Michigan Bakers/getting Started Help

Business By Sweet-Dreams Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 2:26pm by bobwonderbuns

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:49pm
post #31 of 50

Well it has been awhile since this thread started. I actually do have a legal, licensed business now (In MI). I have a separate commercial kitchen that is located in my (finished) basement. It really wasnt HARD to do. It just took a lot of time, paperwork, equipment hunting and of course money. The people from the department of agriculture here were very nice and helpful. I am sure this varies from place to place.

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:00pm
post #32 of 50

Congratulations! So how much did you end up paying for a separate entrance to the basement? Do you live on a subdivision? I think most people will be opposed to the idea inside a sub icon_sad.gif
Sheila

springlakecake Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:14pm
post #33 of 50

I didn't need a separate entrance. She said they used to really push it, but now they don't. She said as long as the kitchen otherwise was completely separated, it was fine. There is a wall and door to the other part of my basement. Again, this probably varies depending on where you are in MI.

I do live in a subdivision. I don't think anyone even notices. At this point I am only doing a couple of cakes a week, and some of them are deliveries anyway. Even if I had 10 cars pulling up here a day, I don't think most people would even notice that either.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:21pm
post #34 of 50

That is GREAT Merissa!

Jen icon_smile.gif

sjmoral Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:26pm
post #35 of 50

That is really great news for us. We were going to look at houses with a ground level basement which would be great anyway, but now I see I have other options. I would love to see pictures someday but if you're not comfortable sharing that's ok, I understand. Your cakes are beautiful!
Sheila

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:38pm
post #36 of 50

Yes yes yes. Can you please post pics for us to see? I love looking at everyone else's space and dreaming....

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:10pm
post #37 of 50

Home baking in Michigan is going to be a challenge as it is in places like Texas and NJ. It is all about politics & competition with brick and mortars and unfortunately folks don't realize there really is enough business for everyone. There is an article about one baker in Okemos, MI who beat the odds and has a commercial kitchen in her basement. I have seen it and had a chance to interview her. It was a long tedious process but she has a licensed commercial kitchen in her basement, so nothing...is impossible.

...And yes the kitchen part really is easy, it's developing the sales and marketing strategies and building a strong customer base that can be a bit of a challenge.

springlakecake Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:31pm
post #38 of 50

I did actually post pictures on another thread several months ago (this thread is pretty old!) I will see if I can find it.

springlakecake Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:38pm
post #39 of 50
sjmoral Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:15pm
post #40 of 50

Great kitchen! I can't wait to show the pictures to my husband who will be in charge of this part.
Thanks so much for sharing!
Sheila

raquel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel79 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:11pm
post #41 of 50

What I want to know is how the Amish get licensed. I went to a farm market this last summer and seen Amish selling food. When I asked what I had to do to do it they told me I had to have a licensed Kitchen. I am from a area of Michigan where there are a lot of Amish people and after living around them most of my life I wonder how they get licensed! I have not tried yet. But I do have a great friend who works in Agriculturial Department. I am going to pick his ear. If I find out anyting that will help any of you I will let you know. I would love to have a licensed kitchen and want to also know how to get a wholesale license. Do any of you know that?

springlakecake Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:33pm
post #42 of 50

Actually I bought my commercial refrigerator and freezer from an Amish man. He had been trying to start up a small business and it turned out his wife got sick soon after and he decided not to do it. So it sounds to me that he was also getting licensed just like everyone else.

springlakecake Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:36pm
post #43 of 50

By the way do you live near Clare? There are a lot of Amish families in that area. I lived in Mt. Pleasant for about 6 years.

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:34pm
post #44 of 50

Great pics Merissa. Thanks for posting.

raquel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel79 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:42pm
post #45 of 50

I was raised in Beaverton by Clare yes. But live in Lansing now.

yumcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumcupcakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #46 of 50

I live in a Ranch without a basement, so I will definitly have to rent out kitchen space. Any ideas where I can rent a kitchen near the downriver/metro Detroit airport area? I'm really looking into starting a cupcake business. I do not have the resources to open a shop, so I'm thinking of selling them from home (but baking them at a "certified" kitchen of course). Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:17pm
post #47 of 50

most people try churches

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:14pm
post #48 of 50

I am only a hobby baker but my sister wants to open her business. We live in Metro Detroit and have recently been laid off. She's single and I am encouraging her to see this as a new venture to follow her dream. I LOVE caking as a hobby, but I would never want to have my own business because I couldn't sell Avon without giving it away at cost. icon_smile.gif But I love making gumpaste flowers and would love to help her on the side. She is overwhelmed at trying to figure out how to do it. Luckily, she has a walk-out basement and it's very large probably could easily be remodeled to accomodate her needs. Has anyone taken any good business managment classes prior to opening his/her business? How do you go about finding out if you will be allowed to open a business with other bakeries in the area? I know of two cake shops but they don't sell the kinds of cakes I see here, mostly only wedding cakes and NOTHING like what I see on this site. Does anyone belong to ICES and what exactly can one expect from it?

blueskyent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskyent Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:04am
post #49 of 50

Haven't been on here for a while and just found this thread. I didn't know you were licensed, thats awesome. I really want to try and get licensed at home too but I just moved six months ago and just haven't had time to seriously take it to the first step. Dreading all the Dept. of Ag. crap, paperwork, expense etc, but reading about your experience was encouraging. It's looks fabulous by the way, are you enjoying it? Has it opened up more opportunity for you?

Melanie

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:26pm
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetideas

I am only a hobby baker but my sister wants to open her business. We live in Metro Detroit and have recently been laid off. She's single and I am encouraging her to see this as a new venture to follow her dream. I LOVE caking as a hobby, but I would never want to have my own business because I couldn't sell Avon without giving it away at cost. icon_smile.gif But I love making gumpaste flowers and would love to help her on the side. She is overwhelmed at trying to figure out how to do it. Luckily, she has a walk-out basement and it's very large probably could easily be remodeled to accomodate her needs. Has anyone taken any good business managment classes prior to opening his/her business? How do you go about finding out if you will be allowed to open a business with other bakeries in the area? I know of two cake shops but they don't sell the kinds of cakes I see here, mostly only wedding cakes and NOTHING like what I see on this site. Does anyone belong to ICES and what exactly can one expect from it?

There are a lot of CCers who are Michigan ICES members. It's a great organization and you learn tons at the DOS. We have two of them a year and they're lots of fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%