Substitute For Tylose

Decorating By fariak Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 9:07pm by ibmoser

fariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fariak Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 2

Hi -
I have moved to Saudi Arabia and besides being new to the area I have not been able to find several ingredients. I went looking for Tylose to use in a recipe provided on this site and sadly found none! People asked me for a different name or what it was made of and sadly I have no idea. Getting food items shipped from another country here is yet another issue so I was unable from a website.

Any help or suggestions on this would be wonderful.

Thank you all!

1 reply
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 2

Tylose is a brand name of CMC - carboxymethylcellulose. It is a synthetic substitute for the more expensive gum tragacanth. You should be able to find the natural gum tragacanth there as it comes from Iran.

Quote by @%username% on %date%