see an agenda being pushed at all. The people that were fat were that way because they were put on a permanent vacation by a mislead company who made promises they couldn't keep. I did not even relate those people to myself and I really don't think kids will.

Of course, this is all in my humble opinion.

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I have a differing opinion than the above review. No one despises political correctness more than I do and though I saw that yes, they were saying we destroyed our own earth, it was not the theme of the movie, it was the background.

Ever since Planet of the Apes and Logan's Run and Terminator, they've been making movies about the demise of civilization as we know it. I have heard a few reviews about Wall-e that talk about a political agenda but I didn't see it. I'm thinking that we might have become too sensitive to the agendas because they have been pushed on us so much.

I'm the toughest movie critic around and I thought this was a good movie. If you want to see an agenda, you can see it but like I said, you can see the same agenda in tons of other movies set in the post-people world. The movie was really cute and had a plot that wasn't predictable and no potty mouth talk. I just didn't see an agenda being pushed at all. The people that were fat were that way because they were put on a permanent vacation by a mislead company who made promises they couldn't keep. I did not even relate those people to myself and I really don't think kids will.

I have to agree with what you are saying. The story was first and foremost about the robots, the rest was backstory.
Even if you did choose to pay more attention to the background the message of taking care of yourself and your planet is hardly a bad one!

Amia Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm
post #25 of 30

I hate political correctness, agendas, documentaries, and all that stuff, too. I still want to see WALL-E though, so I'll rent it. I was really disappointed with the last Pixar movie, Ratatouille, and everyone raved about that one. So if I dislike WALL-E, then I haven't wasted as much money. WALL-E is adorable though! icon_smile.gif

jen1977 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

We had no idea what hte movie was supposed to be about when we went except it was about a cute robot. We were not looking for an agenda, but it was VERY obvious to both of us that they were pushing one. We were just surprised to see it being pushed in a kids movie...ecspecially one made by Pixar since we hadn't seen one pushed before. We hadn't read any of the reviews, and like I said, had no idea what it was about. I think agendas are pushed by so many people now that they could at least keep it out of kids movies, even though the kids don't see it. We will make sure to read the reviews of any Pixar movies from now on before we go wasting our money on another like this one. There were lots of kids who seemed very bored and disruptive in hte theater seeing Wall-E than in any other Pixar movie we've seen, and I htink it was because the storyline was very slow. I know everyone has their own opinion, and I'm ok with that, but I still stand behind mine, and it just happens to be a common opinion, at least the people we know who have seen it.

Doug Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:18am
post #27 of 30

re: agendas: truth hurts, doesn't it.

re: overall structure of movie --
basic literary concept -- plot and subplot(s)

main plot -- a comical love story ala Charlie "The Tramp" Chaplin and Buster Keaton. -- of course kids are going to be bored by this -- not really a movie for the squirmy set.

subplot 1 - defeating the evil machine! -- some action here while making all kinds of "tips of the hat" to famous Sci-Fi films, most notably 2001: A Space Odyssey.

subplot 2- reawakening of humans who've been on a 700 year over the top spa vacation to the need to do more that "recreate" but to actually "create" -- to add to life not merely passively exist and consume.

I respectfully submit that focusing only on the 2nd subplot as the main purpose of the movie, totally misses the very cute and very well told main plot. Poor little guy, gotta luv him in his total devotion to the love of his life.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #28 of 30

I just went to see it with my kids and they loved it. I did too, on all the levels. I mean, I could see the whole, fatty people with their faces in a tv scenario! We went to the beach and 3/4 of the people there had some kind of phone, computer, video game or tv, strapped to them! Go to the playground and take an inventory of how many people are actually PLAYING with their kids! *And it doesn't count if they're on the phone while pushing their child back and forth on the swing*
*sigh* sorry, climbing off my soapbox now, it WAS a cute movie and one of the things I loved about it was that there was nothing scary for my kids to cover their eyes or ears (disgusting skeleton in 'Incredibles', Ego telling Linguini he wanted to EAT his heart in 'Ratatoille', mutilated toys coming from under the bed in 'Toy Story', etc). My daughter commented that it would be the first movie we didn't need to edit icon_lol.gif

jen1977 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #29 of 30

Truth hurts? It's not the truth in our house. We recycle, live modestly, and are active. We limit screen time to one hour on weekends and summer time, and 30 minutes on school days. May be the truth for some, but not for us. I just don't think they need to start pushing their agendas in kids movies, that's all. We get it everywhere else...leave the kids movies alone.

KathysCC Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

I hate political correctness, agendas, documentaries, and all that stuff, too. I still want to see WALL-E though, so I'll rent it. I was really disappointed with the last Pixar movie, Ratatouille, and everyone raved about that one. So if I dislike WALL-E, then I haven't wasted as much money. WALL-E is adorable though! icon_smile.gif

That's funny amia1024 because I liked Ratatouille. We have different movie likes and dislikes for sure, so you may not like Wall-e either.

And jen1977, I have a website that I love to go to for movie reviews because it has a neat ratings scale and if you click on the movie name, it shows you in detail anything and everything that might be offensive, especially the sensitive stuff that you don't want your kids seeing. I kind of like warning about what my kids will be seeing in the theater. Here is the link:
http://preview.gospelcom.net/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%