A Few Quick Questions

Baking By ahuvas Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm by Joanne914

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 21

Hi

I jut have a few quick questions that I thought someone might know the answer to.

1, If i am making an ernie from sesame st cookie, do i do features first, let it dry and then do the face or the other way around? or do a glazed solid colour background and the features on top?

2. What is the best way to mark out features - as a guide for coloring on a baked cookie? Has anyone tried using a edible marker?

3. Can i store the wilton poured glaze or alice's cooking icing in a squeezy bottle *the type used for ketchup or mustard) for a couple of days or will it crust?

Thanks

20 replies
ahuvas Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #2 of 21

No-one? icon_lol.gif

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:24am
post #3 of 21

I like to glaze the cookie first and then do the features. I have used the wilton markers but only for small areas. I keep my glaze in a squeeze bottle that has a little cap. Your glaze won't crust with the cap but it may seperate. Just shake it really well. Hope this helps.

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:05am
post #4 of 21

Hi there!

If was making an Ernie cookie, what I would do is this. First I would use orange royal icing to outline his head, and black royal to outline his wild hair.
lol Then I'd "flood" inside the black and orange outlines. (I use squeeze bottles to flood large areas) I would let that dry for awhile (at least 2 hours) since I would need to go back and add the face details later on top of the orange. When I'm sure the orange is dry enough, I would then pipe white royal for the eye (on top of orange), with an inner black royal circle for the center of the eye, then flood the white and black areas. Do the same with the red nose. When all of that has dried, I would probably go back and outline the entire head and hair with black royal, then add his smile. Whew! No one said cookie decorating was quick! Have fun! And let us see Ernie when he's finished!

ahuvas Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 21

Would I have any problem with bleeding by doing the orange and black at the same time? Could I use Toba's glaze which I am already used to? Which recipe do you use?

I have already cut out the heads and baked them (elmo, ernie, bert and cookie monster). They look so cute even uniced I dont want to ruin them.

Joanne914 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 21

I use Antonia's royal icing recipe from this site. So I'm not really that familiar with using Toba's Glace. I have used it before, it's just not my
"regular" icing. I do know that Toba's is not as stiff an icing as royal, so I'm not sure about the bleeding part. I know if I used my recipe for decorating,
I could do the orange and black side by side without bleeding because of the
"dam" of flood icing that I put around the outside. I really can't remember how to make Toba's thick, but I'm sure you can do it. Maybe there's someone out there that uses that icing that could advise you. Antonia's RI
recipe is awesome, and if you try it, you might like it! Can't wait to see your cookies when they're done. I'm working on some soccer balls and grad caps right now, but the base is drying now, which is why I'm on CC! icon_biggrin.gif

ahuvas Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #7 of 21

Thanks for that. I have only made cookies once and while I think Toba's glaze is nice it smooths out and has no definition. I would like to be able to use a star tip for his hair. I have never made Antonia's recipe before but I think I will try and see how it goes. If it doesnt work Ill go back to glaze.

Joanne914 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:35am
post #8 of 21

I really think you will LOVE Antonia's icing...give it a try. It's very easy, just follow the directions (DO let it mix for 10 minutes! I just set my kitchen timer and go about my business! lol). Best of Luck!

ahuvas Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 21

Okay I made my first cookie and so far so good. The only things:

1. Only the black dried icing seemed a little porous and streaky on only some of the cookies although the white looks fine. Im am going to touch up with dye if I need to - I cannot be bothered making htem again

2. I mixed antonia's icing and almost straight away it seemed to lose its shine and form stiff peaks. I continued for 10 minutes because she said so but it didnt seem to make a difference.

3. I seemed to introduce a lot of air into the icing when I was adding colors?

Joanne914 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:15am
post #10 of 21

When are you adding your color? After I make the batch of Antonia's I separate it into bowls, and add the color to the small batches of white RI.
My icing appears to be "fluffy." (I can't say that it does form stiff peaks)
As far as the black needing to be retouched with dye, did you mix it well?
Maybe that's why it looked streaky. I have made a LOT of black in the last two days...and I just keep mixing it until I'm sure it's all black. I add a couple tblspns. of corn syrup to the icing when it's mixing, it helps to give it a little shine. I'm going to try and attach a picture of some cookies I just made with Antonia's and you can see the "shine" factor of mine. lol Can't wait to see yours when they're done...I feel like I'm making them right along with you! icon_smile.gif

joanne
LL

ahuvas Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:01am
post #11 of 21

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1238561

Here is my first cookie - cookie monster - the blue is still wet which is why its still shiny. I am happy so far but didnt add Karo to it so it wont shine. I will definitely do this next time - this is what I like about toba's glaze so much.

