Heres A Question

Decorating By Merry1227 Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 4:18am by sandygirl

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone ever just bake a cake and not decorate it, maybe put butter cream icing?

I've been so swept up in decorating, I just was wondering.

Merry

8 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 9

I've done that to try out new recipes - most likely to send to work with my husband. That way I get feedback on some new flavors, etc. but they are a bunch of firefighters and don't notice the fancy stuff anyway - they just want to eat it! icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 9

That sounded a little mean...not like firefighters don't appreciate the finer things in life like cake decorations, but you know, they are a bunch of men and they just like the thought of home made baked goods to eat. They aren't focused on the look so I don't usually do any decorating other than maybe a simple border. icon_smile.gif

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

That sounded a little mean...not like firefighters don't appreciate the finer things in life like cake decorations, but you know, they are a bunch of men and they just like the thought of home made baked goods to eat. They aren't focused on the look so I don't usually do any decorating other than maybe a simple border. icon_smile.gif

I do know...My boyfriend would eat the cake out of the pan.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

I've done that to try out new recipes - most likely to send to work with my husband. That way I get feedback on some new flavors, etc. but they are a bunch of firefighters and don't notice the fancy stuff anyway - they just want to eat it! icon_smile.gif

NOT MEAN AT ALL!!! lol My little bro is a Vol Fireman and I am always baking goodies for the guys down there. I can spend 8 hours on cupcakes and they like them just as much as plain swirl top cupcakes lol. but I enjoy giving them to the guys anyway.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:58am
post #6 of 9

Not mean, true! icon_smile.gif
My DH is a grad student, and there is no better test audience (or to get rid of mistakes, extras and practice) than a group of hungry men!

I be they really appreciate it too.

I practice cake itself more than decorating and will just throw a quick icing or glaze on it before sharing out.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:10am
post #7 of 9

my husband and son and grandson, they want to eat mine right out of the oven, still warm..... just cake.... no icing.... with either coffee or milk

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:11am
post #8 of 9

My favorite kind of cake is non-decorated. I like a desert cake with decadent filling and light as air icing.
In the fall and winter, spice, apple, pumpkin and of course carrot are cakes of my choice.
For me it's all about taste, not bc roses, fondant figures or gumpaste flowers. Pretty to look at but I would rather dig right in to a little piece of heaven.

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:18am
post #9 of 9

Yep, when I started cake decorating i kind of got stuck into having to make cakes for birthdays at work. I don't mind doing it, I am the "big boss" and it is out of appreciation for the employees. I try to do one a month and it is to celebrate everyone's birthday that month.

At first I was using it as a chance to practice what I learned in class or try something new. Now most of the time I don't have time to decorate them, so they get a plain cake. Although I have been using it as a chance to try new flavors.

Anyway, the last time I took one to work was for a going away lunch, I wanted to try the high heeled shoes and purse thing so I made a suitcase and a pair of shoes for this cake. One of our patients saw it and it lead to my largest paid order to date, so I guess that extra time was well spent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%