I definitely mixed the black - I think the streakiness is the same thing as the crystallisation that everyone talks about. I did also divide and colour in small batches because I need 8 or 9 colours for all the cookies.

Joanne914 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:59am
post #12 of 21

Your cookie looks FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif You are on your way now! The colors look great, and I really don't see any "streaks" in the black either. I will be anxiously waiting to see ALL of Sesame Street! But be careful....cookie decorating is addicting! lololol

ahuvas Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 21

Here are some more photos of the packaging and Elmo.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1238786.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1238788 - as you can see the googly eye cookie should have been cookie monster but oh well!

I am really excited because this is the first time I have ever done a decorated cookie like this and also its so different from what people do here I think they will really love it.

It is a lot of work icon_smile.gif cutting the stencils, cutting the cookies, making the icing, making the different colors etc... but I can understand why it is addictive - you always want to push yourself to do better and try out new techniques etc..

ahuvas Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #14 of 21

Here are some more... you can telli am getting tired because they arent as neat but still happy. Im going to do Oscar the grouch next because im short a few cookies and he is easy to do.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1239135.html

MizzCandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MizzCandi Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:57am
post #15 of 21

Your cookies look fabulous! I can't believe this is only your second time doing cookies. I too have only tried decorating cookies with Toba's Glace but can never get any detailed designs because it flattens out. I'm not a fan of royal icing because I don't think it tastes very good and it dries dull but after seeing your's I think I might give Antonia's RI a try. And thanks for the tips Joanne914!

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #16 of 21

Joanne914, I also use antonias RI for my cookies, but have never added corn syrup. it would be nice if they would have a little shine. I am really loving cookie decorating! I am practicing for my twin's jungle party nest week.

How much do you add to a batch of her receipe.

Thanks

Joanne914 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:31am
post #17 of 21

iramirez94...I usually make Antonia's full recipe, which is 2 lbs. of powdered sugar, and when the 10 minutes of mixing time is almost up, I "squirt" about 2 tablespoons (guessing here) into the mixing bowl with the icing, and let it mix up for another minute or so. I have never actually measured it, but that seems about right. Happy baking! icon_smile.gif

ahuvas Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:24pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzCandi

Your cookies look fabulous! I can't believe this is only your second time doing cookies. I too have only tried decorating cookies with Toba's Glace but can never get any detailed designs because it flattens out. I'm not a fan of royal icing because I don't think it tastes very good and it dries dull but after seeing your's I think I might give Antonia's RI a try. And thanks for the tips Joanne914!

Haha MizCandi - it might be my second time but Ive baked a thousand times in my head before.

Ive been reading this board for over a year and have only decorated a handful of times in that period, the rest of the time I think, read and plan how I am going to make something but rarely find the time to actually do it. Im in the middle of my PhD so when I actually time off the last thing I feel like doing is dragging out my heavy mix master. THat being said, everything I have learnt re cake decorating and cookie making I learnt here seriously.

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #19 of 21

Thanks Joanne914. I will make antonia's and add the syrup. i will post my jungle cookies later. - come to think of it i have a lot to post, I haven't had time to do it.!

Ahuvas- your cookies are fabulous!

ahuvas Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:22am
post #20 of 21

The party was such a success - between the cake and cookies everyone was so happy. I got a legitimate offer of business - for 3 dozen cookies, and three people asked for a business card! There is literally no-one in the jewish community who makes kosher versions of this stuff and its such a compliment but I am in the middle of my PhD icon_smile.gif Its not quite the right time and I have so much to learn.

Joanne914 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #21 of 21

ahuvas,
All I can say is mazel tov on your successful party! icon_biggrin.gif

Joanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%